Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum General discussions

Croatia's homosexuals go public

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 19:44   #1
winter days ...

source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4331958.stm

More than 1,000 Croatian gays and lesbians have had their names published in several of the country's newspapers in a bid for greater tolerance.
One thousand two hundred names appeared in the advert under a banner reading: "I don't want to hide any more."

It also carried the message: "Little divides us and a lot unites us. Reconsider your prejudice."

Homosexuals face severe prejudice in Croatia, where the influence of the Catholic Church is very strong.

Softening of opinion

Many have been the subject of hate crimes and five years ago, when the country's first gay pride march was held, there were anti-gay protests and violent incidents.

The advert, which appeared in three newspapers and several magazines, was sponsored by the government and several rights groups.

The people named on the list identified themselves as either gay, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual, queer or heterosexuals who support the campaign.

A letter denoting their orientation appeared by their name.

Although surnames did not appear on the list gay rights campaigners say it is still a significant gesture.

"Even though it's just a symbolic coming out, without full names, this is a good reflection that gays in Croatia are gathering courage to fully expose themselves and that society is growing more tolerant," Dorino Manzin, head of the country's leading gay and lesbian group, Iskorak, said.

An estimated 88% of Croatia's population of 4.4 million people are part of the Roman Catholic Church, which says that homosexuality is morally wrong.
Old 11-10-2005, 19:57   #2
Участник

Send a message via MSN to zebu
lol i didnt think that would be an international news.

to tell u the truth i dont know that any violent incidents occured in those gay prides, name calling and stuff yes but other i think not. theres always lots of police and security around those things so nothing bad happens.
this government surely didnt sponsor this thing, party that is not in power gave money, the rest was given by members of that gay organisation.
~~~~~~~~~~~
pogledaj da li me mozes presnimiti
Old 11-10-2005, 23:56   #3
the unattainable kish

Send a message via ICQ to kishkash Send a message via MSN to kishkash
now's the time little one...come out of the closet with pride and announce to the world that u like to hike
~~~~~~~~~~~
Ze origional p.I.m.p
karens quote of the day: 'If i were gay it'd be so much easier'

forkMeRaw | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ urmamawantsme@hotmail.com ]
Old 12-10-2005, 22:44   #4
Участник

Send a message via MSN to zebu
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishkash
now's the time little one...come out of the closet with pride and announce to the world that u like to hike
lol i saw my name with correct age 2 times on that list
~~~~~~~~~~~
pogledaj da li me mozes presnimiti
ReplyPost New Thread