Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum Sports and Entertainment

Classical Music

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 15-10-2003, 02:16   #21
shit happens :D

Send a message via ICQ to karxwp
1- for me the kickers are the violins and the piano *jumps happily* my girlfriend plays the piano wow...amazing...the other day she played two of my favorites "Moonlight" (Beethoven) and Preludio of Bach (and here I thought I could only love this piece in Vanessa's Me Violin.)

Classical, as febrika wrote it I also love Opera

2- LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

3- Beethoven, Mozart, Bach.
Old 15-10-2003, 03:01   #22
заичонок

Re: Classical Music

Great thread, Darje!

1. What is your concept of classical music?

Now there's a toughie, for which I can't come up with a pat answer. It's an easy label that covers a variety of musical styles. Though I'm not always convinced that some of the artists/works included in e.g. the Classic FM classical chart should necessarily be there.

2. Do you enjoy it?

Depends on what it is. I'm not a huge fan of Wagner, a prejudice that I've acquired from my former music teacher, but in general I'd say that I enjoy classical music. I'm not overly keen on certain things that have been overused on commercials and the like, however. E.g. Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Ravel's Bolero (even though it's a really nice piece of music), Rossini's William Tell Overture (the bit that everybody knows - the first, slow part is beautiful, and doesn't get played nearly often enough).

3. Who/what is your favorite composer/piece/melody/opera/etc.?

Lots, for various reasons. I like Peter Warlock's Capriol Suite and his Beethoven pastiche Beethoven's Binge, the latter because it's quite an amusing piss-take of Beethoven's 5th. I love Bach's double violin concerto, and Bruch's violin concerto. Elgar's cello concerto, Mozart's Symphony No. 40, Beethoven's Egmont overture, Handel's Zadok the Priest...

I think Mozart's requiem is beautiful, moving and wonderfully singable. I'm quite attached to various anthems and magnificat and nunc dimittis settings by composers such as Stanford, Parry and Vaughan-Williams because I sang them with the choir when I was at high school. I like Faure's requiem and various choral works by John Rutter for similar reasons. I'm also keen on clarinet music, because I used to play in various orchestras and wind bands.

Finally, 3 things I want to sing with a choir before I die: Orff's Carmina Burana, Allegri's Miserere and Barber's Agnus Dei (the choral setting of his Adagio (the music from Platoon, if that means anything to anyone), which someone once compared to sex, with its build up to a climax and an afterglow-like fading away at the end )

Eek! Hope all this doesn't sound too pretentious...
~~~~~~~~~~~
You've cried enough this lifetime, my beloved polar bear
Old 15-10-2003, 20:38   #23
Участник

1. Classical music is music that is written with classical orchestration in mind, i.e, string, woodwind, brass, percussion sections, choral, and solo instuments, or some subset of that. However, I don't believe its limited to that instrumentation at all, as musicians like Robert Fripp use classical motifs in much more modern instruments.

It isn't limited by a time. There are componants of classical music in medieval gregorian chant, and in John Williams sound tracks for Star Wars.

Musically, it tends to have more layers (percussion, base line, melody, harmony, counter point, counter melody, etc.). Keys change. Modes change (major and minor scales are two example of modes).

2. Absolutely!

3. Here are a few:
Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. I must have a dozen versions.
Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition. Again, easily a dozen version (original piano, Ravel's orchestration, plus Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's electronic version).
Samual Barber - Adagio for String, and Overture to School for Scandal
J.S. Bach (not to be confused with P.D.Q. Bach) - Brandenburg Concertos, plus lots of misc. organ music

In a sense, I think of classical music as a sort of general category of music similar to the way rock can refer to various genres of music. Within the broad heading of rock you have pop, heavy metal, punk, alternative, etc.).

In all of this, it is important to notice how one genre evolves into and influences the next genre. English folk music begats american folk, which evolves into bluegrass. A different folk tradition and history begats blues. Bluegrass becomes country. Blues becomes jazz, and they both lead to rock and roll. Rock and country now converge in a kind of pop (Sheryl Crow, Kid Rock, and Shania Twain all appear on both MTV, and CMT).
Old 16-10-2003, 04:08   #24
the unattainable kish

Send a message via ICQ to kishkash Send a message via MSN to kishkash
Quote:
Carl Orff's Carmina Burana
OMG i LOVE carmina burana (or as i called it as a child...the satan song)

Lets not forget my other fav...Bolero

and then there's Thus Spake Zarthrustra...or Thus Zarthustra Spake....well u ger the idea. Its quite the catchy tune

Then there's every classical composer i've ever listened to ... too many to name

p.s. GO WOODWINDS ... though i don't evern remember playing anything tradionally strictly classical... *scratches head* not in any of the orchestras i was in
~~~~~~~~~~~
Ze origional p.I.m.p
karens quote of the day: 'If i were gay it'd be so much easier'

forkMeRaw | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ urmamawantsme@hotmail.com ]
Old 16-10-2003, 04:24   #25
Harrumph.

Charles, you hit the nail. Samuel Barber's Adagio inspired me in a number of fics and I ADORE it.
Old 16-10-2003, 05:17   #26
заичонок

Quote:
Originally posted by kishkash
OMG i LOVE carmina burana (or as i called it as a child...the satan song)
Snork! It was "the Old Spice song" for me, though now I prefer to call it Carmina Banana...
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 16-10-2003, 05:47   #27
Harrumph.

Carmina Banana? What a lack of respect. XD
Old 16-10-2003, 06:00   #28
заичонок

Quote:
Originally posted by darje
Carmina Banana? What a lack of respect. XD
I like to think of it as a pet name for something that I hold in great affection. I don't tend to do respect
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 16-10-2003, 14:54   #29
motylik

Send a message via ICQ to Lena410
I LOVE Carmina Burana It's awsome. *nod nod* one of the reasons I had such a good music mark last year.

I loved how Carl Orff used the latin language so well..and the music is great...but I loved the latin in it..me and my friend were always discussing words we understood and trying to understand without reading the translation..
hm..I miss Latin..that's strange since I have it every second day..*shrugs*

Carmina Banana? Well that name does suit it somehow *shakes head laughing*
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Asking the right questions will make all the doubts go away." ~ German teacher
"Having the right doubts will make all the questions go away." ~ My best(est) friend ^^
Old 17-10-2003, 01:32   #30
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
1.) definition:

By Hyperdictionary:

Quote:
"traditional genre of music conforming to an established form and appealing to critical interest and developed musical taste."
AMG definition:

Quote:
"Classical music is probably the most misunderstood of all musical categories, a result of its seeming remoteness — it is, after all, far older than any of the other major musical fields, dating back to the fifth and sixth centuries. But it is also easy to understand — even for the listener utterly unschooled in its forms — on its own terms, because it is the most formalistic of music. It is a music of precision and allows the listener a very clear look at both the intent and design of the composer.

Classical music is built upon a shared repertory of established works and their different interpretations. As opposed to most pop listeners, for whom the overall sound of a recording is usually more important than details, classical listeners normally dwell on details of interpretation and the nuances of playing. Those details are everything — the differences in interpretation, and those nuances of instrument or voice, drive the whole field of classical music. Of course, there are exceptions to these generalizations — classical listeners, to some degree, are buying the overall sound of a piece, regardless of the way it is performed. But even many casual classical listeners tend to be more analytical than all but the most serious rock listeners."
2.) I enjoy it very much. Ever since I was a child.Got hooked on it like many others befor me - watching Tom & Jerry cartoons

3. ) What do I listen to? Oh my word... I don't know all the titles but I can easily say the master Wolfgang Amadeus is my favourite of them all (how stereotypical LOL) (Eine Kleine Nachtsmusic, Piano Sonata #15 in C minor, Figaro's Wedding...plus many more I don't knwo the names of. )...

Then there's Ludwig Van Beethowen of course with the unforgetable 5th and 9th symphonies. I aslo like his Piano Sonata's #8 and #14 in C minor. "Fur Elise" is also one special in my heart.

Not to forget Peter Iljitsch Tschaikowsky - Nuttcracker, the Swan Lake & 1812 Overture are the obvious choices here.

I also like some special classic tunes, like the epic "Also Sprach Zaratustra" by Richard Wagner that was made famous again by the movie Space Oddisey 2001.
Then there's the "Flight Of The Bumblebee" (don't know by who unfortunately).

Regarding classical opera I went to see only one in the national theatre years ago and I still comsider it the best - The Bat (I hope that's the correct translation) by Richard Strauss
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 17-10-2003, 01:37   #31
Bitchka

Quote:
I can easily say the master Wolfgang Amadeus is my favourite of them all (how stereotypical LOL)
'cause he is the true genius
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 17-10-2003, 01:41   #32
заичонок

Quote:
Originally posted by freddie
Regarding classical opera I went to see only one in the national theatre years ago and I still comsider it the best - The Bat (I hope that's the correct translation) by Richard Strauss
I believe that's right - Fledermaus just sounds so much nicer than "bat", though
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 17-10-2003, 01:50   #33
Echoes among the Stars

freddie, it is JOHANN Strauss They are quite different really And yes, you're right, it's "The Bat," but usually people just say "Die Fledermaus," even in English.

It's more like "light" opera; in some places it might be performed only in an operetta house rather than the opera itself - i.e., not in same place where they put on "Aida" or "Norma." But yeah, I like it too.

Last edited by russkayatatu; 17-10-2003 at 02:03.
Old 17-10-2003, 06:23   #34
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Quote:
Originally posted by russkayatatu
freddie, it is JOHANN Strauss They are quite different really And yes, you're right, it's "The Bat," but usually people just say "Die Fledermaus," even in English.

It's more like "light" opera; in some places it might be performed only in an operetta house rather than the opera itself - i.e., not in same place where they put on "Aida" or "Norma." But yeah, I like it too.
Johann sorry *blushes*. I know the difference. It was a slip.

I still love this opera though. LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 17-10-2003, 19:49   #35
<-- she...mine!

Send a message via AIM to skye Send a message via Yahoo to skye
Re: Classical Music

Quote:
Originally posted by darje

1. What is your concept of classical music?
2. Do you enjoy it?
3. Who/what is your favorite composer/piece/melody/opera/etc.?

1.Excellent what could be better than classical music Because I play many instruments
2.IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LLLLLLLoVVEEEEEEE itttttt ssssssooooo muchh!!
3.J.S.Bach of course!!!!!!!!!
As my acknowlege of music.....Tchaпkovsky is a GAY!!!!!(Famous Russian musicains all are gays ) tho he dislike himself being a gay even if he did get married with a wowan(a fan threaded him to marry her)

Last edited by skye; 17-10-2003 at 19:56.
Old 18-10-2003, 04:23   #36
dirty white boy

1. My concept of what classical music encompasses has been
heavily influenced by what gets filed under the "Classical"
section of CDs at Wal-Mart, where I work.
Piano works, instrumental pieces, opera, ...

2. Indeed.

3. I ьberlufs the song "Cuor Senza Sangue" ["Bloodless Heart"],
sung by Emma Shapplin. [According to Wal-Mart, it'd be
considered classical. :P] From the purely instrumental side of
the genre, I'd pick Paganini as a favorite composer - he wrote
some of the most instrumentally complex pieces I've ever
listened to.
Old 25-10-2003, 07:19   #37
My Waking Hour

in the past pop musicians used to rip off old classical pieces - that's why some of them sounded so cool. ( before they started copying older songs, that is ) I remember listening to one of Glinka's pieces ( who is Russian classical composer ) and thinking, "jee, that sounds exactly like Y.M.C.A.. And somehow I don't think it's a coincidence or that it was him who copied the Village People...

There are more examples out there...prolly from the Stones, or s'thing

Quote:
J.S.Bach of course!!!!!!!!!
Bach is the best for religious classical music. Nobody even comes close...not even Handel.

btw, how about Uefa's Champions League theme by Vangelis? That is surely a modern classical piece

Last edited by spyretto; 25-10-2003 at 07:36.
Old 25-10-2003, 07:42   #38
Участник

Quote:
how about Uefa's Champions League theme by Vangelis
Brings a tear to my eye each time....I also like his theme song for the 2002 World Cup.
Old 27-10-2003, 14:32   #39
My Waking Hour

He'll also compose the theme for Athens 2004...Vangelis is totally awesome..
ReplyPost New Thread