Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum Sports and Entertainment

Mona Lisa Smile

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 05:52   #1
Yearning

Send a message via AIM to dare2dream28 Send a message via MSN to dare2dream28
Mona Lisa Smile

This is one hell of a movie!! Definitely a must see! It has such a *wonderful* message and Julia Roberts plays the teacher that I've always wanted and thinks the way I have always thought.

It takes place in 1953-54 at Wessley college for girls. Kirsten Dunst does a *great* job at her role---makes you absolutely hate her until the very end. I swear she was the biggest bitch!

Basically, you have to remember what the image was for girls in the 50's...grow up, get married, be a housewife, and obey the husband no matter what. As I imagine, most of us say "THE HELL WITH THAT!" Well, that is exactly what Julia Roberts' character (Katherine) does! She shows the girls that you can go to college and actually do something with your degree other than use it to measure how big your meatloaf is going to be.

This is *such* an inspirational film and such a slap in the face on how hard the image was for girls back then. My goodness there was no way I would've been able to live back then...I'd drive mysefl crazy!

And if you need a little more motivation to go see the movie (but this part really shouldn't matter, it's a great movie!), there is brief hints of lesbianism in it. One girl goes around kissing the other girls (not on the lips, but close one time) like it's no big deal to anyone. Also, she is the "comforter" of the group. I think it's funny when at the end, I can't tell you why or else I'll spoil it, but she puts her arm around Kirsten Dunst's character (Betty) and just looks like "Yep. I'm taking her home. *wink wink, nudge nudge* LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.myspace.com/dare2dream28 I DARE you to click it. ;)

Thanks to room4602 at the Spashley forum for my avatar. :)
Old 09-01-2004, 08:00   #2
winter days ...

this movie is being released in south africa today i hope to go and see it. when i saw the trailers a few weeks back it looked like an absolute must see !
Old 09-01-2004, 08:23   #3
shit happens :D

Send a message via ICQ to karxwp
you forgot that there's an openly lesbian teacher
ReplyPost New Thread