Участник

Extract DNA from Anything Living ::At HOME::

DNA! You mean I can see it? How?

Just follow these 3 easy steps:

1). Detergent
2). eNzymes (meat tenderizer)
3). Alcohol

It's that simple? Tell me more!

First, you need to find something that contains DNA. Since DNA is the blueprint for life, everything living contains DNA.

For this experiment, we like to use green split peas. e.g. click here!

But there are lots of other DNA sources too, such as:

- Spinach
- Chicken liver
- Onions
- Broccoli

Here's the fun part. Put in a blender:
Your DNA source (about 100ml or 1/2 cup of split peas)
A large pinch of table salt (less than 1ml or 1/8 teaspoon)
Twice as much cold water as the DNA source (about 200ml or 1 cup)

Blend on high for 15 seconds. e.g. click here!

The blender separates the pea cells from each other, so you now have a really thin pea-cell soup. Because this step is pretty messy, certain sources of DNA should not be used, such as:

- Your family pet, Fido the dog
- Your little sister's big toe
- Bugs you caught in the yard
- And now, those 3 easy steps:

->1. Pour your thin pea-cell soup through a strainer into another container (like a measuring cup).

How much pea soup do you have? Add about 1/6 of that amount of liquid Detergent (about 30ml or 2 tablespoons) and swirl to mix. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes.

Pour the mixture into test tubes or other small glass containers, each about 1/3 full. e.g. click here!

Try one of these detergents or whatever you have on hand. e.g. click here!

Why am I adding detergent?

->2. Add a pinch of enzymes to each test tube and stir gently. Be careful! If you stir too hard, you'll break up the DNA, making it harder to see. e.g. click here!

Use meat tenderizer for enzymes. If you can't find tenderizer, try using pineapple juice or contact lens cleaning solution.

What is an enzyme?

->3. Tilt your test tube and slowly pour rubbing alcohol (70-95% isopropyl or ethyl alcohol) into the tube down the side so that it forms a layer on top of the pea mixture. Pour until you have about the same amount of alcohol in the tube as pea mixture. e.g. click here!

DNA will rise into the alcohol layer from the pea layer. You can use a wooden stick or other hook to draw the DNA into the alcohol.

What is that stringy stuff? e.g. click here!

Alcohol is less dense than water, so it floats on top. Since two separate layers are formed, all of the grease and the protein that we broke up in the first two steps and the DNA have to decide:
"Hmmm...which layer should I go to?"

This is sort of like looking around the room for the most comfortable seat. Some will choose the couch, others might choose the rocking chair.

In this case, the protein and grease parts find the bottom, watery layer the most comfortable place, while the DNA prefers the top, alcohol layer.

DNA is a long, stringy molecule that likes to clump together.

Congratulations! You have just completed a DNA extraction!

Hope you have fun! It's worth it!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:01   #2
we shout

Thanks Kate!

Very interesting indeed to use liquid detergent. Hmm.. I always wonder what my DNA looks like. And I always wonder too if DNA of straight and gays are different.
Now .. how do I find out about that... hmmm..
~~~~~~~~~~~
I will forget my dreams
Nothing is what it seems
I will effect you
I will protect you
From all the crazy schemes

You traded in your wings
For everything freedom brings

You never left me
You never let me
See what this feeling means
Old 06-02-2004, 06:04   #3
Участник

denial,
Quote:
wonder too if DNA of straight and gays are different.
It's different, but the "sexual orientation" bit is the same. Sexual orientation is a state of mind, I think. Nothing to do with DNA. It's not inheritable.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:08   #4
we shout

But Kate

How about those research like gay have longer ring finger than index finger. I think its related to DNA too ..

umm .. what else .. there's another thread about it .. like the eyes blink, the pinky finger automatic stand out when a gay person drink from glass or can of coke ..
~~~~~~~~~~~
I will forget my dreams
Nothing is what it seems
I will effect you
I will protect you

You traded in your wings

You never left me
You never let me
Old 06-02-2004, 06:17   #5
Участник

denial, that's just coincidence...

If you are a man and in a state of mind of a woman, you do womanly things...
Old 06-02-2004, 06:22   #6

Thanks Kate. I've done similar things back at school. Fun stuff.

Yea, that doesn't have anything to do with genetics. But, portions of your brain MAY have something to do. I don't think so, though.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:39   #7
Harrumph.

I happen to miss the part in which this was fun.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:20   #8
Участник

darje, the fun part is when you see with your own two eyes the DNA which is a string of nucleatides, aka building blocks of life. Imagine all the information they encode! That's what is so amazing. I guess not everyone gets it.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:09   #9
Harrumph.

katbeidar, fun for me is to build a computer, complete with LED illuminated fans, cold cathode bars, a case window, a nice Asus motherboard along it's nice AMD XP 2.4 Ghz processor, two 80 GB HD's, and to boot, water cooling, then stare at it work and work on the information *I* created. But I guess not everyone gets how much fun it is to wonder how your motherboard/chipset/processor combination processes everything you're doing into a working interface that will be what eventually helps YOU decode DNA.

Want it or not, my kind of geeks pwns your kind of geeks.

If you feel like insulting me because I don't share your views on fun, bookworm, go insult another geek.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:18   #10
Участник

darje, I am sure it is very fun! I love computers, and how they work. And you don't have to show off how smart you are. Everyone has knowledge in certain parts on academics... I am only 17 y.o. I know nothing, just basic high-school education.

I have no intention of insulting you, or anyone else to that matter. Please, just respect my views like I respect yours. We lead two separate lives, and we will never meet, so just let it go, ok? What is it to you what a 17 y.o. in New Zealand thinks about homosexuality and stuff? Msg me on MSN if you want to sort out the "quarrel".

Back to the topic now.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:24   #11
Harrumph.

katbeidar, up to my sense of honor, you're NEVER EVER stepping foot into my MSN again. If you don't want people showing off in the first place, don't show off yourself. Let's continue with the self boasting! I haven't even finished senior high.

And you, respecting my view? My gay ass, Kate.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:35   #12
Участник

darje, whatever. Look, I can't help but be the way I am! Just like you can't help being the way you are. I hope you will forgive me. (Not that I have to forgive you for being a the way you are). I talked to freddie, and I changed my prespective on things a bit. Your sexuality doesn't bother me, and I can totally talk to you like a normal person. I don't even know what you are so upset about...

Anyway, when you come around, tell me.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:40   #13
Harrumph.

katbeidar, considering that I've been a dyke for, um, exactly 18 years, you shouldn't even have to consider you have to forgive me for the way I am. A change of perspective doesn't happen in one night, it happens in one year: I hope your normal little life doesn't crash when you come to realize I aren't your only pain in the rectum.

Good luck yourself. Not posting again in this thread.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:44   #14
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Quote:
Originally posted by katbeidar
denial,

It's different, but the "sexual orientation" bit is the same. Sexual orientation is a state of mind, I think. Nothing to do with DNA. It's not inheritable.
Kate ... we've talked about this. Saying that homosexuality is a state of mind wasn't spoken by a prominent scientist for at least the last 100 years. Today basicly everybody agrees that it's a mix of hormonal and genetic factors that determine our sexuality. And it's never black and white. It has all the colours of the rainbow in it. Orientation is SUCH a complexed thing... you can never label it or predict where it comes from or why it exists... it's diverse as life... and diversity is the spice of life. We should embrace differences, not just dismiss it all aside as "states of mind"? "States of mind?" when I hear that this is what pops out in my head - melancholia, dementia, paranoia.. THOSE are states of mind. It's higly unlikely homosexuality is one of those. :/
Inheritable? It can be. We talked about recessiteve genes and stuff remember?
But one thing I'm very sure of is that homosexuality is more then natural. As is bisexuality and heterosexuality... And gay animals are not the only proof. I'm pretty cartain that homosexuality is a tool of evolution as is sexuality as a whole and thus completely natural. It's all just different aspects of a broad range of human attraction that defies gender.

Of course I respect your opinion. I just don't agree with it, that's all.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Last edited by freddie; 06-02-2004 at 08:49.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:53   #15
Участник

freddie, I posted that before we talked.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:58   #16
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Quote:
freddie, I posted that before we talked.
I know... but it's not like I've changed your mind or anything, right?
~~~~~~~~~~~

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:05   #17
Участник

freddie, not exactly changed it, no... but I do think there is a possibility to inheritance of genes that promote certain concetrations of hormones that can lead to homosexuality...
Old 06-02-2004, 09:26   #18
Sad Little Monkey

Quote:
freddie, not exactly changed it, no... but I do think there is a possibility to inheritance of genes that promote certain concetrations of hormones that can lead to homosexuality...
Well there you go lady!
You didn't accept this point of view before we discussed it.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 07-02-2004, 11:24   #19
you'll need love

Quote:
Originally posted by denial
How about those research like gay have longer ring finger than index finger. I think its related to DNA too ..
Didn't it mean something else too? Like creativity or something? How does one know if it's one way or another?

Quote:
umm .. what else .. there's another thread about it .. like the eyes blink, the pinky finger automatic stand out when a gay person drink from glass or can of coke ..
You don't believe the pinky finger rule to be true, do you, Denial? Have you testet it?
~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't waste your time on me you're already
the voice inside my head
Old 07-02-2004, 11:45   #20
we shout

Quote:
Originally posted by TLFdk
Didn't it mean something else too? Like creativity or something? How does one know if it's one way or another?

Yes .. thats what I meant too ... Well it determine the color of our eyes ..our skin what else... our figure .. umm what else .. those are inherited ...

if somekind of patern of certain behaviour is also coded in our DNA? because we also sometimes inherited our parent behaviour.. even from parent that did not raise us or we haven't seen before.

Quote:
You don't believe the pinky finger rule to be true, do you, Denial? Have you testet it?
almost now ... LoL ..
~~~~~~~~~~~
I will forget my dreams
Nothing is what it seems
I will effect you
I will protect you

You traded in your wings

You never left me
You never let me