View Single Post
Old 15-05-2011, 23:40   #95
My Waking Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argos View Post
Yes, of course. But you can't enforce it, if most of the members don't like it, and I don't see a way to convince a mayority of more than 40 countries to vote for this rule. The ESC is far from such a future. Let's be happy for now that we don't have playback or autotune for the singers!
You wouldn't enforce it as a rule but allow the freedom to do it if you opted for. For example, restricting the performers to 6 on stage, well, that's a rule. Allowing a live piano as an option is not a rule, it's lifting a restriction. As I said there was a time - for a couple of years - where they would allow some live music to go alongside the prerecorded one - then they abandoned it altogether, probably because of the costs. But if wouldn't cost anything for a performer to play a real instrument on stage, when the instrument is already there as a prop, it's a little bit like deciding to go for the video wall to support your performance or simply use some props, there was a mixture of that yesterday. I see no problem in reinstating some of the musical aspect of the competition, and certainly it wouldn't be a rule to be imposed, it would be just lifting a restriction. Nobody would be obliged to do anything if they didn't want to.