View Single Post
Old 18-05-2009, 15:20   #263
My Waking Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanoff View Post
That was a joke!I knew that she wasn't gonna win with that messy show after all there were much better acts And that's true,we will never get bored of Eurovision and watch it every year no matter who wins
Rybak himself said it was his favourite and a lot of people were tipping it to do very well, not only you. At the end of the day my musical tastes are similar to the mass public - that's probably not a good thing but I do acknowledge that many songs were very respectable - Iceland for example was exactly the right song and a fabulous voice, France and the UK were not bad at all etc. This year, in fact there was a 50-50 split in the semis between the rubbish songs and the good songs. If the rest of the countries who sent jokey songs make an effort next season and if somehow Italy joined it'd be the perfect Eurovision.
Still it was a great show and the appearance by Tatu a nice touch ( though Katina gained weight again ).
My friend thought the best were Israel and Romania and Finland so I guess people like different things. But even those were not bad. So I retract my position about the contest getting worse, I guess I was listening to the wrong ones, it's probably the first time in ages that I'm left with a positive musical feeling this time around and as many acts decided to do a minimal or simple stage presentation and concentrated on the merits of the songs itself I can feel it's becoming more of a musical contest again ( that's what a lot of the media reported in the UK also ).

And I'd like to add that the song was a worthy winner, in fact the best song in terms of simple songwriting with a little sing along melody, that's why Europe loved it. I think it will go down well in history as a worthy winner compared to gimmicky acts such like Ruslana, Naumova, Lordi etc that people hardly remember any more or remember it with disdain. People will remember this as a decent song that won the contest, I don't buy along the idea that he won because he's cute.
I think only Serbia had perhaps a more powerful song in recent years than this one.
Before we had all those acts winning on the merit of the performance and the song itself was always secondary, at least this time around it was more about the song than anything else.