View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 02:43   #29
Echoes among the Stars

ahhh, sunnich, you are killing me here Japanese??? Here is what Japanese in Cyrillic would really look like:

Жя, тайхен дес не! Зензен лакаримас ё!

(if л was a "w" sound ) Trans: Ahh, it's strange, isn't it! I don't understand anything!

But BG, no no no BG is just like Russian ...stresses?? At least half of the time they're the same as in Russian...ahh, let me go through these sentences - like this first one:

Жените на времето бяха идеалистки, правеха любов заради самата нея.

First word - the root is жен - like in Russian: жена (wife), женщина (woman), here it looks more like жена, it even has the same end stress and the same plural ending (the ы or и). На is a preposition like in Russian. Времето (I will give you a hint: the те, то, та at the end of words is an article so you can disregard it when figuring out meaning), but in any case it looks just like время, and it even has the stress in the same place. Идеалистки is almost the same in Russian and it even has the same stress любов = любовь Заради - OK, the stress is different, but otherwise it looks like Russian ради, and the за doesn't mess things up too much because it's a preposition like Russian too. And самата нея: сама, you have the same stress and everything...нея, like ней - the same stress, and even a similar dative-looking word.

And this leaves just бяха and правеха, which have different endings from Russian but otherwise don't look too strange, and even sound kind of Slavic to me So if you're just looking at the sentence there seems to be something about women and time and idealists and love for itself, and that's almost the whole thing

I could do the same for the other sentence too, because aside from a couple words like хубаво and рокля, which don't sound Russian, it's the same story...една has the same stress as одна, тогато and когато - like тогда and когда, and the sentence is even constructed the same as you'd have in Russian: только то, что - (только тогда, когда - ). Желание, same stress and meaning; у тебе - different stress but it's obvious what it means, and not everything can be the same after all . Кажеш = скажешь ... and even the stresses that are different from the exact equivalent in Russian are usually found in different forms of the word: очи ('eyes', old Russian) ... other form: очей (end stress).

Does it really look so strange? Even the genders are the same, and the endings like хубаво and хубави ... the pronunciation is different, and the л changing to "w" in желание is definitely something new, but other than that...surely not quite like Japanese...maybe it's just because you're drunk, eh? Or maybe it's really not that easy for Russians after all ... I'm sure you can do it though

Last edited by russkayatatu; 11-11-2003 at 04:02.