View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 00:41   #23
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
It's a sad day when people have to revert to such petty excuse as "only 1.5 million people is considered a genocide" or "other nationals were killed as well" to justify attrocities of their own ethnicity. I think accepting one's historical faults and repenting is a true measure of a nation. Unfortunately this is one bitter pill Turkey just won't be able to dodge. It was to blatant to deny. It sends shivers down my spine when someone is semi-justifying the slaughter of a million ethnic Armenians with the fact that their own nationals were killed in the struggle as well. There is NO excuse. Ever.

This coming from me - a person who always supported Turkey's EU ambitions. What's right is right, though. And I don't think they should ever be allowed to join before they take that final plunge and accept their own mistakes. If not then Turkey's membership would be a total mockery of those killed in the attrocitiers.

Not to mention other things should be settled as well. First and foremost, the Cyprus issues. Second - human rights. They're walking a fine line between Arab style represive Islamic culture and the liberal western culture. A few years from now will show which one will prevail. And then the EU membership question will be resolved.

Offtop:
Oh right ... on a side note ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
Are you really that naive?
Trust me. The EU is in NO mood to listen to the US at the moment. Especially regarding it's internal issues. There's never been more competing between the two continents as it is now - the traditional western alliance is coming to an end (aside from the strong US-UK relations). Actually I think the EU would do exactly the opposite of what the US is telling them to do, just to piss them off. That's the level of economic and political competitiveness in the air right now.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.