View Single Post
Old 25-01-2006, 06:19   #45
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuff Grrl
The fact that there are differences blatantly implies that there is no single authority that can dictate which English is right and which is wrong
Well, maybe there should be, seriously, English-speaking countries should think about it, otherwise it will happen to English what happened to Latin and in a century or two from now, English may have diverged into a dozen different languages and people will no longer be able to understand each other.
Like i said in a previous post, the first purpose of a language is communication, and when a language splits into mutually unintelligible dialects, that's not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuff Grrl
Lexicons like these are created everywhere and anywhere which can further complicate things. Moreover these are used in casual and professional settings.
Words like these, IMHO, are changing the English language spoken here.
Well, there is a difference between creating new words, or even simplifying the spelling (and i've said several times that i do think that English could very much use a spelling reform), and completely diverging from the commonly accepted grammar with expression like 'he my brother' (absence of verb), 'he be talkin' (incorrect conjugation of verbs), or 'he done fought' (past participle directly following a personal pronoun without the use of an auxiliary verb and followed by a past tense, which makes absolutely no grammatical sense whatsoever and not just in English but in any European language).
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]