View Single Post
Old 25-01-2006, 04:52   #41
The Dream is Over, :~(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber
Wishing that a specific group of underprivileged children would be taught the correct way to speak a language is not racism, that's called "education".
But why should they be taught how to speak casually with friends and family?

I think Lux is totally right in demanding if anybody actually knew what they hell they were talking about because so far, nobody here does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
Fortunately most people don't talk like that anymore, that kind of talk died out years ago. Probably because people are taught proper English in schools. I expect the only experience you have of it is over-exaggerated TV shows

I rest my case.
Shame that it died out.
There's a difference from writing a term paper in Cockney/Ebonics and speaking to a neighbour in standard English (whichever standard that is). If both parties conversing with each other understand each other and prefer to speak in some dialect, then they have every reason do so!
What do you want? The language police to come over and give them a fine?

And by over-exaggerated TV shows, you mean Coronation Street. One, I can't watch it (I tried!) because I can't understand what they are saying. And two, in Ottawa, all I hear is the Posh accent from British immigrants, which I am quite frankly getting sick of.

Last edited by PowerPuff Grrl; 25-01-2006 at 05:43.