View Single Post
Old 26-09-2003, 19:24   #1
no....

Do you REALLY like music?

In my Design 3-D class, we listen to the radio. And sometimes it gets into discussion about the "music" we are hearing. One girl insists she loves all kind of music, but then proclaims that classical music makes her fall asleep and she can't stand music in other languages. Is it really MUSIC she loves?

Does she truly appreciate the blend of instruments? does she appreciate Key Changes and building layers of sounds leading to it? Does she focus on what's the most important part of the music, being THE MUSIC? Or is all the matter's to her the lyrics.

YES. She doesn't like MUSIC, she likes lyrics. Something she can understand and follow. I watched her, and she sings along only focusing on the LEAST important part. the lyrics.

And when i think back, there are a lot of people like this. TONS of them, who think they like MUSIC, but only truely focus on the lyrics. Not just this girl, bit it then turned out that 75 percent of the class was the same way. And i here this lyric driven crap in my dorm.

My thing is that:

Lyrics should only enhance a song, not make it. A great song should be a balanced, structured, blending of harmonies that move together and flow. It doesn't matter if it's voices, instruments or both. IT would be great.

But now, Lyrics have become so saturated to come to the point that it's only the words that matter, and this is backwords. it's NOT music in a sense, just a poem that has had sound come behind that can be changed at will.

I am speaking PURELY out of the American Public, and this may not apply to other areas. but i am getting sick of it. What ever happened to MUSICAL INTEGRITY! What ever happened to people appreciating the symphony?

I mean, i remember at the last grammy's when they played a great medly of GERSHWIN's symphonies. It was beautiful, and it got a good reception and a standing "O". and then almost right afterwards JA RULE and ASHANTI came on and peformed and when they were finished they got even more applause then Gershwin and a standing o. and there is something wrong with that. and most of those people were just screaming because of who they were, and not because of "The music"

I guess i'll have to realize it's not about music anymore, it's not music. it's industry. it's no longer an art to be respected in this country... something cold and cheap and easy to produce and not to be appreciated. It's why at my school the music program had a 150 dollar budget for both band and choral. And why the music programs are failing all over the country.

Music has been diluted to be something that isn't worth anything, and has ruined it for those who truely care about it.

:: SIGH ::

american's really can be that ignorant. and a lot of them are.

sorry for the rant... but, i'm bothered by this all.