View Single Post
Old 23-12-2011, 01:03   #227
Участник

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowerB View Post
You are a singer, Arnaudfrenchy. You know about music. You’ve been told what to think is good or bad in a performance. I’ve seen this before from people who are educated in music.

From watching the vids from St Petersburg, Yulia’s performance genuinely impresses me. Maybe her singing is crap according to all your rules, but the only thing important to me is the sound and the sound is spellbinding.
Its not only people educated in music. It is not just subjective vs objective, there is such a thing as intersubjectivity... there is a common agreement that a singer who cannot sing even in tune and lacks every capability , is not a good singer. Of course you can make up all the notions of a good singer to your own taste but then there is no discussion possible at all and there is no use in communicating in music; which is fortunately not the case. It would be saying things like: the tree in my backyard does not exist, only my great mind does (which may be true since men does not know the objective truth if there is one)... communicating the way you do about yulia does not make sense in this world.

I agree that the vocals are very personal whether they emotional 'hit' you or not, but wouldnt it be even better if this voice is both techniqually good or at least OK, AND the expressiveness? I think these two do strengthen each other and I disagree that Yulia can be classified as a great singer.

Personally, i dont see a point in listening to a techniqually great singer if it sounds like a machine (to my own perception) like Sarah Brightman... most important is the emotions that it can evoke like Faye Wong to me (also the combination with the music is important, the music is probably even much more important imo) and this will not happen to most people with decent ears with a voice like Yulia's.