View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 20:47   #99
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath View Post
Haku,...here no provocation from my part...but if I understand well, ...would it be a kind of mini United-States about the structure?
It's no provocation, i admire the federal structure of the US, it's one thing i do like. But the US federalism is more my model for the European Union than France itself.

I support the creation of a European federation with a federal government in charge of foreign policy, defense, global commerce, etc, pretty much like the US government, i also support the creation of European public services like a European electricity company, a European mail service, a European rail company, etc, because i don't think the rule of capitalism and competition is a good thing in all areas.

So if you compare to the US, it's France that would be more or less the equivalent of a US state, not French regions, regions would have much less power than a US state, regions would be in charge of what matters to people's everyday life, like roads, public transports, schools, hospitals, waste management, environment…
We're not so far from it today actually, the first step would be to abolish departements and to transfer their powers to the regions, second step would be to create a regional executive council separate from the regional assembly (to have a seperation of powers and democratic control), pretty much like what Corsica already has today.

For me regional autonomy goes hand in hand with European integration, reinforced regional powers must be balanced by reinforced European powers, each with distinct and complementary responsibilities.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]