View Single Post
Old 19-01-2005, 23:06   #19
Bitchka

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyretto
But my ignorant comment was just as ignorant as your comment about Macedonia. What else was Macedonia dude? The parts that are now F.Y.R.O.M. were a district of the Macedonian empire under Philip I,II and Alexander The Great. There was no other Macedonia. I'll pretend I didn't read that.
this is what its all boiling down to .... the complicated Balkan history and everybody's enourmous PRIDE! ha ha... I bet you lots of money the history lessons i recieved in my Bulgarian schools were a bit different than the history lessons you got in Greece spy we should compare!
I believe in the Bulgarians .. the Balkaniada comes not just from the Slavs, but from the proto Bulgarians! (if not more) of course, the local tribe - the Thracians were also pretty BARBERIC .. so if you ask me, in the case of Bulgaria, the Slavs were actually the 'best' (or the least barberic) tribe of the 3 that made up Bulgaria in 681, even though they were the most in numbers.
I will think more on how to describe/define Balkan Mentality as well...

and spy, dont worry, I completely understand what you are saying, because same applys for Bulgaria as well. Sofia is Sofia, and everything outside of it .... is something else - different culture and mentality. Up by the Denube and Romania we have the people we call 'Vlasi' who are Romanian related, in the South West region we have the 'Macedonian' region, where people basically speak a totally different dialect (Macedonian), by the Turkish border we have 'Pomaci' who are not even Christian, but Muslim, by the Black Sea totally different region and so on ... but isnt it like that in most parts of the world, not just on the Ballkans?

Ah, the Romanians .... i think we need a Romanian to come shed some Romanian light on the issue! Killa?

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyretto
Strangely enough this issue never came up when I was living with my Romanian ex-housemate...though we did talk about the language. I remember he was very vehement about Slavs though, calling them all sorts of names ( after watching Mihajlovic do his thing playing with Lazio, ie spitting at Beckham or something? )
you see, the damn PRIDE .... everybody thinks they are better than everybody else around them ... Romanians hate Slavics and think they are horrible, well, Bulgarians (and Im assumin Serbs as well) think Romania is worse and Gypsy land (no offence, I am just telling general views here) ... its like the joke we have about the 'scrawny guy' laughing at the 'guy without teeth' (hope you get the idea)
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!