View Single Post
Old 25-01-2006, 07:41   #47
blah

sorry, powerpuff, but i think it's far from being a dialect. it's pure jargon. it uses english words spelled and pronounced differently and defies the rules of grammar in an obnoxious way. it's what most black people in america do in order to differentiate themselves from white people. and this ebonics thing was 'developed' by people with little or no education at all. you just need to hear it or see it spelled to know that. i do agree with cirrus. it can be tolerated (for fun, kicks, laughs), but just as long as people know how to speak proper english as well. or let's say international english. the accent doesn't bother me. i dont consider you butcher english if you have this or that accent. this depends on the sounds you've been taught and used to, and even on physical features (the shape of your oral cavity). but really, i don't think we should grant extra rights to uneducated people, such as this ebonics being taught in school (the idea just makes my skin crawl). and that and only that would make it a dialect. it being recognized officially as that by linguists. and it won't be, trust me. it lacks logical grammatical structure, among other things. plus, again, i don't think uneducated people should have the right to raise their jargon at the level of dialect or, God forbid, language. there's enough stupidity in the world as it is.

Last edited by KillaQueen; 25-01-2006 at 07:55.