View Single Post
Old 08-11-2003, 13:32   #5
заичонок

Quote:
Originally posted by Mossopp
Thanks for posting that article. I was very happy when Alex won Fame Academy - not cos I think she's the best singer in the world, but because I do think it's time that there were more young gay women in the public eye.
I would however like to point out that Rhona Cameron should not have been namechecked as a positive lesbian icon. Yes, she is an incredibly talented comedian and her sitcom was criminally overlooked. But Rhona Cameron herself is the very embodyment of all the negative sterotypical traits that people think all lesbians possess. Add to that the fact that she did a really under-hand thing by outing her ex-girlfriend Sue Perkins against her will! I really don't see how Rhona Cameron fits into the "cool new lesbian stars" category.
Ah yes, I heard about that outing thing, and wasn't v.impressed.

Why not send an e-mail to the Guardian, saying what you've said here? They sometimes do readers' response pieces, and yours is a v.valid response - at the v.least you might get your letter published (even if it's under "name and address supplied", if you want to tick the box for no publicity). Anyway, just a thought - feel free to ignore it
~~~~~~~~~~~
You've cried enough this lifetime, my beloved polar bear