View Single Post
Old 27-04-2006, 21:25   #20
The Dream is Over, :~(

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBee
Most people actually did (think so). It was dumb, and like freddie said, did not have a chance to lead to discussion. I don't see how we can compare these two threads, at all.
I thought there was room for discussion. Lux was very prepared to indicate that it was meant as a joke and I myself was about to post about how Forre and/or nath were dead wrong about insisting that it was a very feminist approach to sexuality.

Some racist things were uttered in the past but were never really dealt with because there were not enough Black people to speak up, though admittedly the site was really young and there were about two moderators. Still however, this behaviour has continued with some anti-Semitic posts uttered here and there and considering that ypsidan04 is the only overt Jew and only posts once in a while, anti-Semiticism was tolerated. Same with anti-Islamic statements and since rosh and xmad are the only Muslims here, with xmad not really giving a shit, that only makes one person and rosh's presence is ever disappearing. And now with Christianity and madeldoe.

Now contrast that with homophobic and anti-male remarks stated and you'll see that there is a direct correlation between how posts perceived as hateful are dealt with and the demographic of posters. Not to say that any of you guys are anti-whatever, just that you'll speak up if something affects you particularly and most of you have the benefit of being backed-up by other people equally offended.

Not that I'm saying it should be locked, but that we shouldn't be deciding what thread needs to be closed based on how many people are offended, or at least turned off, by it. If half of us, or even a quarter of us were as Christian as madeldoe would this thread would be closed too?
I tend to think so.