View Single Post
Old 30-05-2007, 07:47   #795
winter days ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreIsCool32 View Post
I have insane parents who want me to check into buying my own hosting server. Though I have no idea what the price ranges, or even how to go about it (I'm not that advanced! I'm only a kid!). Does anyone know where to look at one w/ information on how it works?

Thank you. Will give rep.

sorry im seeing this really late. i work in the ISP industry so here are my suggestions : most hosting providers will let you purchase a server through them. there are basically 3 kinds of hosting. dedicated [which is where you pay the ISP or the hosting provider to setup a server for you and to do regular maintenance on it] or co-located [where you own the server and you are responsible for its maintenance but the provider will host it for you and provide bandwidth. the 3rd kind is where you just buy hosting space on a shared server from a hosting provider. they will allocate you x amount of space on the server and you get to do pretty much what you want with it within the constraints of their AUP of course [acceptable usage policy]

there are tons of providers around who are pretty well priced and give decent service. i would actually go for shared hosting. its much cheaper and the only thing you will really have to be responsible for is the actual maintenance of your site. shared hosting should also include regular backups. but you can always fine tune your requirements with whoever you choose to be your provider.

if youd like suggestions on who to go with id be happy to make a few recommendations. but honestly, purchasing your own server for the purposes of hosting tends to be very expensive. so unless price is not a consideration, go for shared or dedicated -- letting the provider have the responsibility of proper maintenance of the server [they wont maintain the website though, just the OS/regular patching/hardware/etc]

hope this helps