View Single Post
Old 30-01-2006, 19:12   #50
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
We have a very strict law here prohibiting ANYONE from buying alcohol after 9pm (you can still get it in bars and clubs, of course). Plus you have to be 18 to purchase alcohol legally in the first place. I always need my ID handy, cause they often don't believe me I'm 18+.

Funny story that happened to me in Maine, USA: I tried to buy 2 cans of beer in a supermarket. The guy at the cash register looked at me carefully and said: "Could I see some ID please?", "Sure!" I replied offering him my Slovene ID (my DoB was written on it of course... in two langauges nonetheless slovene/english). He looked at it... passed it on to the manager of the store. They looked at it together, carefully examining it for a minute or so. After that they announced their verdict: "Sorry, sir. We're gonna need to see your STATE ID." I was like: "Wha'? I'm not American... I don't HAVE a state ID." They shruged. I proceeded to futily show them my a) Passport, b) Law Student Card, c) International Student Card (all containing my pic, name and DOB). No, no and no. Nothing helped. They were still willing to part with those 2 cans of beer only if I showed them my State ID. State regulations forced them, they defended themselves.
There was a guy with me in the store (much older and American). I gave him my $20, 2 cans and said: "Fine! So he'll buy them for me!" Or so I thought. "Nope! Can't do that!" manchilds informed me..."if he buys them now it'd be OBVIOUS he's buying them for you." So I had no choice but to take those cans back to the freezer and walk out thirsty, yet still amused as hell. Actually come to think of it I just left them on the counter and walked out. I'm guessing someone with a State ID carried them back to the freezer.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.