View Single Post
Old 20-03-2010, 14:28   #260
Son. Husband. Witch!

Forgot to add this on here but the digital download of "Dark City" Includes a Bonus Track, all the Artwork AND the first guitar album "Book of Shadows" for £5 http://lnk.ms/6rCH1

Book of Shadows (2006) Review
Review by Jonny-Boy via Facebook

Book of Shadows is quite possibly one of the most well-rounded indie-pop albums you will ever hear in your life. Much of it seems heavily influenced by The Cranberries, as their general musical song structure is all over the place, but there are songs that bring it to its own and make you realize, this is not an album of Cranberries covers, it's a well-put together story.

Who the Hell starts with an intense build up to brace you for a haunting melody with a faint vocal. A typical, but very interesting start for an album of this genre. The lyrics are quite mysterious and don't play up to be anything more.

I Am Me is more direct and the music is genuinely softer, as it should be with its lyrics. This is one of those soft pop-rock masterpieces that deliver everything it promises and leaves you wanting more still.

The Beginning is the first song we get to that has Cranberries fan written all over it, but that doesn't take away from the song. The influence is there, but it doesn't take over the song and in fact seems to shoot it into a lovely song. Dolores would be proud. And so should everyone else.

Happiness Is Merely Supernatural is my favourite song on the album and is quite possibly the best song on the album as well as one of the greatest songs of all time. The verses are well put together, but the chorus takes off into something genuine and heartfelt. There's something sad and emotional about it that quite a few people should be able to relate to. Not only that but the chorus' hook is very catchy. The refrain is haunting and takes some spite against whom the song is talking about. If there's one song you're going to listen to from the album, one song that should be a single and played all over the radio for the masses to love, it's this song.

Resurrection is a simple song and doesn't proclaim to be anything more, but that doesn't stop it from being the start of something very artsy. It's the kind of song indie critics cream their pants over and promises to be a fan favourite. The solo is simply terrific and shows off some wonderful playing by the artist, proving there’s more than a just sweet vocal.

Little Tears of Passion is The Cranberries' Empty. But it's not. It is. It isn't. Except the harmonica solo at the end which seems like tribute to Alanis. Anyway, the song is too beautiful to be so short. I feel it should've been expanded, but it's a great little breath of fresh air and showcases that there is more than one musical influence on the album.

Hand of Glory (I Don't Need Your Hate) is a song with content that would generally be said rudely, passionately and would not hesitate to be mean back to who it's talking to. But it's not and that's what keeps it 100% original. It says everything in an "I don't need this, I just want to keep things peaceful" tone. It's definitely worth the listen if you're ever mad at someone.

The Sceptics' Skin is another positively haunting song with faint vocals. Almost like a sequel to the first song on the album, so that we don't forget that this album isn't all "happy, have fun & peace".

Don't Take Away the Fire. If there's a Cranberries outtake on this album, this is it. And all these Cranberries references, do not mistake them for ripping off or cramping the artists style because influence is something to be proud of and showcase as loudly as possible.

Take Breath is probably my second favourite song on the album. This song just screams praise to someone is very cute in itself. It sounds like another single and that in itself should have fans demanding more.

Girl Called Silence. I'm not big on poems on albums, but this is good. Not my favourite, but it's really a unique step for the album.

And the Epilogue is the first dose of instrumental tracks that follow on other projects. It's quite epic, but makes you realize the album is over and you've heard it all.

Also: MY version of the album came with a bonus track (not sure if everyone else got it). It's an edit of the song The Beginning. Seems like an attempt at a radio edit for a song that originally over 5 minutes long. There's really no other difference than that, but it plays off like a good bonus track. It also seems like it's there to remind you the album is good and you should go listen to it again (which I will)."