View Single Post
Old 26-09-2003, 22:49   #11
ROCK FOR LIGHT

I don't think you have to like all genres to "truely like music." I mean if a certain sound rubs someone the wrong way, then that's as far as it goes. It doesn't mean they do not like music at all. And all a "genre" really is is just breaking down music into categories that share a similar sound or style. So if someone just isn't into the overall sound of a certain genre of music, it doesn't mean they "don't really like music" or anything. I agree that lyrics shouldn't completely make a song. I mean by definition I think there has to be some criteria based on sound for there to be music. However, I do think lyrics can play an important role... maybe even enough to break a song. If all of t.A.T.u.'s lyrics were about white power, I definitely would not care for them. While I might think the tunes are catchy, hearing those lyrics along with it would just turn me off too much to like them. I guess this is different from the girl in your class who dislikes all music in other languages, because she's not actually getting any kind of message from the lyrics if she can't understand them... so in this case she would really only have the sound of it to judge. So yeah, maybe you're right about her... but I don't think that disliking a certain genre or liking/disliking a song because of the lyrics necessarily means that someone "doesn't really like music."
~~~~~~~~~~~
as sick as i am, i would never be you