View Single Post
Old 16-05-2003, 13:00   #29
t.A.T.u. Music Lover :)

Send a message via AIM to raven ryuu
Re: Makes no difference

Quote:
Originally posted by LenochkaO
In a lot of cases (but definitely not all) Japanese people go to English conversation classes (having done 6 years of English at school) without their pronunciation improving one iota. Those who have a good accent have generally spent time living in an English-speaking country.

However, I think it's a bit unfair to criticise these girls, particularly given that the single's aimed exclusively at the Japanese market. How many of us achieve amazing pronunciation in our second languages through just learning them at school for a couple of hours a week, mostly taught by a non-native speaker? I certainly don't know that many native English speakers with fantastic Japanese pronunciation, and there are no sounds in Japanese that don't occur in English.

Anyway, that's just my feeling on the matter.
I agree with ya I am 1/4 japanese, and while I took a year of Japanese courses at Uni, I was very fortunate to have my grandma (full japanese) to help with the pronounciation. But even with her help, I understood that I could NEVER sound like a NATIVE speaker. I came pretty close though And the same goes with my grandma -- even though she's lived 45+ years in a US/english-speaking place, she still does not sound like the rest of us in the family. She still has her japanese accent

So, I don't mind how these girls are singing the song...it sounds fine to me. Also -- I really like their version of it. Of course, they're no Yulia and Lena -- but, the sound/beat is very representative of the J-POP sound -- which I like very much
~~~~~~~~~~~
...:: found ::...

still alive and loving the new album ^_^