View Single Post
Old 16-05-2003, 12:21   #28
Участник

Re: Makes no difference

Quote:
Originally posted by LenochkaO
In a lot of cases (but definitely not all) Japanese people go to English conversation classes (having done 6 years of English at school) without their pronunciation improving one iota. Those who have a good accent have generally spent time living in an English-speaking country.

However, I think it's a bit unfair to criticise these girls, particularly given that the single's aimed exclusively at the Japanese market. How many of us achieve amazing pronunciation in our second languages through just learning them at school for a couple of hours a week, mostly taught by a non-native speaker? I certainly don't know that many native English speakers with fantastic Japanese pronunciation, and there are no sounds in Japanese that don't occur in English.

Anyway, that's just my feeling on the matter.

mm..
I think if they wanna sing in English, they should have their English pronoucication correct and at least good (not very good). If they cannot do so, they should not sing in English. That's nothing to do with whether native or non-native speakers teaching English.

Julia also doesn't know English, but she can pronounce well. It's professional.

Of course, everybody has their own opinion.