View Single Post
Old 26-09-2003, 22:58   #13
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Quote:
Originally posted by haku
I used to listen to songs in English many years before i actually understood that language. I've always considered voices to be instruments, a part of the music itself. If the singers are good, you don't need to understand the words to get the emotions they're expressing. Too many people only listen to songs in their own languages, they hear and understand the words, but do they really get the emotions?
That's so true. I remeber listening to Girl From Ipanema in brazilian by Antфnio Carlos Jobim for ages and I don't speak a word of it, yet I somehow understood the melancholy emotions in that song. When I heard the Frank Sinatra version it was almost exactly like I pictured it.
The same with Edith Piaf's "Non Je Ne Regrette Rien". Powerful emotions hide in the raw passion of the spoken word.

But otherwise...yeah I'd agree that we put AWAY to much emphasys on the lyrics while the music is suffocating in eternal loops and special effects (rap, R&B). The whole rap thing has become to big right now, to the point that it really hurts the creativity of music and what it represents.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.