View Single Post
Old 15-05-2011, 20:42   #85
My Waking Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argos View Post
Chease pop and live instruments - sit down and reconsider!
Completely optional of course, it makes no difference to have a live drum machine
But if you remember, there was a time where they were doing it...it's not always cheesy pop, we had jazz this year, we have had folk winning in the past, I was talking about those cases where the instrument plays a leading part, of course.

Quote:
Well, I made some statistics and there are a few interesting results.
- In a west-only voting Ireland would have won.
- The ranking of the western as well as that of the eastern side of Europe each had 7 of their own among their top 10.
- The UK entry though was more favoured in central and eastern Europe.
- There's a clear sign of political voting in the west. Except for Azerbaijan (swedish song) and Moldova (more considered Romanian than Russian) the ex- Soviet countries had the last places in western votes, without counting Switzerland, which got into the mud too.
- the ex-Soviet countries 'boycotted' the Balkans. Never before seen so few points from them.

Another observation concerns the foreign workers votings. Turkey got into a semifinal group where they could not get points from the rich countries, where many Turkish workers live. Consequently they had no chance to reach the final with their not so ESC-fit candidate. Bosnia on the other hand could draw on opulent ressources. 57% of their semi-final points (and 48% of the final) came from their guest countries.
-Yeah, Ireland for me would have easily been in the top 3 if it came from Eastern Europe. People would go: wow, how cool, if it came say, from Russia. It was also a Swedish song
-I think the jury voting had a lot to do with that when it comes to that parity. As you said, they favor traditional pop and who does that the most? the West. Normally the West does not collude so blatantly, perhaps even because their musical tastes differ from country to country...see? it's not just political voting. Ireland only gave the UK 6 points and it's been like that almost every year, it's not a given at all that Ireland will vote for the UK or the UK for Ireland. Then we had Zdob si Zdub, another example: the BBC commentators hated it with a passion, that Mills guy was like "you gotta be kidding me x3" when it made the final, Norton was saying "Europe, really?
Then lots of people in the UK simply loved them. You see, musical tastes in such a big, cosmopolitan region like the UK can vary tremendously. What did Norton like instead? Denmark
- Well, the situation with Balkan and ex-Soviets is volatile, I think. See what happened to Turkey? There's no guarantee that the ex-Soviets will vote for the Balkans or the Balkans for the ex-Soviets.
Actually the Balkan countries seem to suffer a lot due to the new rules, for instance Bulgaria couldn't get much love from anybody. There are many neighbours in the region. Greece on the other hand - which has good ties and diaspora in pretty much everywhere and can do both East and West at the same time - faired pretty well.
- So Bosnia got most of its votes from neutral countries? Strange, considering that the German audience were hating them, booing them every time they got points. I can't imagine the West getting behind such a song, they have their own aging folk singers