View Single Post
Old 23-02-2004, 00:46   #106
Участник

Thanks for your reports, sunny poison!

I'd not been following the discussion here as it happened, so I'd like to make a few observations now.

Yulia is rude and arrogant - but I don't think that her not going to Singapore is a particularly good example of that. Generally, being polite costs very little. In this case, being polite and going to collect an award would cost 40 hours of torture. If I had been in their situation, I would have been very reluctant to go. Lena's decision to go reminds me of what I was like when I was her age and a bit older - someone who felt a strong sense of duty to do what was right, regardless of personal inconvenience. Sometimes you do have to do what's right regardless, but sometimes it's not worth it. I'm not sure the fleeting pleasure for your fans is worth putting yourself through such an ordeal.

I think a much better example of Yulia's personality flaw is the story from The Face article about Eurovision when they went into the centre of Riga in the afternoon before the contest and someone Ivan had brought along stepped on Yulia's foot. She stormed off and when Ivan followed her back to the hotel she screamed at him for five minutes. Meanwhile, Lena stayed out signing autographs. I think that's a much better example of Yulia behaving badly (and unprofessionally) and Lena behaving well (and professionally). There are many examples of Yulia ignoring her responsibilities, while Lena is dutiful. For once, I think Yulia may be the one who got the balance right.

As someone pointed out, when they were rude to journalists, fans didn't mind. But if fans think Yulia is being rude to them, they get really angry. Well, that's how the journalists felt. That's why they got such a bad press. Journalists are only human, just like fans.

EDIT:

sunny poison posted her report as I was writing my post. Thanks again!

A very interesting episode, IMO. A fascinating insight into Yulia's relationships with Ivan, her dad, some fans and Sergei. It's interesting to get Yulia's take on the creative process in Tatu. And to hear he dad's opinions about Ivan (the whole Yulia/Ivan/Mr Volkov thing sounds very oedipal). And what did Yulia say to Sergei about her feelings?! Is this confirmation of the rumours about that? It's like one of those 'behind the scenes' fanfics - except without the obligatory lesbian scenes.

Last edited by simon; 23-02-2004 at 01:04.