Thread: Eras of music
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 05:21   #7
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
I grew up in the 80s. A decade when the hair-dressers went nuts, people wore tight jeans and played PacMan at the arcades...

As far as music memories 3 things come to mind: There was nothing more huge than MJ... 80s were stiffled with MJ. Whatever he did turned to gold by default. He was a legend. An absolute myth. People who grew up in those times still have respect for him, despite the shambolic state of his later career. I remember watching Dirty Diana video on TV back in 1987 wondering whether it's possible for a person to get any bigger than this? As of 2006... it's not.

Second thing I remember was Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called To Say I Love You" from 1984 - I learned it by heart, purely by intonation, since I didn't speak a word of english. It's still the sign of the times for me. Nostalgia overload.

3rd thing I remember was my friend dying from cancer back in 1989 and me going to visit him in the hospital. Whitney Houston's "One Moment In Time" was playing on the radio. Everytime I hear that song it reminds me of him.

It seems like I was much more prone to outside influence back then, cause I seriously don't remember any such musical excerpts from the 90s or 00s... sure there were memorable moments, but nothing stayed engraved in my mind quite like the 80s did. I still smile goofishly every time I hear a cheesy 80s synth-pop tune on the radio. It's not that the music was all that grand... it's just the fact that it represents a moment caught in time which makes me remember the past. Like that epic work by Marcel Proust - Rememberance Of Things Past... Marcel drinks tea with a petite madeleine (kind of a Cake) that eventually reminds him of a similar combination of cake and tea he used to enjoy at Combray during his childhood - that specific cake's taste alone makes him remember his whole childhood he spent in Combray in extraordinary detail and clarity. I guess the 80s are my petite madelaine.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Last edited by freddie; 06-01-2006 at 06:23.