Echoes among the Stars

Quote:
Originally posted by forre
It looks like that:
Hwжt! We Gardena in geardagum,
юeodcyninga, юrym gefrunon,
hu рa жюelingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaюena юreatum,

P.S. It's ancient English, known as anglo-saxon's language. Modern English was influenced by Latin and French later. Declinations exited in their mid-form. 15 European languages derived from this one later. (English, German, Dutch, Danish ... etc.)
freddie, what do you mean? It's plain as day that it's:

LO, praise of the prowess of people-kings
of spear-armed Danes, in days long sped,
we have heard, and what honor the athelings won!
Oft Scyld the Scefing from squadroned foes,

or, a little more modern,

Hear me! We've heard of Danish heroes, ancient kings and the glory they cut for themselves, swinging mighty swords! How Shild made slaves of soldiers from every land

I'm just kidding; I don't understand much either. And I didn't have much trouble with Chaucer. This is older. forre I am not sure what you mean - this isn't just ancient English, but ancient German, Danish, etc.? I thought they spoke Frisian and Goth (?) in Germany in the early middle ages. But no wonder it looks different This is probably close to modern Icelandic, yes?

English still has some pronominal declensions: "I" turns to "me" in accusative, "he" turns to "him," residual stuff like that. But not much.

On topic, I already spoke Russian (sort of) before I listened to tatu; ut it's not that hard if you work at it and learn to love the grammar

Last edited by russkayatatu; 20-06-2003 at 17:15.