View Single Post
Old 15-05-2011, 22:36   #89
Martian Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyretto View Post
They want more votes, they should tailor their songs to appeal to a larger demographic. ... Common, what are the UK bitching about, they were sending rubbish after rubbish, year after year ...A legitimate artist in the UK would simply not do it.
That's the point. They are blaming others for their own failure. With bad choice after bad choice the people in the western countries got so disinterested that they didn't vote and their minorities took charge and decided the points, which made the results of the west even worse. The east sends regularly their best horse to the ESC. If this attitude doesn't change the east will always be the winner on avereage, no rule can change it.
Quote:
I have to admit I don't quite get the modus: Is that to do with the way each country has voted in the past and are we to punish them on the basis of that? You mean a situation like the Greek/Cyprus one - which is going on from time immemorial - creating some kind of a handicap that would effect their qualification chances?
Oh yes, you got it right. A 'friends-list' for every country according to former votes, and those friends simply don't count. But as I said, too complicated.
Quote:
yeah, of course but still they could allow SOME room for last minute alterations, could they not?
Pfff, they could simply spare us the judgment of the stinkers. I don't need them.
Quote:
...as I said it would be completely optional and if a virtuoso like Rybak decides to use his live violin he should be forbidden. The karaoke singers can remain karaoke singers of course. Total freedom to be whatever you wanna be.
I think almost no country wants that. Choosing a competitive candidate would be even more pain than it is already. It distorts the competition if there is free choice. People will of course prefer the live performance, and those singers, who don't have a professional live band (especially young singing talents), will be handicapped. It's a singing contest after all, at least 'historically'.
Quote:
A little bit of everything, really. It's a musical extravaganza, and it could be up to the participants to decide...within reason of course, you shouldn't be able to bring an elephant on stage.
As for my part I love a wide variety of music styles, different ways to perform on stage (like Bilan's violinist and skater, or Mika's sand artist), and various moods of the songs from calm to ekstatic, and everything that gives (back) this kaleidoscope of European music culture.