Thread: Coffee
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 04:19   #34
Can You See Them Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasfcuk View Post
oh, our barista works @ Barnes & Noble ... which basically means, Starbucks, since thats what they serve, no? ... so the above image is very appropriate... and yes, i do know about the 'special' starbucks cup ... you have to specifically ASK for it... and ask for it more than once usually.... it's not even on the menu and the people that work there do NOT understand WHY on earth would you want such a small drink... with 'SO LITTLE' milk in it.....
We do serve Starbucks coffee yes, but some preparation is different. And I do agree with you, most baristas at a Starbucks or a Caribou or another chain coffee shop really do have no idea why someone would want such a small serving of coffee - not realizing that it is the appropriate way to enjoy the said beverage.

Quote:
and lastly ... for the barista 'master': GOOD espresso AND cappuccino for that matter depends on firstly GOOD BEANS - MOST usa cafes simply do NOT use good espresso beans (im afraid you will only learn that if you go to europe for example);
I don't disagree here.

Quote:
second on the ability of the barista to pull shots - and i am sorry to say, but in the usa, there are MORE than PLENTY that do not know what that means.... usually the high school kid who's making coffee looks like a cow in a porcelain shop when you ask him/her to pull a long or short shot
At work, I can't control anything since the shots are automated and I can't tamp anything. At home however, my espresso machine isn't automatic and I can pull two shots in 40 seconds at home. I really do take my job seriously, even if it is an overly commercialized cafe, the concept behind the art is fun, and customers really do appreciate when you work to add a classic cafe touch to their overly commercial drink.

Quote:
thirdly, it depends on what water you are using for example... also, for cappuccino it depends on what milk you are using... well, most cafes here use the NASTY, hormone filled, white liquid called by some milk LOL
You should visit Great Plains Coffee. They're moving locations from a shop in the mall to a larger place they've built right down the street from Barnes and Noble. I'm hoping I can get a job there.

Quote:
oh yeah, the tiny lil cups you're talking about... well, those you get when you order espresso... maybe sometimes macchiato, those arent for cappuccinos.... and frankly 1 part espresso 10 parts milk does NOT = cappuccino... not even latte http://flickr.com/photos/akaitori/2052376918/ .. i mean... if that person is drinking cappuccino, cause it's possible, what's the ratio of espresso to milk do you think?!?!?
Whatever that girl is drinking isn't anything that it should be, I agree. 2 shots go in both a Grande and a Venti - no drink with a different capacity should ever have the same amount of shots in it. I agree with you.