View Single Post
Old 27-03-2007, 17:49   #42
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
I don't think Yugoslavia split was exactly pointless. There are absolutely huge nationalistic tendecies behind every nation that formed the artificial unity. It's not about borders really. It's about a sense people get that they're living in their own country and that has nothing to do with EU opening up it's borders to all it's current and future members. I'm sure today in Schengen times Austria and Germany wouldn't be all that fond of being merged into one de iure state, eventhough it wouldn't really make all that much difference in practical terms.

As far as Kosovo goes... very difficult situation. It's a matter of ethnic majority and what THEY want for themselves. Like it or not, though - Albanians ARE an ethnic majority. And it's not like Kosovo's been a part of Serbia since the prehistroric ages. They've conquered it and it had a vague international status ever since. I don't think Kosovar Albanians want AlbaniaII either. I think they want Kosovo. A soverign intependent country, with no special ties to any of it's neigbours. Saying they want a big Albania is like renaming the Wallonic Part of Belgium to Eastern France and Quebec to Western France.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.