View Single Post
Old 21-06-2006, 02:27   #157
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie
Because it has 80 million people?
And 120 million in a couple of decades (and up to 150 million), one third more than Germany, twice more than France or the UK, one sixth of the total EU population… That will give Turkey an overwhelming weight in EU decisions, Turkey will be in control of the EU and that's an insane risk to take.

Quote:
And what about Russia? What if they decide one day to stop playing a super-power and want in? Russia certainly shares common herritage and history with all current EU members. If Russia gets in it'd mean EU would expand almost towards Japan, covering a large chunk of Asia. And what about Ukraine? Belarus? Moldova? All those share our common European herritage, but it's still mean expanding the lmits of the Union further than some would like them to be.
I don't see Russia becoming an EU member ever, and for many reasons.

- I doubt current EU members would agree on Russia's membership. That would totally unbalance the Union, Russia is just too big and massive, the EU can't admit a country that is several times bigger than the entire current EU.
- The cost! The entire EU budget would not be enough to finance the billions of Euros Russia would be entitled to as part of the structural funds, Russia's membership would bankrupt the EU.
- The Western public opinion. People have reached their maximum level of acceptance, The Western public opinion wouldn't accept an enlargement going as far as Japan, and people are in no mood to pay more taxes to finance a huge country like Russia.
- Russia has other plans, Russia wants to be at the center of something, not just a part among other parts. Russia has already created a 'state-union' with Belarus and Russia is thinking of creating a Eurasian Union grouping many Central Asian countries.
And i say good for them, there is room for a Eurasian organization, and it makes much more sense than expanding the EU across Asia.

As for Ukraine, well, whatever they might say, Ukraine remains closely linked to Russia (it's a CIS member), and i don't trust Ukraine as an EU member. It's better if Ukraine stays with Russia in whatever Eurasian organization Russia will create.

Quote:
And from what I understand a part of Turkey IS in Europe
Yes, unfortunately we were unable to regain Constantinople at the fall of the Ottoman Empire, a critical historical mistake which we are paying now.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]