View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 13:11   #36
My Waking Hour

The truth of the matter is, too much downloading can hurt the creators themselves. ( as I've stated before big labels are irrelevant cause they make a lot more money than they should, anyway. )
But when it comes to making it difficult for the artists to even survive in their profession, we should be more sensitive and try to support them by buying some legitimate works as well, that will enable them to continue and which is also in our best interest. For example, I've already ordered 2 anime DVD's to support the studio after downloading about half a dozen of their work. I think the ratio of 1:3 is quite fair, though 1:5 or 1:6 is not bad either.
They're making a big big fuss out of the whole thing: before the internet we still used to share, only the scale of the whole thing was of course smaller; there're libraries where you could lend and copy the items in question, and radio DJ's used to play full albums without being prosecuted etc. The artists have to make their work known. The internet is a perfect medium which has helped a lot in that department.
I think the problem arises when new material is being copied even before released and then it automatically renders its revenues problematic.

As for the answer whether I feel safe when downloading, well I feel confidently safe, cause a) the stuff I download are rarelly mainstream b) for a legal letter to arrive in my mailbox, the internet providers would have to conspire with the record and film companies in giving away personal data - and I don't think democracy has reached that state of fascism just yet.