View Single Post
Old 23-02-2004, 15:19   #176
we shout

Quote:
Originally posted by piojita
to notify me when one program uses another program to access .
ohh dang! never thought of it that way!

I've also install the iHateSpam program, and it work with my Outlook Express. When I get a spam, it will mark the spam email, and move it to deleted item folder and send reply to the sender that he/she sending me a spam email.

When my Outlook Express want to reply this spam email, the Zone Alarm will prompt me again of another program asking to access the internet. Those are another iHateSpam program with task to send mail back to the sender.

**But I'm not sure if this related to your doubt.

Another example is I open 'filename.doc' using Internet Explorer. And it just open the file, even inside Internet explorer, its use Microsoft Word. But in this case.. its not Microsoft Word that going out to the internet .. just open the file in it already downloaded.

** okay so now I'm trying to open using Adobe Acrobat ..
Same its not asking .. probably same reason with above situation. hmm..

mmm... good news.. I just tried with .asx file to play stream video. Internet Explorer will open Windows Media Player for this .. and the Zone Alarm asked me if I want to allowed wmplayer.exe to access too 127.0.0.1:2050

Ohh .. and the destination is local .. but still it prompt for permission ..

So I click on More Info:

127.0.0.1 is a loopback address, not a valid Internet IP address

A loopback address is a special IP address that a computer uses to refer to itself. Many Windows programs send information to the loopback address before sending information out to the network or to the Internet. Some programs may use the loopback address even when they are not about to send information to the network or the Internet, due to some peculiarities in the way Windows handles TCP/IP.

Any address that begins with "127" is a loopback address. The most commonly used loopback address is 127.0.0.1.

This address cannot be used as the IP address of a computer on the Internet. It only has meaning on the computer that generated it. Therefore, if this is an inbound alert, the source address was probably forged in order to hide the identity of the sender.

Now I'm gonna click 'Yes' ..okay the video is play .. but the destination is loopback.

What else?

I tried windowsupdate website . but I have nothing to update and Zone Alarm didn't asked me anything to allow or not. Maybe later ....

------

Then I use ICQ to view my contact "User's Unified Mesaging Center" which will open Internet Explorer. No it didnt asked if I want to allow or block IE to access internet .. because the rules already allowed IE to access internet.

I change the rule to set IE to "ask"

I did ICQ thing again .. and Zone Alarm did asked me if I want to allowed IE to access internet.

-----

There is another setting in Zone Alarm Program Control -- Main - highlight the IE .. at the bottom right .. click on "Option" .. there you can check "This program may use other programs to access internet" .. mine is set to UNCHECK.

In Zone Alarm Program Control -- Components - you can see details of components (DLL files) - same way .. you can set them to 'allow" or ask.

-----

...If its trojan .. then its anti-virus's task I think.

BUT .. let say its a trojan .. an act as a server in computer .. definetely Zone Alarm will alert because its a new program want to access internet an act as a server to accept connection from internet.

Or trojan that act as client trying to access to its server on internet.... if it using IE .. I think it can go through.

I use telnet to access a website. Zone Alarm prompted me of telnet.exe wants to access internet --

*waits for Rosh* ..

Added:
Piojita ... you can also try Zone Alarm Forum.

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs
~~~~~~~~~~~
I will forget my dreams
Nothing is what it seems
I will effect you
I will protect you
From all the crazy schemes

You traded in your wings
For everything freedom brings

You never left me
You never let me
See what this feeling means

Last edited by denial; 24-02-2004 at 04:11.