View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 23:32   #9
The Dream is Over, :~(

I didn't think this past year offered a lot of good movies, really. I found most of the films to be extremely underwhelmingly Oscar baitish.

But I sure am glad that the Academy chose such a diverse group of nominees. It is almost like the voters watched these movies rather than listen to what the studios were pushing them towards; i.e. Cold Mountain.

Most importantly though, no Kidman, no Crowe, no Cruise!!!
And especially no Scarlett Johanesson; 'cause honestly her performances were average, and are pretty much the same throughout almost all of her movies.

Here what I would like to see:
Best Movie: Either Return of the King or Master and Commander. The former will most probably win.

Best Actress: Keisha Castle-Hughes for Whale Rider, hands down. From all of the performances, that was the most genuine. Second would be Samantha Morton for In America. I would say Charlize Theron from Monster but I think you would have to see the documentary of Aileen Wuornos to see if she really deserves it. Seeing the movie on its own, you're just left admiring the makeup artists. As for Naomi Watts, it is nice to see her nominated but sadly it is for the wrong movie, she really should have been nominated for Mulholland Drive rather than the incoherent 21 Grams

Best Actor: Ben Kingsely for House of Sand and Fog or Johnny Depp for Pirates of the Carribean. There's no need explaining Kingsely. With Depp, however, he truly made that role his. And besides, it is about time the Oscars recognize comedic performances, they are just as hard, if not even harder, to play than dramatic roles.

Best Supporting Actress (This one is a toughy): Either Patricia Clarkson for Pieces of April, she's long overdue, Renee Zellwegger for Cold Mountain who actually made me not walk out on that movie, or Shoreh Adaghshloo in House of Sand and Fog though it is a long shot.

Best Supporting Actor: Ken Watanbe for The Last Samurai. By far the only redeeming thing from an otherwise crappy movie.

Best Director: Either Peter Jackson for Return of the King or Peter Wier for Master and Commander. Although it would be nice to see a woman win, I don't think Sofia Coppola should win it for Lost in Translation. IMHO, that movie was only good for the mood, if anything. There was no story and the acting wasn't superb. Dialogue was ok, I guess she could win for Best Screenplay, but I want Denys Arcand to win. Just because.