Unofficial forum of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU (http://forum.tatysite.net/index.php)
-   Sports and Entertainment (http://forum.tatysite.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   "The Da Vinci Code". Anyone read the book? (http://forum.tatysite.net/showthread.php?t=7265)

Kate 01-05-2004 07:03

"The Da Vinci Code". Anyone read the book?

Did any of you guys read this fantastic book by Dan Brown - "The Da Vinci Code"?

If not, you owe it to yourself to read it. It is truely mind blowing. I got it right after I saw the documentary which claimed that Jesus Christ was married to Mary Magdalene. The book's plot is as follows:

While in Paris on business, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon receives an urgent late-night phone call: the elderly curator of the Louvre has been murdered inside the museum. Near the body, police have found a baffling cipher. While working to solve the enigmatic riddle, Langdon is stunned to discover it leads to a trail of clues hidden in the works of Da Vinci -- clues visible for all to see -- yet ingeniously disguised by the painter.

Langdon joins forces with a gifted French cryptologist, Sophie Neveu, and learns the late curator was involved in the Priory of Sion -- an actual secret society whose members included Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Victor Hugo, and Da Vinci, among others.

In a breathless race through Paris, London, and beyond, Langdon and Neveu match wits with a faceless powerbroker who seems to anticipate their every move. Unless Langdon and Neveu can decipher the labyrinthine puzzle in time, the Priory's ancient secret -- and an explosive historical truth -- will be lost forever.

The book is an exhaustively researched page-turner about secret religious societies, ancient coverups and savage vengeance. I LOVED it.

What did you think of it?

transcend 01-05-2004 07:09

I haven't read it, Kate, but it sounds good - I trust it's readily available in all good bookshops in the UK?
I like these secret society conspiracy books - has anybody read Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum"?

Kate 01-05-2004 07:24

transcend, it was sold out in many bookshops in New Zealand. I had to order it in the University book shop. Heh. The city library had over 200 reservations on it. So, I figured it'll be easier to buy. If you can't get it, I have the pdf file, it's only 1.4Mb. I can easily send it to anyone who is interested. But it's worth buying, trust me.

nasnedagoniat 01-05-2004 07:54

Kat, I must get this book NOW. It was recommended to me in February by a Princeton University alumni at an interview. I was like, ok, I'll read it, but I didn't really mean that. I didn't really know what it was about, but now that I know I will pick this book up. Thanks alot.

transcend 01-05-2004 12:30

OK, the pair of you have whetted my appetite sufficiently - I'm going to see if I can pick up a copy here in Exeter - NOW!!!!

nath 01-05-2004 14:55

Kate ...i'm interested in reading it too if you have a copy. By advance , thanks ,:rose:

forre 01-05-2004 16:10

Those, who hasn't the paper copy, please get some of it on-line The Da Vinci Code.

Thanks for the hints, Kate. A good choice!

transcend 01-05-2004 22:01

Well, I did indeed purchase the book this afternoon, and the bookseller who sold it to me, also informed me that it was 'ace' so I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the recommendation, Kate. :done:

Kate 01-05-2004 22:05

PM me if you want a first chapter preview before you buy "The Da Vinci Code". :)

I'm glad you guys liked the idea, it's a great book, you won't regret it.

transcend, you ARE fast in buying books, arn't you? :D I hope you'll LOVE the book the way I did.

taty994945 12-05-2004 13:36

I saw a man reading that book on the train.

goku 13-05-2004 23:46

katbeidar, I've read it! It's a great book. :)

Now I'm just about finished with Breaking the Da Vinci Code. You need to read it! :p

rosh 13-05-2004 23:51

i saw some really crap reviews for "breaking the da vinci code" is it really worth reading ?

[edit : the reviews i read are here :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...40062?v=glance ]

Kate 17-05-2004 03:07

"The Da Vinci Code" is going to be on the Big Screen!! Casting rumors begin!!

The CinemaEye has posted an interesting casting rumor concerning the cinema adaption of the best selling "Quest for the Holy Grail" novel The DaVinci Code, by Dan Brown.

Howard is in talks with Russell Crowe who headlined the Oscar-winning A Beautiful Mind. Howard is currently in pre-production on his second film with Crowe, Cinderella Man. Cinderella Man starts shooting in March 2004, so Davinci Code would follow immediately after. Kate Beckinsale is in the lead to play Sofia, the dark-haired female protagonist and love-interest for Crowe.

Ron Howard is directing, Brian Grazer is producing, while Akiva Goldsman is working on the script.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can definitely see Beckinsale in the Sophie role, but Crowe in the lead role of Robert Langdon has me worried. I imagined someone younger, and less macho. Someone akin to what Harrison Ford was in the first two Indiana Jones films, a suave yet goofy professor who finds himself having grand adventures by necessity. (Hugh Jackman, maybe?) I can't see Crowe filling those boots.

If this rumor does prove true then Crowe will bring some major exposure to the film, so in that case it is good news.

transcend 17-05-2004 03:14

I'd cast somebody like Jeff Bridges or Dennis Quaid in the Robert Langdon role; he is supposed to be in his 40s after all. I won't bore you all by telling you who I think should play Sophie Neveu - well OK then, you've persuaded me - the most appropriately named woman in the world - Mlle Jolie.

kishkash 17-05-2004 04:01

the title of the book reminds me of a show that comes on here...called "Da Vinci's Inquest". A hallmark of canadian tv i am sad to report i never watch. :p

karxwp 18-05-2004 02:39

I read the book in two days :P yes I'm a bookworm :P LOVED every damn page of it...it's a great book although the ending is quite weak...but it's a nice story, the crappy reviews are because people are biased because of religion as sci fi it's a fresh, good, modern story, read it, you will enjoy it as much as I did :P I used to have a link to the book, it's the online version but shamely it's the spanish translation, although I'm sure that with a good research you can find it somewhere over the internet.

READ IT!

rosh 18-05-2004 07:06

karxwp , there is already an online link to the english version, post 7 in this thread, posted by forre :)

tatu_rocks 19-05-2004 03:43

right, I'm sure it has to be an excellent book!! :) I bought it about two weeks ago but haven't find the time to read it (shame on me!!) but I know I'll enjoy it as much or maybe even more than "Angels & demons" also by Dan Brown (it's the precuela mmm don't know how to say that word, but it's supossed to hapen before "The Da Vinci code"), when I started I couldn't stop reading :p I recommend it to you all,

andkatbeidar, thanks for the news of it probably becoming a movie, but i'm not really sure if this could be good, sometimes they totally change the plot (I know it's for saving time but they can ruin the idea!!) let's hope they do it good :coctail:

Kate 01-07-2004 22:23

If you want to be kept up to date about "The Da Vinci Code" movie, please visit this page: Click here!

They put up all available information on the progress of the movie's development. Good to know that Hugh Jackman is considered for the role. I'll die if they decide on Russel Crow. :dead:

TaTu^HeRo 01-07-2004 22:26

:: amino still trying to read :: am gonna read the online version.. we should seriously open a book club here :D