Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum Sports and Entertainment

The 'Emo' Thread

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 00:36   #1
a kind of fresh madness

The 'Emo' Thread

You knew it was coming ........... the EMO thread!
Okay. I don't want another heated "your music is shite" debate. But I have noticed that "emo" is becoming a bit of a buzzword on this board and I just wanted to check out people's opinions on it. Do any of you actually know what it is?
I happen to like emo. I know it may seem like I'm taking the piss out of the genre at times but that's not entirely the case. However, a little self-deprication never hurt anyone, did it?

Be seen to be scene - how to dress 'emo'
How 'emo' are you?
The 'emo band name generator'

From what I can gather, 'emo' is a bit of a fad in America right now. It's all over the radio and emo band merch is selling out in Hot Topic stores nationwide.
In Britain emo is still pretty underground. I was very surprised that Taking Back Sunday managed to sell out their entire UK tour. I think My Chemical Romance's addition to the tour was a factor in this - I can't imagine TBS selling out 2,500 capacity venues on their own.

So, do you like emo?
What emo bands do you rate?
How do you differentiate between emo and screamo?
Is metalcore (Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold etc) a natural progression of emo?
Should emo kids just grow the fuck up and stop whining?

Thoughts, people.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
or is it just to humour us before we die?
Old 05-02-2005, 00:57   #2
pie crust

Yey emo thread!

One more link, even though they practically copied the one you posted: http://www.sykospark.net/emo/

I'll talk more here when I'm not as tired as I am (AKA if I wrote alot of stuff they wouldn't make sense)
~~~~~~~~~~~
Monika | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ <3 ] [ 11 ]
Old 05-02-2005, 02:03   #3
the unattainable kish

Send a message via ICQ to kishkash Send a message via MSN to kishkash
ok so emo ISN'T elmo right....right?!?!?!

lol just keeding
~~~~~~~~~~~
Ze origional p.I.m.p
karens quote of the day: 'If i were gay it'd be so much easier'

forkMeRaw | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ urmamawantsme@hotmail.com ]
Old 05-02-2005, 20:41   #4
Lazy

http://www.kidsera.com/links/0123.htm

Sorry i couldn't resist.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Everybodys born to do a certain thing,If you're dead jammy you find it.
If you're good at it keep doing it.If you're fed up go and do something else.
We're really only here to look after the place
Old 08-02-2005, 16:00   #5
Bitchka

Well, I didnt even know what Emo is until recently haha ... but I do know lots of Emos (now that I know what it means). I hang out with them from time to time, esp. since one of my closest firsts here boyfriend is one of the Emoest Emo in town Him, and his band recently released their debut album , and here is where you can read about them/listen to some songs: http://www.myspace.com/the89cubs (the bf is the one on the couch) ..their official site: http://www.the89cubs.com/ nice advertising for them, ah? but really, they are good!
Because of the bf and his connection with Saddle Creek Records (the studio that launches all indie stuff from Omaha, such as Cursive, Bright Eyes, The Faint, etc) I did get a chance to spent a very veeeeeeeeeeeeery Emo New Year of 2004 it was quite interesting ... and I definatelly do enjoy going to the indie shows that pass through town, even though i definatelly dont blend in the majority of the crowd's 'fashions' lol..... So, all in all, i do enjoy that type of music, their company, as they are usually super nice and funny people, and i must admit, the boys' style of dressing is niceeeeeeee and i like their hairs ... the girls, blaaaaaaaaah lol .. let me stare at skinny Emo boys any day, but not the girls
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 08-02-2005, 20:47   #6
Bitchka

p.s. actually, I am not 100% sure exactly what 'Emo' is anymore (labeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels!) ... so i will just say, I like 'indie' music and 'indie' kids .... now mossopp can clarify if the 49 cubs are 'emos' or not...
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 09-02-2005, 00:05   #7
a kind of fresh madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasfcuk
p.s. actually, I am not 100% sure exactly what 'Emo' is anymore (labeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels!) ... so i will just say, I like 'indie' music and 'indie' kids .... now mossopp can clarify if the 49 cubs are 'emos' or not...
I am very eager to hear 49 Cubs. Unfortunately I will have to wait till tomorrow - I'm on 56k dial-up at home and it fucking takes forever to download stuff. I'll listen to them at work tomorrow (I have broadband access from my office). I'll let you know then whether they are emo or not.
'Emo', as a genre, is actually quite difficult to define. So many bands get lumped into that category when, personally, I don't believe they belong there. It's important to distinguish between 'emo' and 'screamo' - and it can be a difficult distinction to make. It's also worth bearing in mind that quite a few emo bands are actually pretty shit.
In my humble opinion Taking Back Sunday are the best emo band on he scene right now. Some TBS songs I fully recommend you download are 'Cute Without The E (Cut From The Team)', 'You're So Last Summer', 'One-Eighty By Summer' and 'A Decade Under The Influence'. If you only buy one emo album in your life it should definately be 'Tell All Your Friends' by TBS.
Brand New are another emo band to take note of. Their first album, 'Your Favourite Weapon' is pure emo and definately worth your attention. Their latest album, 'Deja Entendu', isn't as good but it certainly has it's moments ('Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades' and 'The Quiet Things That Noone Ever Knows' being two of them).
Jimmy Eat World's 'Bleed American' (the title later changed to simply 'Jimmy Eat World' in the wake of 9/11) is another great emo album.
If emo-style lyrics appeal to you but you find the music itself a bit too tame then metalcore is the genre for you. Atreyu are a fucking amazing metalcore band from Orange County. Their lyrics are emo-esque but their sound is heavy, brutal and yet still melodic at the same time. Download 'Right Side Of The Bed' - a tale of heartbreak and deception set to a thundering metal backdrop!

Rock on, emo kids!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
Old 09-02-2005, 18:49   #8
you'll need love

I have no idea exactly what an Emo is. But I took the test to see if I scored high or low:
Here is the result of your EMO Test (How Emo Are You?) Purity Test.
You answered "yes" to 3 of 50 questions, with a total value of 3 points out of 53, making you 94.3% HAPPINESS pure (5.7% HAPPINESS corrupt); that is, you are 94.3% pure in the EMO domain (you have 5.7% EMO in you).
According to the scoring guide, your EMO experience level is: INDIFFERENT

One can start guessing which 3 questions I answered yes to.. but only if one is really bored.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't waste your time on me you're already
the voice inside my head
Old 09-02-2005, 19:07   #9
Bitchka

You answered "yes" to 17 of 50 questions, with a total value of 17 points out of 53, making you 67.9% HAPPINESS pure (32.1% HAPPINESS corrupt); that is, you are 67.9% pure in the EMO domain (you have 32.1% EMO in you).
According to the scoring guide, your EMO experience level is: GLUM
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 41%, based on a comparison of your test results with 41778 other submissions for this test.

The average purity for this test is 48.7%.
The first submission for this test was received February 28, 2000

I still have a little problem with this 'emo' thing ... if I go by those 'rules' provided in the links above, then the 49 Cubs are DEFINATELLY 'emo' based on thier lifestule and the way they dress .... I guess I just prefer to refer to those people (the 49 cubs and all thier buddies at Saddle Creek Records and their fans at the shows) as 'indie kids' and though I am not really dressing up like them myself, I do like the music (or at least for the major part)

Jimmy Eat World ... see, that was a MAINSTREAM popular band that MTV and the RADIOS just loooooooooooved playing ... while the bands and type of music I am talking about is not mainstream like that. p.s. forgot to add, didint really like that Jimmy Eats World.
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 09-02-2005, 19:17   #10
you'll need love

One question.. the Elliott mentioned in the test isn't the same as Elliott Smith is it? Cos if so I had more yes answers.. but I guess it's not
~~~~~~~~~~~
the voice inside my head
Old 09-02-2005, 20:36   #11
a kind of fresh madness

My results:

You answered "yes" to 16 of 50 questions, with a total value of 18 points out of 53, making you 66.0% HAPPINESS pure (34.0% HAPPINESS corrupt); that is, you are 66.0% pure in the EMO domain (you have 34.0% EMO in you).
According to the scoring guide, your EMO experience level is: MELANCHOLY
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 44%

cools, Jimmy Eat World may be considered "mainstream" in America but that's only cos MTV got their grubby hands on them and force-fed them to stupid kids who need to be told what bands to like! J.E.W., while relatively successful in the UK, could never be called "mainstream" here. That will probably change this Summer however - they are lined up to support Green Day at the Milton Keynes Bowl. Taking Back Sunday are also on the bill.
*sigh* It won't be long before I see snotty pubescent Green Day fans in TBS t-shirts.....
Why the hell can't the kids just listen to manufactured pop music like they're supposed to and leave the decent music to people like me? They're ruining it for everyone!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
Old 10-02-2005, 00:13   #12
Gaga ftw!

Send a message via AIM to Khartoun2004 Send a message via MSN to Khartoun2004 Send a message via Skype™ to Khartoun2004
You answered "yes" to 27 of 50 questions, with a total value of 27 points out of 53, making you 49.1% HAPPINESS pure (50.9% HAPPINESS corrupt); that is, you are 49.1% pure in the EMO domain (you have 50.9% EMO in you).
According to the scoring guide, your EMO experience level is: MELANCHOLY

haha I'm 50/50... although I find it strange that I got a higher score than Mossopp and I'm not "EMO"...
~~~~~~~~~~~
Alexander
EPIC!!!!!!
Velvet ropes and guitars
Yeah, cause you're my rock star in between the sets
Eyeliner and cigarettes
Old 10-02-2005, 02:54   #13

Send a message via AIM to ypsidan04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossopp
You knew it was coming ........... the EMO thread!
I saw just the title of this thread and was immediately like "Has to be Mossopp!"

Quote:
Jimmy Eat World may be considered "mainstream" in America but that's only cos MTV got their grubby hands on them and force-fed them to stupid kids who need to be told what bands to like!
They are, trust me.

Yeah, sure, Emo isn't bad at all. Not my favorite, but I do like some of it. I have CDs from Billy Talent and Story Of The Year. And I also don't have a problem with Sugarcult, Epic Hero, The Used, Jimmy Eat World, Lostprophets, Taking Back Sunday, Yellowcard, A.F.I, Name Taken, and even some Straylight Run and Dashboard Confessional is alright. Dashboard Confessional is widely believed to be the inventors of the genre, from what I hear. (Mossopp?)

http://launch.yahoo.com/read/review/14255881

Last edited by ypsidan04; 10-02-2005 at 03:23.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:57   #14
a kind of fresh madness

Nah, Texas Is The Reason are more widely considered to be the inventors of the genre. They easily pre-date Dashboard by about 7 years!

I love Sugarcult too, but I definately wouldn't class them as emo.

I was considering going to see Straylight Run cos they're playing Glasgow soon. I've only heard one track of theirs - 'Existentialism On Prom Night - but I know that 2 of the guys in the band are ex-members of TBS. That's what makes me curious about them.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
Old 10-02-2005, 12:34   #15
Lazy

You answered "yes" to 14 of 50 questions, with a total value of 14 points out of 53, making you 73.6% HAPPINESS pure (26.4% HAPPINESS corrupt); that is, you are 73.6% pure in the EMO domain (you have 26.4% EMO in you).

Well i haven't heard any Emo bands anyway.Except one Jimmy Eat World song.
I might check them out if i ever get my sound card replaced.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Everybodys born to do a certain thing,If you're dead jammy you find it.
If you're good at it keep doing it.If you're fed up go and do something else.
We're really only here to look after the place
Old 10-02-2005, 20:47   #16
winter days ...

You answered "yes" to 11 of 50 questions, with a total value of 11 points out of 53, making you 79.2% HAPPINESS pure (20.8% HAPPINESS corrupt); that is, you are 79.2% pure in the EMO domain (you have 20.8% EMO in you).
Old 16-02-2005, 04:39   #17

Send a message via AIM to ypsidan04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossopp
Nah, Texas Is The Reason are more widely considered to be the inventors of the genre. They easily pre-date Dashboard by about 7 years!
Did you hear? They recently changed their name, and now have the longest band name in existence: Texas is the reason this country is screwed up so bad

Couldn't resist. Anyway, I've never heard of them before.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:44   #18
Gaga ftw!

Send a message via AIM to Khartoun2004 Send a message via MSN to Khartoun2004 Send a message via Skype™ to Khartoun2004
Take the quiz: How Emo are you?.... ">"How emo are you?"

This isn't the same emo test I swear......

Holy Shit Your Emo! Holy shit you actually are emo! Congratulations on not being a poser.

WTF? I'm so not emo.... yet ever test says I am and random people walk up to me on the street and call me emo.... Like Wednesday this kid I haven't seen in like two months was at club hell and "offically declared me 'emo'"....... I don't get it....
~~~~~~~~~~~
Alexander
EPIC!!!!!!
Velvet ropes and guitars
Eyeliner and cigarettes
Old 06-03-2005, 11:27   #19
you'll need love

"Holy Shit Your Emo
Holy shit you actually are emo! Congratulations on not being a poser."

Perhaps it's the only result given.. It's odd that I'm an emo when I still don't know exactly what that means.
~~~~~~~~~~~
the voice inside my head
Old 06-03-2005, 13:13   #20
Gaga ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeny
"Holy Shit Your Emo
Holy shit you actually are emo! Congratulations on not being a poser."

Perhaps it's the only result given.. It's odd that I'm an emo when I still don't know exactly what that means.
No my cousin took it and got something like.... "I don't think you really care about this test..."
~~~~~~~~~~~
Alexander
EPIC!!!!!!
Velvet ropes and guitars
Eyeliner and cigarettes
ReplyPost New Thread