Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum Sports and Entertainment

Tennis thread

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 01:53   #81
Don't dream it, be it!

I think the problem with Henman for me is very simple. He is the personification of the values and lifestyle of upper-middle-class England. His father is a solicitor and a member of the All England Club, he went to a costly boarding-school, his wife is a sloaney horse-riding type who has a fairly high-powered but curiously nondescript job in the media, he votes Conservative and has invested in property. I come from a working-class family, never had the opportunity to play tennis seriously as a kid although I could have if I had accepted my assisted-place at the local posh private school (I didn't because I felt uncomfortable at the open-day there and knew the assisted-place scheme was against official Labour Party policy), haven't got any usefully placed friends or family who can give me a leg-up into my chosen field and will remain a red until I'm dead, as they say. Can you spot the difference? That's why all this patriotism bullshit that surrounds Tim amuses me. In what way, apart from the trivial fact that we happen to live in the same country, does Tim represent me or mine?
Old 01-07-2004, 02:32   #82
My Waking Hour

English mentality is all wrong when it comes to being competitive. They can't take it to another level mentally when it is required - while the others can. I know that may sound a bit harsh but I say it from personal experience.

I'm beginning to get annoyed with England's failings, and Tim's is a sad story. Maybe you'll get it together for the Olympics. Not that I'm a supporter of Henmania, but it was sad to see the guy's game crumble like that, after yet another round of hopes and promises.

Oh well, hopefully Amelie and "Hellas" will cause the upset for us tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2004, 14:17   #83
My Waking Hour

transcend lol...Amelie Mareusmo, the "body-builder" got... finesse?

You're so biased when it comes to supporting the French but I gotta say, since Davenport is running away with the win, Mareusmo's got chance for a big upset. ( according to my "research" )

I bet a whole 2 - yes! TWO - pounds on her. and the rain starts again

amazing!! what a gutsy performance!

Well done to Sharapova...but now will two upsets happen in the same day?

Last edited by spyretto; 01-07-2004 at 16:33.
Old 01-07-2004, 20:21   #84
Don't dream it, be it!

Do you agree that Mauresmo's got finesse now then, Spyretto? Please spare me the sarcasm/ irony tonight because I'm bleeding for Amelie right now. But I take nothing away from Serena - I know a lot of people think she's cocky and brash but I like her persona - it befits a champion, and she was gracious in victory today after a classic semi-final. To me, the seeding committee at Wimbledon got it all wrong this year - ok, Myskina had just won the French, but she's got no record on grass whatsoever...so they seed her no.2 and she goes out in the second round...Mauresmo and Serena were the two strongest women in the draw: it didn't take a genius to work that one out - they should have played that match as a final.

That said, credit to Sharapova for making the final in an open half of the draw and I hope she gives Serena a decent game on Saturday.

Amelie - a nation weeps, and so do I.
Old 01-07-2004, 20:42   #85
My Waking Hour

...if you weren't that biased, I'd tell you that she's got finesse, style, and great technique for a m... woman.

Her loss might have upset the whole structure of the day, because the scenario was that Davenport wins, Mareusmo wins and Czech Republic wins.

Now the wheels may be turning the other way

One of the best tennis matches I've ever seen, and Amelie so unlucky to pick up that injury. With just minor details deciding the victor, things might have been different if it didn't happen.
Old 02-07-2004, 00:34   #86
Don't dream it, be it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyretto
...if you weren't that biased, I'd tell you that she's got finesse, style, and great technique for a m... woman.
Ah, spyretto, you scamp - I've had my parents winding me up with that one all the way through the match - "But she's a bloke....there's no way she's a woman" etc, etc. I tried to remain the voice of reason. Amelie has a physique that most of us would associate with the masculine, yes, but get over it, she's an athlete, she's gay and her hulking physique is rather beguilingly set off by the fact that she is clearly one of life's gentler souls. She has definitely superseded Justine as my favourite female player in the last 8-9 months (starting with the end-of-season championships last year).

And did you know Seles makes her official comeback next week, playing Team Tennis in the States and then hopefully on the WTA Tour at the New Haven tournament? I'd love to think that things could be looking up for the women's game...with the Belgians hopefully recovered, the Williams sisters back in the swing of things, Mauresmo finally realising her potential, Sharapova as the new teen queen and Seles actually coming back fitter and slimmer than she has been in years (and that's what the word on her is) it could be a really exciting US Open, and I do love those night matches at Flushing Meadow.

Last edited by transcend; 02-07-2004 at 07:02.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:41   #87
My Waking Hour

Amelie is great, she can mix it up and I'm sorry she's lost. I always root for the underdog, as you know.
There's so much in the game right now, the Russians, the Belgians, Amelie Mareusmo, Philipoussis' alter ego ( that is Daniilidou, who I hope she reaches her full potential soon, cause she's a great talent ) not too excited about the Williams sisters but Justine Henin is my idol too How about the Croatians? Or are you only for the gay players? Cause Navratilova was back in Wimbledon as you know

The Russians for women and the Argentinians for mens are the business though. The Americans are losing momentum and the game is as open as it has ever been.

Finally, Roger Federer is the class act. I just love watching that guy playing.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:56   #88
Don't dream it, be it!

Ah no, you read me wrong, spyretto - I'm not just for the gay players (in all honesty, my favourite player of all-time was, is and always will be Seles - modern tennis's tragic/ heroic figure and I am thrilled that she's going to give it one more go and that she's actually fucking fit this time) and like you I'm thrilled by the possibilities of a Golden Age for women's tennis - it could certainly do with one right now.

Back to the gay thing though (oh, and my latest rather surprising theory is that Monica Seles might be gay/ bi, which I'd never really considered before, but I notice that at the last 3 or 4 big social functions she's attended there's been this stunningly attractive blondeish somewhat Eastern European looking woman in the pictures with her every time - of course it could just be a friend, but...) - one of the big mistakes I think the WTA has made in marketing women's tennis is the fact that they've felt the need to market the top players as heterosexual sex-symbols and produced these really rather appalling cheesecake calendars with the top players dolled up to the nines in an attempt to persuade people of their "femininity" and they've really been rather embarrassed about their prominently gay players and the fact that the women's tour has been seen by those in the know as a bit of a dykes' paradise.

What the fuck for? Why be embarrassed about it in this day and age? Why not market Mauresmo as a dykon? She looks butch, she's got a tattoo, rides a Harley Davidson and wears leather and denim....say it loud - I'm out and I'm proud! Seriously, they've got it all wrong - I wish I was one of the game's administrators.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:06   #89
Don't dream it, be it!

And an afterthought, spyretto - interesting that you mention Danilidou...What's happened to her then? When she first appeared on the scene I thought she would definitely be Top 10 but it's not really happening for her at the moment - has she been injured? She's still young though, and yes, it would be nice to have another attacking, serve-volleying player (that is her game, isn't it?) prominent.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:14   #90
Don't dream it, be it!

And ah yes, Roger....the chosen one.

I'll shut up now.
Old 02-07-2004, 18:51   #91
winter days ...

so a maria sharapova and serena williams final.

odd that i was telling someone the other day i have a feeling sharapova will be in the final. but i think serena wll win and i dont want her to damnit !
Old 03-07-2004, 09:06   #92
Участник

Williams would have to do “a Tonya Harding” or “a Steffi Graf” to beat Sharapova.
Old 03-07-2004, 14:39   #93
Primetime Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowerB
Williams would have to do “a Tonya Harding” or “a Steffi Graf” to beat Sharapova.
She doesn't seem to get around doing it yet. Sharapova leads at the moment 5:1 in the first set.
Oh, yeah! 6:1, 6:4 and we have Sharapova to beat Williams! The last 3 games were of a top class! I'm happy!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Olga | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ ritzer@hotmail.com ]

Latest News:
| Tatu gallery | Current News | News Archive

Last edited by forre; 03-07-2004 at 15:28.
Old 03-07-2004, 17:32   #94
My Waking Hour

I missed it!!!

I went out and forgot all about it, forgot to bet on Sharapova too. I'm not all that surprised though. She's just a better player right now and her fighting spirit is phenomenal. I'm very happy for her win

Watching on replay.

Now we just have to wait and see if this week of surprises will be concluded in fashion tomorrow

Last edited by spyretto; 03-07-2004 at 17:44.
Old 03-07-2004, 22:21   #95

Send a message via AIM to ypsidan04
Anna Kournikova is officially yesterdays news

Not only is Maria really good looking, but she's a real good tennis player too! She's been my favorite for just about a year now, and I'm glad she's won her first major, and 4th title overall. Almost certainly there will be more to come.

Now Anna Kournikova is, I dunno, 21/22, and she's NEVER won a singles tournament. Maria is 17, and has already won four. Sure Anna was a very good doubles player, and was once ranked number one in doubles, but that's a totally different game than singles is. Especially with her recent nagging injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if she retires pretty soon. And on top of the obvious athleticism disparity, Maria is at least as good looking.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

I am really happy for her.
Old 03-07-2004, 22:46   #96
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Wow... great match.
The young wave is definitely knocking on the door. 17 year old girls beating a power-house like S.Williams! That was unheard of a while back. I like Miss Sharapova. She's gorgeous AND extremely talented. Unlike some other tennis players *coughs* ... she's definitely be around for a while.
Serena is not the same as she was in 2002 though. Serena of 2002 would definitely give Miss Sharapova more problems then Serena of today did. And lets not even talk about Venus... she's been SO lost for years now.
Old 03-07-2004, 23:05   #97
Don't dream it, be it!

[quote=spyretto
Now we just have to wait and see if this week of surprises will be concluded in fashion tomorrow [/QUOTE]

Obviously you're referring to Roddick beating Federer...or is there some other sporting occasion taking place that I've forgotten about...
Old 04-07-2004, 23:51   #98
Don't dream it, be it!

Go Roger! Andy's gone up in my estimations though...he was witty and gracious in the post-match interview and sensationally intense in the first set. Roll on Flushing Meadow.
Old 08-07-2004, 18:53   #99

Send a message via AIM to ypsidan04
A couple nice articles @ Sharapova.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2557424
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2547744?GT1=4172
Old 30-08-2004, 10:31   #100
Don't dream it, be it!

And so the US Open arrives, hot on the heels of the Olympics. I will be cheering for Amelie (surprise!) in the women's tournament and Roger and Andre in the men's. I also noticed that the prize-money for this year's champions will be a cool million dollars. I wonder if this is a first for a Grand Slam tournament - I know there have been other tournaments with higher prize-money. Who is going to claim the big million?
ReplyPost New Thread