Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum General discussions

Without Prejudice

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 04:50   #1
заичонок

Without Prejudice

A Guardian article examining the change in British attitudes to homosexuality.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gayrights/...105351,00.html

I can't help wondering where the tabloid Tatu-bashing fits in to this Brave New World of gay-friendliness. I suspect the key lies in the following sentence:
Quote:
And, as Queen Victoria would doubtless have appreciated, lesbian visibility lags way behind - or when present, it's often used to up the sauce content.
Plus, of course there's the tabloid-fuelled hysteria over paedophilia. (Incidentally, are we all aware of the incident in which a paediatrician had her house daubed with the word "paedo" by two ignorant oiks? Am most embarrassed that it happened in South Wales.)

Someone was asking me a week or two ago about how accepted homosexuality was in the UK. At the risk of sounding like a complete snob (though speaking as someone with working class roots), I suggested that attitudes differed depending on people's social background as well. But I suspect I may have been led astray by stereotypes and also by the fact that I haven't lived in the UK for more than 5 years. Plus, I'm straight, so I'm hardly in a strong position to be discoursing on attitudes to sexuality, as I'm not at the sharp end.

Anyway, bit of a ramble, this. The article's interesting, though.
~~~~~~~~~~~
You've cried enough this lifetime, my beloved polar bear
Old 12-12-2003, 11:34   #2
kis$ it

Send a message via AIM to Lux Send a message via MSN to Lux Send a message via Yahoo to Lux Send a message via Skype™ to Lux
i may not be articulating at all seeing as how i'm a lil sleep deprived

i think that political views are very different from pop culture views. they are influential of each other, altough moreso socially than politically but still..legalizing marriage here doesn't mean that america will be more accepting of girl/girl romance but it's a step and it definitely does not make them like tatu more
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Complete™ forever

I never thought it would be this clear | Lux [ light-ness@hotmail.com ]
ReplyPost New Thread