Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum General discussions

Slavic Languages

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 18:57   #161
Santa's bodyguard

On a side note some interesting stuff.

"Voliti" in Croatian means "to love", in Slovene it means "to vote" (elections)

"Molim" in Croatian means "please and pardon" in Slovene it means "I'm praying".

Funny how same words have different meaning in different languages.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Ho, ho, ho. Santa is in town. And he has a list of naughty girls.

Proud "no club member" club member

Life sucks so why don't you just drop your pants and enjoy it?

Tatysite, love or leave it. And don't bother complaining, thread will be closed.
Old 01-06-2003, 19:02   #162
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Quote:
Originally posted by luxxi
On a side note some interesting stuff.

"Voliti" in Croatian means "to love", in Slovene it means "to vote" (elections)

"Molim" in Croatian means "please and pardon" in Slovene it means "I'm praying".

Funny how same words have different meaning in different languages.
I mentioned this above

Also "please, pardon" is "prosim" too us. I seem to recal that Cool mentioned waaaay back that molim (or something similar) is also "praying" in bulgarian. Then again I can be wrong again
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 01-06-2003, 19:12   #163
Echoes among the Stars

Yeah, I know that Serbian and Croatian are closer than Italian and Spanish. I meant I think Romance languages are close the way that Slavic languages are (like how Russian and Croatian, for example) - but no, I didn't mean that they're practically the same language; sorry if that was confusing.

I just looked at an online Serbo-Croatian dictionary and got this entry for love:

love = ljubav, ljubiti, voleti, voljeti

freddie, does that help?

Edit: 'molit'sia' is to pray in Russian, if I remember right. And to pardon is 'prostit''. So probably Bulgarian is similar?

Last edited by russkayatatu; 01-06-2003 at 19:27.
Old 01-06-2003, 19:25   #164
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
russkayatatu

Haha...thanks I knew they must have ljubav-ljubiti as well. But to be honest I have never heard a croatian or serbian person use thi word. They always use "voleti, voljeti" - hehe I don't know that that is the way it's spelled I, because I can't write serbo-croatian at all - I just take it as I hear it. I did learn it for a year, but that was way back in 91 when we were still Yugoslavia.

I see what you mean now with spanish and italian. I missunderstood before.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 01-06-2003, 19:34   #165
Bitchka

molja in bulgarian means ' pray' but also it means 'I beg your pardon', also it is used for 'please' - like this: 'Molja te kazhi mi' = 'please, tell me' so see, 'molja' has all kinds of use in bulgarian. molitva is a 'prayer'. molja se = 'to pray' (in 1st 'chislo' singular, meaning I am praying'
Way back I also said: prosya for us means 'to beg', but more like, a person on the street beging for money, we call such person, begger, prosyak.

russkayatatu, of course you're welcome - this is our fav. playground also
And by the way- what do you mean by 'aspect system'? Sorry, I am not too familiar with the grammar terms in English - explain and I will try to answer ya.

freddie the 'bad' words are coming tonight and lots of them, so preapre, he he

And on the Spanish-Italian question- how about this- I find it fascinating why Romanian is what it is. You know, the second closest language to Latin after Italian, and they are surrounded by us, Slavic people So Romanian is closer to Italian even more than Spanish if I recall correctly

freddie, maybe in Serbo-Croation ljubav /ljubiti is like ljubov/lubish in Bulgarian . remember, we have those words, but they arent used as a verb, mainly as a noun, for the verb we use the synonym obicham, which would correspond to the Serbo-Croatian voliti makes sense?
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!

Last edited by coolasfcuk; 01-06-2003 at 19:42.
Old 01-06-2003, 19:47   #166
Echoes among the Stars

Aspect

So, aspect: like in Russian we have two or more forms for every verb, for example zabyvat' and zabyt' (to forget), or pomnit' and vspomnit' (to remember), or pokupat' and kupit' (to buy)...it's like perfective and imperfective. One denotes a one-time, finished, completed action, and the other an ongoing, repetitive action, although those are just the general rules and there are a lot of subtleties. In general it's very hard for native English speakers to know which verb - which aspect - to use in all situations: we have problems with it the way Russian speakers have problems with articles in English (where they need them and which ones)

So, is Bulgarian very complicated? Molja te kazhi mi (see, I'm trying to learn )

About Romanian, I heard that it is the closest to Latin of all the Romance languages, and I also have no idea how that came about. Were they under the eastern Roman empire? But they mostly spoke Greek, I thought...

Probably you all already know, but in Russian we say 'prostite' sometimes instead of 'izvinite' - excuse me, pardon me, like if you bump into someone. Or if you want something: Prostite, vy ne skazhite...which can be translated as 'please tell me,' I think. Right?

Last edited by russkayatatu; 01-06-2003 at 20:01.
Old 01-06-2003, 20:22   #167
enter sadman

Send a message via Skype™ to crni
it's like this:

we do use ljubiti, but not nearly common as voljeti/voliti. ja te ljubim = ja te volim

actually, true meaning for ljubiti is to kiss but you can use it to express love also...

as for molim/moliti, the use is exactly the same as in bulgarian.
~~~~~~~~~~~
030904 - worst day of my life
.:ignorance is a bliss:.
.:truth is just an excuse for the lack of imagination:.
Old 01-06-2003, 21:13   #168
Sad Little Monkey

Cool: molitva and all that stuff are exactlly the same in our langauges, as far as "praying" is concearn but we've disscused that before. "'Molja te kazhi mi' for us would be "prosim te povej mi", prosim derived from "prositi" (to ask, pardon, please...). Russkayatatu said in in russian is "izviniti"- we don't have that one, but the serbo-croatian have this word.

Ljubav /ljubiti like ljubov/lubish - I don't think so; ljubav is "love" ljubiti is "to love", while I think that your lubish is "you love." I see Crni already answered this one so...

Russkayatatu: I have a theory about Romania. Seeing as they are closely related to italians and what separates them are slavic counties of former Yugoslavia, I belive that they lived together as tribes "lahi" (sorry I can't recal the english expression) in the regions where Slovenia and Croatia are today and were forced to split and go in two directions when the first slavic people came more then a thousand years ago. This is pure speculation - I don't the actual historic facts

Two forms of a verb: I think this is called "dokonchni" and "nedokonchni" verb (glagol). Dokonchni means "finnished verb": when the action that was happening in the verb is already finnnished, and "nedokonchni" means "unfinished" verb. Am I thinking of the right thing? That's what I've gathered from your example and explanation.

btw: In slovene:
zabyvat' and zabyt' = pozabiti is "to forget" (finished), "pozabljati" - (unfinished)

pomnit' and vspomnit' - "pomniti", "zapomniti", "spomniti" (to remember) - no unfinished verb...

pokupat' and kupit - kupiti (to buy) and kupovati (unfinnished)
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-06-2003, 04:47   #169
Bitchka

Re: Aspect

russkayatatu I understand what you are saying now Never knew what those things are called gramatically, but yes, like all slavic languages we also have them.Exmaples:
'to foget' = zabravya..ummm, cant think of the other words for this one, lol, yes, I have trouble remembering things when I am tired
'to remember' = pomnya, spomnya, zapomnya, napomnya - the last one means more like 'to remind'
'to buy' = kupya, pokupya, zakupya, nakupya
See sometimes we have even more than 2 or 3, and they are exactly what you described -some are for one-time finished actions, and some are on-going, but as you said, it is a bit more complicated than that- 'kupya' is just buy, while 'zakupya' is somethig..ahhh, they are hard to explain in English since you dont have them I dont even think about it, since it's my native language, and I know which one is for what situation

Now that you mentioned articles... OK, let me try to explain it this way..I have read that Bulgarian is more 'Analytical' language, while all the other slavic languages are not - meaning, we lost our padezhy long long time ago, and all the other slavic languages kept them. That means that - they need a certain padezh for the certain situation, while for Bulgarian, the person needs to 'analyze' the sentanse to know whats going on. I am not even 100% sure if I am explaining this correct, you are linguisitc person, probably you know it better than me...so please share. But I think English is very analytical lanaguage - it doesnt deferentiate between 'feminine' and 'masculine', doesnt have verbal tenses (glagolni skloneniya or sprezheniya - I am confused which one means what exactly), abosolutely no padezhy. Bulgarian has all the other features of the slavic languages, but padezhy, so it is not quite analytical as english.And for bulgarian, the articles are added at the ends of the words - I think I explained this once already - it is called - 'article with the objective case' [кратък член(bg) = краткий член (ru)] and 'article with the nominative case' [пълен член (bg) = полный член(ru)] The first one for us is equal to 'a' in English and the second case is equal to 'the'. So if I said: 'стена' = 'stena' = a wall, but if I said: 'стената'= 'stenata' = the wall. Or wait, now I am getting confused myself - I think what I just explained with the 'wall' example might actually be, what we call 'a definite and indefinite article' [определителен и неопределителен член(bg) = определенный и неопределенный член(ru)]. Ahhh, I am such an idiot, I need grammer refreshment, ha ha, I will do that and come clarify things, sorry if I confused you more, I confused myself !

To finish this, I will comment on the last thing you said -
in Bulgarian, just as in russin we have the same synonym (told ya, Bg and Ru are very similar ), here's what I mean:
извинете = izvinete = excuse me, pardon me is the same as: простете = prostete = excuse me, pardon me. We would say the same thing if you bump into someone, either one of the two would work 'izvinete' or 'prostete'
'Prostite, vyi mne skazhite' is in Russian in Bulgarian we would say: Prostete, vie mi kazhete- it doesnt sound very right though maybe because it is missing може = mozhe = 'can, is it possible' [kinda like можно =mozhno in Russian], which would make the more pleasant sentanse like this: 'prostete, mozhe li da mi kazhete...' = 'excuse me, can you tell me...'
The Russian one sounds a little weird to me also, maybe in certain situation it could be used, but 'Pozhailysta, vyi mne skazhite' sounds better' or maybe if you add 'mozhno' in it...
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!

Last edited by coolasfcuk; 02-06-2003 at 05:01.
Old 02-06-2003, 18:50   #170
Echoes among the Stars

coolasfcuk, I am a little confused But I think you do mean definite and indefinite articles? Because that's the difference between 'the' and 'a'. So, Bulgarian DOES have articles, you just add them on to the end of the noun. Does that make it easier speaking English, then? Because in Russian, you know, you don't have any articles and have to guess whether you need an 'a' or a 'the' or nothing in front of the noun in an English translation. So you could translate 'Xui Voine' as either 'Fcuk the War' or 'Fcuk War,' and you have to think about which way is better.

That's interesting what you said about more 'analytical' languages. I've never thought about it that way, or read that, but maybe...I know that when you lose things like cases word order becomes more important because it's one of the main 'clues' as to what words mean in the sentence. So English word order is pretty strict, while Russian is freer, and if you go back to Latin, Latin word order is practically nonexistant - you can put whatever you want wherever and it can still be read only one way

freddie, yes, that's probably what they're called In Russian 'aspect' is vid, and verbs are either 'sovershennyi vid' or 'nesovershennyi vid', so I gather Slovene has the same thing. It's funny because, yes, unless they've studied it, Russians never think about aspect; they don't even realize which one is which, and if you tell them 'brat'' is imperfective and 'vzjat'' is perfective they will look at you as if you're from another planet (heh, not something I've done, btw)

Russian has a lot more 'pairs' than I mentioned. I've seen lists and lists for ones with roots like 'pomnit'', let me see if I can remember:

like vspomnit'/vspominat'
napomnit'/napominat' (also means 'to remind', like in Bulg.)
zapomnit'/I'm not sure if there's an nesovershennyi vid for this one; it seems to go against the meaning of the word, which is - well, to remember - to remember one thing, like a name or a number, which either you remember or you don't, so how can it be nesov.?

Basically for a lot of words Russian has a lot of prefixes you can add, like ot-, u-, za-, na-, pod- (there are more) and form more perf./impf. pairs. They don't always come in pairs, like if the meaning of the verb is somehow inherently repetitive or one-time or something, but usually they do. Is all that true for Bulgarian (or Slovene)?

freddie, Russian has 'pozabyt'' too, as well as 'zabyt''; both are sovershennyi vid. It sounds like from your example that you form perf./impf. kind of the same way, with pozabiti and "pozabljati" you have the vowel change from an i to a ja, which is common in Russian too. A lot of impf. verbs are conjugated in Russian with 1st person -aiu, 2nd person -aesh', and 3rd person plural -aiut, as in ja zabyvaiu, ty zabyvaesh', oni zabyvaiut. And perf. is often conjugated with 1st person -u, 2nd person -ish', 3rd person plural -jat, like ja pomniu, ty pomnish', oni pomnjat. Uh, that's right, isn't it? I need a refresher too; it's been a while since I went over this!

In general for us adding a prefix means perfective: e.g., pomnit' (impf.) + prefix = vspomnit' (perf.) And if you want to have the same meaning as the prefixed verb but show that it's done many times or something, you often change the ending - getting vspominat' - with the a instead of the i and the different conjugation. Pokupat' is an exception, because usually the prefix 'po' means perfective; it's a very common prefix and means something like 'to start': so you can have liubit' and poliubit', the second meaning 'to start to love.'

Sorry, this is wayyyyyy too long, but I was just wondering if other Slavic languages are different or operate in basically the same way

coolasfcuk, yeah, the Russian I quoted (prostite, vy ne skazhite) was a little weird...what about, prostite, vy ne skayhite mne? Or, prostite, vy ne mozhete mne skazat'? But maybe poyhaluista is better, I dunno.

EDIT: hey, where are those Russian and Bulgarian obscenities? I was looking forward to those

Last edited by russkayatatu; 03-06-2003 at 21:19.
Old 02-06-2003, 20:18   #171
Bitchka

russkayatatu, yeah, I havent checked that, but I think definate and indefinate is what I meant, LoL. Anyway, it is still very confusing for bulgarian when to use 'a' and when 'the' or when not to use any, even though we have a similar thing Maybe because ours operates totally differeantly
The 'kratak chlen' and 'palen chlen' are something I think only we have (bulgarian) It is a bit more complicated to explain - I will attempt that a little later.

About the prefixes- we have all the same ones- po, na, nad, s, ot, u, za, pod, ect. They finction the exact same as in Russian. And we also have the pairs, most the time, unless like you said the verb is a weird one. [Oh my, I have to admit- you are making me think hard about grammar, ha ha ha, and it's hard, since like you said- I just know how it is, I didnt have to learn it like you did- so I am having the 'another planet' look in my eyes )
'kupia' and then with prefix 'pokupia' works just as in Russian for example.
lubja - polubja - same as in Russian or with our synonym: obicham - zaobicham - where the second one is to start loving someone
pomnya - spomnya with prefix- same as in Russian. And to make it done but with the prefix we would say: 'spomnih'

prostite, vy ne mozhete mne skazat'? yeah, that sounds good

And sorry about the 'bad' words, I got cought up with work, and then forgot !! It is coming tonight when I get home from work - I promise this time.
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 03-06-2003, 01:31   #172
Sad Little Monkey

russkaya & cool

Ufff, we're getting heavy into grammar here. I never was any good at grammar in school, so I hope I can help a bit. It's more fun to compare here then in school anyway

First the definite and indefinite articles. Simple: We don't have them! That's why I still get confused in english with "a" and "the" - just look at some of my posts. But I guess if you're talking in slovene you know if you are talking about a general thing or something specific; it just comes from the intonation or something...I can't explain

The prefixes: we also have most of them: -po, -na, -nad, -s, -za, -pod, -od (pronounced -ot), v (pronounced -u)
And they come in pairs as well: kupiti-pokupiti, ljubiti-zaljubiti, pomniti has a lot of them (we have basicly everything that others have except -napomnit; we say spomnit in stead of napomnit)...

Quote:
freddie, Russian has 'pozabyt'' too, as well as 'zabyt''; both are sovershennyi vid. It sounds like from your example that you form perf./impf. kind of the same way, with pozabiti and "pozabljati" you have the vowel change from an i to a ja, which is common in Russian too. A lot of impf. verbs are conjugated in Russian with 1st person -aiu, 2nd person -aesh', and 3rd person plural -aiut, as in ja zabyvaiu, ty zabyvaesh', oni zabyvaiut. And perf. is often conjugated with 1st person -u, 2nd person -ish', 3rd person plural -jat, like ja pomniu, ty pomnish', oni pomnjat. Uh, that's right, isn't it? I need a refresher too; it's been a while since I went over this!
Huh let me see how we would have this... So you said in russian it's 1.zabyuaiu, 2. zabyvaesh, 3. zabivayut.... we would say 1.jaz pozabim 2. ti pozabish, 3. on pozabi... the only one that is foreign to me is the last one -ayut... this ending has dissapeared with southern slavic languages while the first to -aiu and -aesh seem very similar to me bacause they are the same as serbo-croation.
And imperfect "pomniu": 1. ja pomniu, 2. ty pomnish', 3. oni pomnjat... 1. jaz pomnim, 2. ti pomnish, 3. on pomni... as you see we have successfully removed any conjugations that end with a -t.

Quote:
In general for us adding a prefix means perfective: e.g., pomnit' (impf.) + prefix = vspomnit' (perf.) And if you want to have the same meaning as the prefixed verb but show that it's done many times or something, you often change the ending - getting vspominat' - with the a instead of the i and the different conjugation. Pokupat' is an exception, because usually the prefix 'po' means perfective; it's a very common prefix and means something like 'to start': so you can have liubit' and poliubit', the second meaning 'to start to love.'
Yes all that you said there is correct. You add a prefix to change from imperfect to perfect (in our case pomniti - spomniti)... and if you want to say something was done many times in our case you would say "spominjati"...
pokupat...we would say "pokupiti" -I forgot about that one last time (imperf: "kupovati") - or kupiti, but never "pokupat"
Instead of liubit-poliubit we have ljubit-zaljubit(to fall in love) - so different prefix than russians... We also have "poljubit" but this means "to kiss".

Can't wait for those swear words
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-06-2003, 04:13   #173
Bitchka

Re: russkaya & cool

Quote:
(we have basicly everything that others have except -napomnit; we say spomnit in stead of napomnit)...
hmm, freddie we also have spomnya in addition to napomnya. 'spomnya' is to 'remember, and 'napomnya' is to 'remind'. [we would say: sponmi si!! = 'remember !!! and napomni mi !! = 'remind me !!']

Quote:
1.zabyuaiu, 2. zabyvaesh, 3. zabivayut.... we would say 1.jaz pozabim 2. ti pozabish, 3. on pozabi...
freddie really? pozabim sounds 'complete' to me, especially 'on pozabi'. And zabyvaiu is really 'unfinished' or 'continious' action

And so here it is in Bulgarian(in bold are the examples russkayatatu gave): Singular - 1.Az zabravyam 2. Ti zabravyash 3. Toi/Tia/To zabravya. Plural- 1.Nie zabravyame 2.Vie zabraviate 3. Te zabravyat

If we said in Bulgarian: Singular: 1.Az pozabravyam 2.Ti pozabravyash 3. Toi/Tia/To pozabravya Plural: 1.Nie pozabravyame 2.Vie pozabravyate 3. Te pozabravyat
Now that is a different case I am so confused in grammar right now, that I am not sure what to call 'perfect' and what 'imperfect' but I am sure russkayatatu can tell, since all the words, and prefixes are so close - I was never that good in grammar either, and it is harder for me, since I live in USA now, and speak a lot more English compared to Bulgarian

Quote:
And imperfect "pomniu": 1. ja pomniu, 2. ty pomnish', 3. oni pomnjat... 1. jaz pomnim, 2. ti pomnish, 3. on pomni... as you see we have successfully removed any conjugations that end with a -t.
And Bulgarian again: Singular - 1. Az pomnya 2. Ti pomnish 3.Toi/Tia/To pomni Plural: 1.Nie pomnim 2. Vie momnite 3.Te pomnyat [note for russkayatatu - the last one 'pomnyat' is like this is cyrillic помнят so exactly the same as Russian, you just translited the 'ya' as 'ja' but I try to stick to always transliting я as 'ya']

little note to freddie - oni is they in Russian, and I see you wrote the on 'words' in Slovene, which I am pretty sure is 'he' (I am also sure because I look at the word - both yours and ours are pomni for he/she/it )

Just checked with my mom on the 'verb' subject - and she reminded me - there is no infinitive form of the verb in Bulgarian, like it is in Russian and Slovene. (One other more 'analytical' part of the language) My mom said, to translate the 'infinitive' of Russian words, Bulgarians use the Singular, First 'lice', meaning the verb for 'I'(eng) = "Ya" (ru) = "Az"(bg) So for example you see, for the Russian infinitive of zabyivat' - Bulgarians would translate it as zabravyam, which you can see is the Singular, first form 'Az zabravyam' or 'I forget' . So 'zabyvat' (ru) = 'zabravyam' (bg) is the ongoing/unfinished action or 'nesovershenyi vid'(ru) = 'nesavershen vid'(bg), while 'zabyt' (ru) = 'zabravya' is the 'complete' or 'sovershennyi vid'(ru) = 'savarshen vid' (bg). You see the difference between sov. and nesov. in BG is very subtle for that particular word, it is a simple m at the end of one of the words.
I knew it was something like that - just not 100% sure, and no wonder I was thinking so much harder over those 'verbs' Ha ha, told ya, it's hard describing the grammar of your own language, since it comes intuitivly to ya.

But while I am still on the subject - to make it completely clear that we do have 'perfect' and 'imperfect' verbs, here is one more example, I saw the words while flipping through the 'obscenities' book, so it is in a way introduction to my next post with 'bad words'

The word is 'fart', so in Russian it is: 'пердеть' = 'perdet' ' for the 'continuous' and 'перднуть' ' = 'perdnut' for the other one (sorry, told ya, I got confused which one is perfect which one is imperfect )

In Bulgarian they are: 'пърдя' = 'pardya'/'purdya' (this is our ъ vowel ) for the 'continuous' action and: 'пръдна' = 'pradna'/'prudna' for the other one.
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!

Last edited by coolasfcuk; 03-06-2003 at 04:32.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:19   #174
Bitchka

'Bad words'

K, let me start, I have a feeling this will be an ongoing process, he he...

So we all know, the famous 'Хуй' = 'Hui' word. I said before, it is 100% same in Bulgarian, or 'Хуй'.

So here is some examples from my ;Obscenities' book:

1. Он на нее хуй точит = 'On na neyo hui tochit' which is translated like this: 'He's got the hots for her'. But really, literally translated it means: He is 'sharpening' his d*ck for her, or something like that - 'tochit' means 'sharpen, whet, strop'.

Now, I have heard, not too often, but still have heard people in Bulgaria use 'tocha si huia'= 'sharpening my d*ck', so the phrase from the book in Bulgarian would be: 'Той за нея си точи хуя' = 'Toi za neya si tochi huia' or 'Toi si tochi huia za neya' word order doesnt really matter

2. У него хуй медом намазан = U nego hui miodom namazan, which is translated as: 'He's a real Don Juan' When literally it means: 'His d*ck is 'lubricated' with honey'.

Ha ha, well, I have never heard this expression in Bulgarian, or at least dont remember hearing it, but it would be something like this: 'Хуя му е намазан с мед' = 'Huia mu e namazan s med' or 'Неговия хуй е намазан с мед' = 'Negoviya hui e namazan s med'.

By the way - here is one of those verbs - 'mazha' in Bulgarian is continuous or nesovershenyi vid, while 'namazha' is sovershenyi vid

3. Хуй ты ему объяснишь = Hui ty emu obyasnish', which is translated as: 'You can't explain a f*cking thing to him'. Literally it is: 'D*ck you explain to him'

In Bulgarian this would be: 'Хуй ще му обясниш' = 'Hui shte mu obyasnish', which is very likely to be used

4. Иди на хуй = Idi na hui, which is translated as: 'F*ck you'. Literally: ' Go on d*ck'. I have heard this Russian one a lot, so I can say it is pretty used, same for: 'Poshol na hui' which is in a way the sovershenyi vid, while the first one is the nesovershenyi vid.

In Bulgarian, also used: 'Иди на хуй' = 'Idi na hui', or 'Varvi na hui', or 'Sedni mi na huia' literally meaning 'Sit on my d*ck'

5. Хуй тебе в зубы = 'Hui tebe v zubyi', which is translated as:'F*ck you''. Literally meaning: 'D*ick in your teeth'

In bulgarian it is: 'Хуй в зъбите ти' = 'Hui v zabite ti'

note: In Bulgarian, as I said before Хуй(Hui) = Кур(Kur). So every one of those 'hui' you can substitute with 'kur' and nothing will change

OK. I am really tired now, hope this is enough for start. And I havent even covered half of what they have given for 'hui', not even 1/3 of it !!! ha ha, more to come. But you can see how similarly Russ. and Bulgarians form phrases with the 'bad' words.
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!

Last edited by coolasfcuk; 03-06-2003 at 22:14.
Old 03-06-2003, 21:40   #175
Echoes among the Stars

uh, only have a few minutes, but just wanted to say -

SORRY for all the heavy-duty grammar, guys. I don't know how I got started on that

freddie, Russian has the prefix za- too, which usually means 'to start' (not in 'zapomnit'' though, btw I changed the translation on that above), but it doesn't work for liubit' - we have vliubit'sia (to fall in love) and poliubit' (to start to love). But za-, I don't know, 'on zarabotal' for he started to work? Anyway, for a lot of verbs it works like that.

Haha, I've heard some of those (not the sharpening one or the honey one though ). Coolasfcuk, what about 'fig'? Does Bulgarian have that? Cause in Russian you can say things like: 'nu tebya na fig' and 'fig vam' - which I guess are sort of like go to hell and fcuk off - and are similar to the ones with xui (except if I'm not wrong they're not quite as obscene? The tebya na fig one anyway).

WOW, by the way, Russian and Bulgarian really do seem similar.

I'll come back soon and try to clean up the rest of the grammar mess I've started, I promise
Old 03-06-2003, 22:45   #176
Bitchka

russkayatatu, dont ya worry about the grammar stuff, it is all good This way I refresh my Bulgarian, and I desperately needed it, he he

Quote:
Russian has the prefix za- too, which usually means 'to start' (not in 'zapomnit'' though, btw I changed the translation on that above), but it doesn't work for liubit' - we have vliubit'sia (to fall in love) and poliubit' (to start to love). But za-, I don't know, 'on zarabotal' for he started to work? Anyway, for a lot of verbs it works like that.
Yes, Bulgarian has the 'za' prefix also. And like you said, it is usually associated with 'to start'. In bulgarian it is 'zapomnya'. Your example 'zapomnit' is exactly the same for us - it is not exactly 'to start remembering' but to 'zapomnya ime' is 'to remember a name' - like a one time deal.

Continuing with your examples: In Bulgarian: vliubya se = 'tp fall in love', and poliubya = 'to start to love'. To explain a little - the first example 'vliubya se' is used all the time to describe when you fall in love, but 'poliubia' is one of those 'getting old' words, that are used but rarely, it is actually a synonym for 'zaliubya'. See, once again, Bulgarian has the Russian version and the Slovene ones )

Next example: 'zarabotal' in Bulgarian is zarabotil. Coming from 'rabotya' = 'to work'. 'zarabotil' for us it also means to start working, but also it could mean something that you have 'made', does it make sense, like: 'zarabotila sam mnogo pari' = 'I have made lots of money' - but I think this is used in slang

About the swearing - he he, russkaya, 'podazhdi' I have just started typing stuff up, so I only sticked to 'hui', 'fig' was coming next, with 'ebat'. But to answer your question - the word 'fig' doesnt exist in the Bulgarian language. But you are right, the 'fig' ones are not as obscene as 'hui' ones.
so you can say: 'Idi na fig' or 'poshol na fig', but if you wanna be bad you say: 'Idi na hui' or 'poshol na hui'

I am gonna continue with more 'bad words' when I get a chance - work is killing me lately, so much to be finished before I take off for Europe for 2 months

Quote:
WOW, by the way, Russian and Bulgarian really do seem similar.
Told ya, you should trust me. You can learn another language without too much effort, especially after what I've seen so for Where would you use it - he he - that's a totally different thing, since there are about only 8 million Bulgarians, or something like that
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 03-06-2003, 23:05   #177
Uhaku's alter ego

Send a message via MSN to Uhaku
umm...being an asian ...i'm not quite sure if polish is slavic...does anyone know? and if u know, how does the name 'Czeslaw' sound to u? i'm, uh, just curious...
Old 03-06-2003, 23:10   #178
Sad Little Monkey

Quote:
hmm, freddie we also have spomnya in addition to napomnya. 'spomnya' is to 'remember, and 'napomnya' is to 'remind'. [we would say: sponmi si!! = 'remember !!! and napomni mi !! = 'remind me !!']
We have "spomni se" - "remember" and "spomni me" or "opomni me" for remind me.
Interesting ha?

Quote:
freddie really? pozabim sounds 'complete' to me, especially 'on pozabi'. And zabyvaiu is really 'unfinished' or 'continious' action

And so here it is in Bulgarian(in bold are the examples russkayatatu gave): Singular - 1.Az zabravyam 2. Ti zabravyash 3. Toi/Tia/To zabravya. Plural- 1.Nie zabravyame 2.Vie zabraviate 3. Te zabravyat
Ha? Heren't we talking about the perf. here? Guess I've got confused. Yes pozabim Is "dovrshni" (just remembered we call them dovrshni and nedovrshni glagol), while nedovrshni would be pozabljam.
So once again, conjugation for "pozabljam"
1. jaz pozabljam
2. ti pozabljash
3. on pozablja

Quote:
little note to freddie - oni is they in Russian, and I see you wrote the on 'words' in Slovene, which I am pretty sure is 'he' (I am also sure because I look at the word - both yours and ours are pomni for he/she/it )
OK,sorry I've fcuked up on the on- oni part...
So let's change that to plural: Sng: on pomni, Plu: oni pomnijo

Quote:
**The word is 'fart', so in Russian it is: 'пердеть' = 'perdet' ' for the 'continuous' and 'перднуть' ' = 'perdnut' for the other one (sorry, told ya, I got confused which one is perfect which one is imperfect )**
Yup, we have that one too: prdet-prdnit...(nedovrshni and dovrshni)

Hehe...I love those curse words... my favourite is "U nego hui miodom namazan"...
Infact I like it so much, that I'm gona translate it in Slovene and start using it myself: "Njegov kurc je z medom namazan"

Well we also have a lot of "dick" ones, but the expressions are pretty different...
But there are some similarities:
"Idi na hui" - We have this one. Kurc (or kurac) is slovene for dick, and for some reason we don't say "on my" dick, but "in my" dick, so our expression looks like this: "Idi v (pronounced u) kurac"

Hui ty emu obyasnish'= "kurc mu lahko objasnish", this is a pretty common one...

Quote:
freddie, Russian has the prefix za- too, which usually means 'to start' (not in 'zapomnit'' though, btw I changed the translation on that above), but it doesn't work for liubit' - we have vliubit'sia (to fall in love) and poliubit' (to start to love). But za-, I don't know, 'on zarabotal' for he started to work? Anyway, for a lot of verbs it works like that.
Yeah, it's almost like a rule that the ones begining with -za usualy mean to start something. I guess that's where we got the logic to say zaljubiti - to fall in love...
~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by freddie; 03-06-2003 at 23:27.
Old 03-06-2003, 23:13   #179
Sad Little Monkey

Quote:
umm...being an asian ...i'm not quite sure if polish is slavic...does anyone know? and if u know, how does the name 'Czeslaw' sound to u? i'm, uh, just curious...
Yes indeed Polish is slavic. but it is a language that I understand the least of all the slavic ones. Maybe because of their pronounciations.
Czeslaw'- how does it sound? Hmmm...slavic I guess. This would probably be the polish version - they have the -cz together. We would say Cheslav.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-06-2003, 23:44   #180
Uhaku's alter ego

Send a message via MSN to Uhaku
thanks, freddie. have u ever heard of this name before? is it a common name?? old-fashioned??
~~~~~~~~~~~
Irina Slutskaya
the champion of my heart
I salute you!

I know it's not the correct order of the colors of the Russian flag, but I want Irina in blue anyway. Yeehaw!
ReplyPost New Thread