Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum General discussions

Celebrity Worship Syndrome

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 14-08-2003, 14:21   #1
Just say maybe

Celebrity Worship Syndrome

Research would have it that 36% of people in Britain suffer from a newly identified psychological syndrome called Celebrity Worship syndrome. I strongly suspect that the number of people at Tatysite who have CWS is somewhat higher. For people with CWS, interest in celebrities is not just entertainment, but also has a 'clinical component' - the need to interact with celebrity (and maybe one celebrity in particular) becomes core to that persons psychological make-up.

"One Theory," according to the London Evening Standard, "is that in a society dominated by TV and with a decline in extended families and communities, celebrities have taken the place of relatives, neighbours and friends for many people. Respect for family members has been replaced by the worship of the famous."

Interestingly, mild 'sufferers' are likely to benefit from their condition, learning discriminatingly from their favourite celebrities - recognising and interpollating their aspirational traits. And, celebrities can be a bonding tool. t.A.T.u. have brought me to Tatysite after all.

But, maybe we're not all mild sufferers here. Maybe some of us have reached a point where our devotion impairs normal life.

This is what I'm interested in. Firstly, do you 'worship' t.A.T.u. or either of the members? Or, eek, Ivan.

If you do, how does it affect your life?

(Edited for sloppy spelling.)
~~~~~~~~~~~
Stay in the underworld with me.

Last edited by Tom Violence; 14-08-2003 at 15:39.
Old 14-08-2003, 15:09   #2
заичонок

Re: Celebrity Worship Syndrome

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Violence
This is what I'm interested in. Firstly, do you 'Worship' t.A.T.u. or either of the members? Or, eek, Ivan.
Actually, Ivan is my role model

I saw this today and thought of everyone here. It was a comment in the article I read about the need to know detailed stuff about the celeb's life that particularly rang true - not personally, but having observed the discussions here. I'm more "obsessive" about collecting material on video and reading magazine articles about them than I've ever been about any other band/artist, but I think that's just because I've got the time and wherewithal. I'm not too bothered about the minutiae (sp?) of their lives and whether Lena has younger or older siblings, but I do come over all "butterflies in the tummy" when I see them on TV. However, much as I'd like to have the chance to meet them in real life, I know I'd just be a gibbering wreck and fail to say anything of any interest whatsoever, so I'm happy just being an arm's length fan.
~~~~~~~~~~~
You've cried enough this lifetime, my beloved polar bear
Old 14-08-2003, 15:21   #3
Phanphic Phreak

Lightbulb Re: Celebrity Worship...

For myself, I don't idolize Yulia or Lena. Granted, I've written a whole lotta fanfics about 'em, BUT... There are certain things they've done that didn't earn my unwavering devotion. Example: Before the Eurovision Song Contest, they made some cruel remarks about one of their competitors - an older female singer from Germany or Austria. Lena had said something to the effect of: "In Russia we put our elderly in homes, we don't let them perform in public." She clearly exhibited contempt for older talent, not taking into account that SHE will not be eighteen forever. It sounds like she could take a lesson or two from Tina Turner on the issue of longevity in the music biz.

Another example is the contemptuous demeanor they had during a press conference in Japan. Yawning and blowing off questioners by noodling with their cell phones.

And during an autograph signing in New Jersey, many fans (many of whom discussed the experience at tatugirls.com.) noted the cold, impersonal attitude of the girls toward the kids seeking autographs. (Go to Willows site: www.taty.ro for an interesting first hand account of meeting tATu in person.)

I don't HATE them for that behavior, and you could argue that it is their youthfulness that makes them so oblivious to their own impolite behavior. On the other hand, they could learn a thing or two from earlier entertainers (Motown, Marvin Gaye, hell... even the Beatles) about exhibiting grace under pressure.

Yes, there have been entertainers before tATu that exhibited the same blase attitude in public: The Rolling Stones are prime examples. But as someone who owns appreciates their music, I can say that because of their contemptouous behavior towards their fans in the prime of their career, I don't place them on a pedestal and worship them blindly. (For interesting accounts of the Stones in their youth, Read "Up and Down with the Rolling Stones" by Tony Sanchez or "Gimme Shelter" the film documentary by the Maysles Brothers.)

As a fan of rock, hip-hop and everything in between, I've developed this perspective: That you should appreciate the music and the performance, and refrain from exalting the performers or even using them as role models for your own behavior. I may be preaching to the congregation, I may even sound like an old fart. All the same, that's my opinion of tATu and performers in general.

As for my relatives, I've been fortunate enough to keep strong relations with them. I discuss everything from frivolous stuff (what movies I've seen, what albums I've bought) to matters closer to the heart (How we've grown as people, What we think of politics, the state of our government, religion, and so on.) When I was young, I would go the homes of my freinds. The coldness within some families and the ferocity in others shocked me and made me realize that the warmth and friendship within my own family (far from perfect, I might add) is an increasingly rare thing in this world.

Well, that's it. In the immortal words of Johnny Rotten...

"There, I've pontificated!"
Old 14-08-2003, 16:00   #4
pie crust

Me Am Hulk, I toooootally agree! They just act too rude sometimes... I can write a whole book about it, but I don't really feel like explaining right now.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Monika | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ <3 ] [ 11 ]
Old 14-08-2003, 16:14   #5

Send a message via AIM to ypsidan04
Hey, Ivan brought us Lena & Yulia. You gotta thank him for that. I does make me feel bad when I hear that Y&L act rude sometimes to people, because I don't want to think of them that way. I want to think of them as being sweet and caring (but maybe they only act that towards each other). No, I don't worship t.A.T.u. or anybody else. I think certain people here do, and that's great if they want to do that. And if you do, don't change just because of this.

Old 14-08-2003, 18:21   #6
ROCK FOR LIGHT

I was at the NJ autograph session and I thought the snottiness was hot... but that's just me. I actually got a smile from both of them and Yulia spoke to me very breifly. That was good enough for me. But back to my point, I kind of like their attitude. At times it's definitely inappropriate or taken too far, but I still love the whole "we're tatu, f- you" attitude.
~~~~~~~~~~~
as sick as i am, i would never be you
Old 14-08-2003, 20:47   #7
pie crust

Disengage, they do seem very sweet but sometimes they act tooooo rude.. Way too rude... At least I think so.. When they called Kylie Minogue a bitch for example.. That was really rude I think.. Although I don't like Kylie
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 14-08-2003, 23:24   #8
Full Circle

Quote:
Originally posted by queenbee
[BWhen they called Kylie Minogue a bitch for example.. That was really rude I think.. Although I don't like Kylie [/b]
In their eyes Kylie is a bitch as they know she has a better ass than them !!

Idol worship to me signifies some element is missing from a person life so you fill it with whoever / whatever ...

Get out more !

Interact face to face with people ...
Old 15-08-2003, 01:11   #9
Wandering Soul

It could be a new form of religion in modern societies. People just need an alternative spiritual opium to fill the void of life.
Old 15-08-2003, 05:19   #10
Участник

People like having some form of attachment to something.
I wouldn't say i worship tatu obssessively....in fact, I can't say I really want to meet them in person.

How does tatu affect me in normal life? Probably the only things that I do now that I didn't before are buy teen mags and scribble "TATU ARE THE BEST!!" on tables, chairs, toilets doors etc.

p.s i don't believe that yawning is a sign of rudeness.
when you're tired or bored it just happens!
Old 15-08-2003, 16:40   #11
pie crust

o.O New form of religion.. It scares me.. That's when people go nuts and start spying on their idols and kill them for being so beautiful or something?!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 15-08-2003, 20:27   #12
Your Distraction

Send a message via ICQ to Ripptyd Send a message via AIM to Ripptyd Send a message via MSN to Ripptyd Send a message via Yahoo to Ripptyd
Ah well see, my liking of them stops at the point that I really don't have a desire to meet them personally.
See them at a concert? Sure. Grab an autograph and a brief picture? Of course.
But I wouldn't want to sit down and talk with them.
There's a line I draw when I have interests in celebrities.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Still, you bolded all your best words, so they'd have something to wrap their mouths around
---
I'll still say your name to fall asleep
A cynic saying rosary; a liar in his make believe

|| livejournal || myspace || facebook me || son fic || website ||
Old 15-08-2003, 21:57   #13
iMod

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghalib
No one has a better ass than Lena.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]
Old 15-08-2003, 22:11   #14

Send a message via AIM to ypsidan04
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghalib
When you say "them", you mean Yulia, right?

You're right Haku

"TATU ARE THE BEST!!" on tables, chairs, toilets doors etc.

I gotta start doing that!
ReplyPost New Thread