Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum General discussions

Linux, anyone? Querying about OS's and explorers.

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 09:03   #21
Harrumph.

skye, I'm about to learn how to use Red Hat. Is it good?
Old 02-01-2004, 10:37   #22
<-- she...mine!

Send a message via AIM to skye Send a message via Yahoo to skye
darje, it depends on what you are focusing on in using the OS if you want to build server(such as ftp sever, mail sever or write some program like C++ or perl and the original program code is shown in linux), I recommand you to use linux because it's more steady than windows, if you use computer just in order to surf the net or do some photoshop thing, I think windows is better But it's harder to learn linux , for me I think onewinged is good at this OS, one of the ftp sever for taty video is built by him
Old 02-01-2004, 11:00   #23
Harrumph.

skye, I'm interested in programming and learning Perl on my own (C++, I think I'll rather start learning that one when I official enter computing school ). I already have the bases to an old programming language, Pascal, which is really simple to learn if you want to escalate into more complicate ones. So yeah, I'd use Linux to learn more about open source and programming.
Old 02-01-2004, 17:59   #24
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Re: Linux, anyone? Querying about OS's and explorers.

1. What is the Operating System with which you started?
Depends on what you mean. Strickly IBM PCs? Then I started on MS-DOS, and then went quickly to Win 3.11.
Even before that, in the 80s I had a Commodore 64 and whatever the system it was instaled there in the ROM (I think it wasn't even an OS per see, just a program language, or am I wrong? I know that the start commands were a "Load "$" , 8, 1" (something like that) if you wanted to run a program.

2. What is the Operating System you use nowadays?
Win XP Professional

3. What is the explorer you use for browsing/surfing the web?
MS I. Explorer (yes I'm such a bore. LOL)
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 02-01-2004, 18:35   #25
Bitchka

1. What is the Operating System with which you started?
uhhhhhh, I dont know ... I was 2 grade (so 1986), we had a class on computers (ha, thanks for my special school) - and the computers were some Bulgarian computers, called Pravetz All I leraned to do it is draw geometrical shapes: "fwd 4, right 90, fwd 4, right 90, fwd 4, right 90, fwd 4 - and you got a SQUARE)
after that little class, I didnt touch computer (excluding secretly sneaking on my brothers Commodore 64 in my early teenage years) until I came to America in 1997. Umm... as far as I remember it was Windows 3.1... i think

2. What is the Operating System you use nowadays?
I switch all the time
@ one work I use Windows 2000 , ha ha, I know they are BEHIND here - stingy rich large firm
@ my fun work I use - Mac OS X Panther v.10.3.2

3. What is the explorer you use for browsing/surfing the web?
@ the PC IE
@ the MAC - Safari

so if you ask me - MAC all the WAY - esp. for graphics am now in the process of planning on buing the G5 for my house, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 02-01-2004, 19:58   #26
Gimme some sugar!

Quote:
Originally posted by skye
$in, thanks a lot hope that could sovle my problem
i'll help, just pm me anytime
Old 03-01-2004, 17:20   #27
<-- she...mine!

Send a message via AIM to skye Send a message via Yahoo to skye
Quote:
Originally posted by darje
skye, I'm interested in programming and learning Perl on my own (C++, I think I'll rather start learning that one when I official enter computing school ). I already have the bases to an old programming language, Pascal, which is really simple to learn if you want to escalate into more complicate ones. So yeah, I'd use Linux to learn more about open source and programming.
That's great that you love programming thing Before learning C++, we studied Turble C(<--but it's trouble C terrible C in my opinion ) first, it could be the bases of programming language. I don't really know about Perl , that's what my teacher said, but if you want to be a hacker, you can not to know nothing about perl
And I haven't even heard about Pascal
And still thanks to $in
Old 04-01-2004, 04:30   #28
Harrumph.

skye, Perl, methinks, is based in C (or C is based in Perl, I don't remember ). Perl is a very important language, but for all I know, I could be lying. :P All I know is that most REAL hackers know Perl like the palm of their hands.

Turbo C, don't you mean?

Pascal is a language in which you can write Windows 3.x applications, DLL's (thought I'm not sure if they work for all kind of OS's) and DOS programs.
Old 06-01-2004, 21:48   #29
iMod

Quote:
for example, Haku's first encounter with DOS must have been an interesting... what, 15 years ago?
LOL, i don't really remember when it was, early 80s i guess.
Computers back then didn't even have hard drives, just 2 5.25" floppy drives (400kB i think), 1 for the OS and 1 for your files, and the screen was monochrome.
Even Apple computers used DOS back then, dark ages...
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]
Old 07-01-2004, 04:02   #30
Harrumph.

haku, very. Just imagine Apple with DOS. *SCREAM.* Hard to believe computers were heavier when they didn't have Hard Drives.

( haku, $in, this wallpaper is for you. :P http://www.deviantart.com/view/4508327/ )
Old 07-01-2004, 08:10   #31
winter days ...

preferred personal use : freebsd baybee! linux is shit imho. red hat is a nice newbie distro of linux to start out with. to really sink your teeth into linux, try slackware.

i find freebsd more secure, less prone to core dumps, better at being a work station and a server. but linux has its uses i suppose... _i_ just dont have any use for it

at work i use : xp [reinstalling 2k soon as i LOATHE xp], freebsd and slackware.

at home since i only have one pc at the moment i have a win 2k box so my brother and sister can also use it. sister cause she lives at home still too and brother because hes too lazy to dial up from his own house.

started out with dos 5 i think ... or whatever was around when i just started high school in 1991.

starting using nix [solaris, linux [various distros], freebsd] when i was 18 so its been about 8 yrs now.

browser wise i use several : opera for linux, konquerer for linux, and IE6.

pascal was cool back in the day ... perl and pascal are similar in the way the syntax works. as is c and parts of c++.

perl is fairly easy to learn and even easier to forget :P i find the easiest way to learn perl is to take a script and hack it to bits to make it do what i want it to.

if anyone needs help with any nix problems ... just pm me im happy to help at any time as its part of my current job description anyway [systems administrator, lan administrator, wan administrator, isp network admin etc]

my programming skills are rusty though so be warned else pm me anytime
Old 07-01-2004, 08:29   #32
Harrumph.

rosh, you've just put my heart to rest. :P I thought Perl was more approximate to C++ and as any good n00b, I was crapping on my pants. I'm ANXIOUS to learn, goddamn. *Starts thinking about dumping Pascal.*
Old 07-01-2004, 08:40   #33
winter days ...

darje : pascal, c, perl velly velly similar

learn slowly, good book , perl for dummies, has an active perl cd in it too etc etc.

are you going to learn perl on a *nix box or a windows box ? if windows i can dig up my active perl cd or point you to a url where you can download it ?

i learned it on a freebsd box. [just cause i love the CLI and am too nerdy for words hehe]
Old 07-01-2004, 15:44   #34
Gimme some sugar!

thanx darje
Old 07-01-2004, 15:49   #35
you'll need love

Quote:
this wallpaper is for you.
totally cute
~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't waste your time on me you're already
the voice inside my head
Old 07-01-2004, 16:11   #36
pie crust

TLFdk, I agree.. I'm actually using it.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Monika | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ <3 ] [ 11 ]
Old 08-01-2004, 00:44   #37
enter sadman

Send a message via Skype™ to crni
i'm a little late...but anyways...

1. WinME
2. WinXP & Mandrake Linux 9
3. Opera (the fastest (imo) of them all , but javascripts have serious issues )
~~~~~~~~~~~
030904 - worst day of my life
.:ignorance is a bliss:.
.:truth is just an excuse for the lack of imagination:.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:05   #38
iMod

Quote:
this wallpaper is for you. :P
Ooh thanks, cool I like it wery wery much.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]
Old 08-01-2004, 04:16   #39
Harrumph.

QueenBee, then like 5 people from this forum are using it. :P Me too.

rosh, I'll buy Perl for Dummies as soon as I get my paycheck. Thanks for the advice! A Windows box (soon to be changed, PRAISE THE LORD).

Edit: change the computer as in change processor, mobo and hard drives, thought not the OS. Build a new one for myself, in a few words.

And I forgot to add that Mozilla has serious trouble interpreting .html files done in Frontpage (not that I use it, but it simply won't read straight any of the ones my friends do on Frontpage).

Last edited by Kappa; 08-01-2004 at 04:21.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:46   #40
you'll need love

Quote:
And I forgot to add that Mozilla has serious trouble interpreting .html files done in Frontpage (not that I use it, but it simply won't read straight any of the ones my friends do on Frontpage).
no wonder.. the html created is the worst. I use HTML-kit myself. Mostly because I can click the things needed to be insterted and therefor save some typing..
~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't waste your time on me you're already
the voice inside my head
ReplyPost New Thread