Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum General discussions

Name's Day

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 19:22   #1
no....

Name's Day

I am currently enrolled in Russian 100 at my University. It basically focuses on the Culture and History of Pre-USSR Russia. And is very facsinating.

The Focus led us recently to the "Name's Day" which is the festival of a person's Namesake Saint. On a childs baptism they are givin a Cross and an Iconic Namesake pendant [thing] that they always wear around their neck. If you haven't noticed yet, Yulia and Lena are also always wearing a cross and a saint.

It then goes to say that they celebrate the "Name's Day" more importantly than birthdays... and that they get presents and such on their name day. This section was placed right after Alexander the 1st's death.

Thinking on the past, i seem to remember hearing of Yulia getting something for Name's Day, but maybe not.

My basic question for Russians [or other Eastern Orthodox Christians] is, do you still celebrate the Name's Day like Alexander the First's time? During the Napoleonic Wars and such?

If so? When are Yulia and Lena's Name's Days?

Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2003, 20:20   #2
motylik

Send a message via ICQ to Lena410
well..I'm not Russian and I'm not an Eastern Orthodox Christian either, but Name's Day is a very important day in the Slovakian and Czech culture as well. I don't think it has anything to do with being baptized and getting a cross in my country, because then I would have not been entilted to get any of the nice presents I got.

In Slovakia name's day, when I was small, could have changed until now, was as important as a birthday.

I have no idea when Lena's and Yulia's name's days are though, because they are slight differences in each country.
Mine is on Christams. so I always get twice as much presents. And noone ever forgets. Life can be good sometimes.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Asking the right questions will make all the doubts go away." ~ German teacher
"Having the right doubts will make all the questions go away." ~ My best(est) friend ^^
ReplyPost New Thread