Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum Sports and Entertainment

Favorite Books and Authors

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 20-10-2003, 21:11   #41
Участник

Send a message via ICQ to nath Send a message via MSN to nath Send a message via Skype™ to nath
Arthur Miller=The crucible
Old 20-10-2003, 21:13   #42
Echoes among the Stars

Arthur Miller ( sunwalk I see you beat me to it )

It's interesting, one of Orwell's primary inspirations was a novel called "We" by the Russian author Zamyatin, also futuristic, written in the '20s...I've never read Nineteen Eighty-Four actually but "We" isn't bad
Old 20-10-2003, 21:24   #43
no....

sunwalk, Thanks! It was Killing Me that i couldn't remember it!
Old 20-10-2003, 22:11   #44
Участник

Send a message via ICQ to nath Send a message via MSN to nath Send a message via Skype™ to nath
Russkayatatu...it's funny because you "beat me too"..hehe...i was just thinking about Zamiatine and "Nous autres"("We" in french)....
"The Idiot", Rilke ..i liked them!....Oscar Wilde is, for me, of course, associated to "DE profundis " and "La ballade de la geфle de Reading"(something like that...written in prison , too)..i don't like his plays, neither but i adore his short novels for children "Le rossignol et la rose" , "Le prince heureux" et "L'anniversaire de l'Infante"("the nightingale and the rose", "the happy prince" and "the birthday of Infante") ...

Don't worry about "Gertrude Stein and the understanding"... nobody understood what she wrote excluded her..Hehe.... for me , she has interest only in the fact that she helped a lot of young painters and writers,as a "patron"(mйcиne in french)....but "A rose is a rose is a rose..."... it is a little boring!....and somebody who writes "I met only 2 geniuses in my life: Me and Picasso.".. that gives me desire for leaving while running... she was pretentious to die...!!!....but the book of her girlfriend is very interesting about artistical life in Paris after the 1rst World War : "The Gertrude Stein's Autobiography" by Alice Toklas..

Spyretto..i don't know "The pidgeon" but i've always heard great things about "Le parfum"("Das parfum") by Patrick Suskind...Henry James is great!

Lux..i agree with you Steinbeck is marvellous...

thegurki...you welcome..

I stopped reading for a long time (just a book or two a year now)..but this thread gives me desire to read again a little more...Thanks Russkayatatu....
And i think.....GOLD (Arthur), FIZDALE (Robert) : "Misia La vie de Misia Sert"(Misia the Misia Sert's Life) is a very interesting book too....she was a "mйcиne"(patron) and she knews a lot of artists and was the friend of Coco Chanel...very good biography....
Old 21-10-2003, 00:55   #45
Echoes among the Stars

sunwalk, you are more than welcome Thank YOU, it's amazing for me to talk to someone who has read and loved the same books...yes, I don't think the "Alice Toklas" book was the one I was reading, although I thought about reading it...maybe now I'll try it again. And I'll be sure to see about Oscar Wilde's stories for children... Thanks everyone for recommendations; now I'll have to go find Periodic Table (for example) and Steinbeck and Vonnegut (which I still have not read ).

I read all the time, although most of it isn't "serious reading" - there are books I have to read slowly and pay a lot of attention to, and there are books I can read in one (short) sitting, mostly nonfiction: travel narratives, biographies, history, psychology; I like to read them occasionally, just for fun - like instead of watching TV Most books aren't wonderful - in fact most are garbage - so when I read these "other" books I usually just skim and can get everything out of it that way - although if it's something I'm really interested in, then even books that aren't very well-written become much more valuable just because of their subject matter - this is kind of the way that I read a lot of history; the last books I read like that were A Concise History of Bulgaria and Einstein and Picasso Kafka said something about how a book should be like an ax cracking through our frozen mind; if it's not deeply affecting us, our opinions, and our way of looking at the world then why are we wasting our time? This is what I like to get out of reading, a look at life as if from someone else's window.

Here are some books that I've liked that aren't fiction:

A Mathematician's Apology by G. H. Hardy. I like this book not so much for the "apology," which is fine, but for the foreward by C. P. Snow, which I've read several times; I think it is GREAT - it is mostly a portrait and biography of G. H. Hardy, who was a famous mathematician. It made me want to read more by C. P. Snow, who has written some novels and and addresses - when I was in Europe I saw some of his novels but at the time I didn't have enough money to buy them and I thought I'd wait until I came back to the states...bad idea...now I can't find them

I also liked Men of Mathematics, by E. T. Bell, and The Man who Deciphered Linear B (about Michael Ventris, an architect), and Gods, Graves, and Scholars (about archaeology and archaeologists like Petrie, Woolley, Layard, and the decipherer of the Egyptian hieroglyphics, Champollion). I liked it so much I read a great biography of Austen Henry Layard - now I don't remember what it's called - and another one of Richard Burton (the explorer, not the actor)...so apparently, a lot of biographies - also Les Mots (by Sartre, about his childhood), and Roald Dahl's Boy and Going Solo, and Robert K. Massie's Nicholas and Alexandra, about the last tsar of Russia. Also when I lived at home we had a 2-volume book on the composers, so for fun I would read those, all about Clara and Robert Schumann, Wagner's pretentious early work, Wolf being so poor he had to read piano scores like they were books.

Other good books: Blessings in Disguise, by Alec Guinness, and...I am getting back into fiction....Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, and some of the Bond books by Ian Fleming: From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, Dr. No, Octopussy...the later Bond movies took the titles but not the plots of the original novels, but the early ones are faithful. They're only OK, I guess, but kind of fun.

Something else that people like to read...does anyone read comics? In my opinion the best series is FoxTrot, by Bill Amend - it's very clever stuff - I highly recommend it . He's been doing it for almost 20 years, probably, and there are several collections out
Old 21-10-2003, 08:40   #46
Santa's bodyguard

Guy Burt-The Hole. Just finished it. Damn, that's one fine book. A bit short but IMO even if it was longer it wouldn't be much better. Much, much better than movie, which one can expect (OTOH I liked the movie a lot).

Off to start Himmler's biography. It's supposed to be good....
~~~~~~~~~~~
Ho, ho, ho. Santa is in town. And he has a list of naughty girls.

Proud "no club member" club member

Life sucks so why don't you just drop your pants and enjoy it?

Tatysite, love or leave it. And don't bother complaining, thread will be closed.
Old 25-10-2003, 06:42   #47
My Waking Hour

I guess you're right about Slaughterhouse 5 thegurgi, and I wouldn't contradict you since you're a fan of Vonnegut and it's been such a while I've read that book. But they're futuristic elements in it, and they function as a cautionary tale, like the whole of 1984 does... so I think...

russkayatatu what's happening? soon enough you'll be speaking Greek better than I do

Quote:
spyretto, I've been meaning to start Nikos K.'s Zorba the Greek When I have a little more free time I will. Also I haven't read Foucault's Pendulum but it's another one I've been meaning to.. and Shakespeare, I love Shakespeare, but especially watching the plays or listening to them on cassettes; I don't like reading them so much.
Zorba is just wonderful, very easy to read...and very idealistic

Quote:
I love Shakespeare, but especially watching the plays or listening to them on cassettes; I don't like reading them so much.
Naturally, those plays were written to be performed. But I always have the book next to me while watching, ( not so easy to follow if you're not an English native speaker - but if you do that it's as easy as 1,2,3, )
I'd like to read "the Idiot". I'll probably do one of these days in the distant future I also tried to read something by Evelyn Waugh but didn't finish. I can't even remember what it was - not the one you mentioned.

Haha, now I remember the last book I read "How to succeed in job interviews" LOL

Last edited by spyretto; 25-10-2003 at 06:58.
Old 26-10-2003, 18:29   #48
we shout

Quote:
Originally posted by denial
... I tried .. I never finished any novel .. last year I tried to read that Vanish from Susan Sarandon ...still not finish ...lol ..
[/b]
ahahahahaha .. after I bought that 'Thelma and Louise' movie, I just realised that Susan Sarandon is an actress .. I don't remember who wrote that Vanish book

Post edited
~~~~~~~~~~~
I will forget my dreams
Nothing is what it seems
I will effect you
I will protect you
From all the crazy schemes

You traded in your wings
For everything freedom brings

You never left me
You never let me
See what this feeling means

Last edited by denial; 27-10-2003 at 19:17.
Old 26-10-2003, 21:13   #49
My Waking Hour

yes, if u also include Brit Spears' biography....
Old 30-10-2003, 04:25   #50
Echoes among the Stars

Pearl S. Buck is another good author: I've read The Good Earth, The Three Daughters of Madame Liang, My Several Worlds, and some collected stories ... My Several Worlds is a great book: her autobiography - her life was fascinating; she was an American, the daughter of missionaries who grew up in China and lived there when she was a young wife as well. The Good Earth won her the Nobel Prize, but I'd recommend My Several Worlds before it ... also her short stories; some of them are good. I like her style of writing: very simple and direct; it's kind of cleansing to read after you haven't for a while - at least I think so. At her worst she sounds old-fashioned and too simplistic, but I don't think they're real faults - she has some interesting things to say, and My Several Worlds in particular is definitely worth reading
Old 30-10-2003, 18:30   #51
motylik

Send a message via ICQ to Lena410
I don't really have time to find all the titles of the books I like. I'm awful at remembering titles and writers.

One book I completly adore though came to my mind.
I absolutly love Dostojevsky's "Crime and Punishment". That book is just awsome. I would read it again if I had enough time.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Asking the right questions will make all the doubts go away." ~ German teacher
"Having the right doubts will make all the questions go away." ~ My best(est) friend ^^
Old 06-11-2003, 22:16   #52
Участник

I haven't read that many english books yet, but I really like
Speak
Happy Potter (all 5)
To kill a mocking bird
Bud not buddy
Old 07-11-2003, 00:08   #53
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clark
Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
Contact - Carl Sagan
The Stranger by Albert Camus
The Overcoat by Nikolay Gogol
Arthur Hailey - almost everythig, from Flight Into Danger Airport, Wheels, hotel to Moneychangers and Strong Medicine.
Catcher In The Rhye - JD Salinger's
The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupйry's (everybody should read this...it has SO many layers)
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:33   #54
viva la scientology!

I don't read much, unfortunately, because I'm a slow reader. Not in a handicapped kind of way. It just takes me forever to finish a book because, when I read, I want to catch every detail. I also have a short attention span and I'm easily distracted.

But, I have read some great books. Most were for school, but others were just for the hell of it. Right now I'm almost finished with Jack Kerouac's "On The Road." After that I'm gonna read Angelina Jolie's journal from her refugee work. I've read "Anthem" and "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand, and classics like "To Kill A Mockingbird," "Brave New World," "Inherit the Wind," "Wuthering Heights," "Catcher In The Rye," and "Their Eyes We're Watching God" (one of my personal favorites).

I read "One Day in the life of Ivan Denisovich" by Russian author Alexander Solzhenitsyn. The novel is a grim display of Soviet work camps. I also want to read books by Thoreau, Nietzche, and Anias Nin.
Old 01-04-2004, 20:48   #55
Echoes among the Stars

His Master's Voice, by Stanislasw Lem is one of the best books I've read in a long time.

Paul Bowles I was thinking of going to Morocco so I looked him up and read a few of his stories, which are unlike anything I've ever read before ... don't know how to explain, exactly ... I'll think about it, but I would say, maybe ... he places you in the position of the victim of torture, of an awful situation - one, moreover, that has NO SOLUTION - you know you're going to die, or realize it soon enough. People are killed usually without knowing exactly what's going on or how they could have prevented the attack; the violence seems senseless from their perspective, because there's intrigue, plotting unknown to them ... and they have premonitions, but usually don't act on them, or are unable to act on them, and then at once they're caught and no longer what they were - and soon after that, dead.

I have no idea what to make of these stories but they're rare and scare me to death And Tennessee Williams and Gore Vidal thought he was amazing. Has anyone here read anything by Paul Bowles?

And this will sound strange but there's a book out there called New Stories from The Twilight Zone, an anthology of all the stories that were adapted for episodes for the revival of "The Twilight Zone" in the '80s - and all of them are pretty good. They're all stories I'd like to see adapted for the screen ... if I ever find a copy of this show it oughta be fun

Also, Richard Matheson's teleplays there are a few volumes of his Twilight Zone episodes - I like Richard Matheson, and I like his scripts. Together with Rod Serling and Charles Beaumont he wrote most of the Twilight Zone episodes in the early '60s - he's also written short fiction and at least one vampire novel, but those are not really my thing, although I understand they're of high quality too.

edit: Recently I also read an article on Gandhi by Arthur Koestler, and he mentions facts I didn't know and conclusions I've never thought of before. Highly recommend anything by him; he's incredible.

I also saw that Deirdre Bair has a new biography out - on Jung That's the trouble about working on one topic, I can't sit down and read a big biography on Jung, or the Iliad - I have to keep to my paper but I read her biography on Simone de Beauvoir, along with other biographies of Simone de Beauvoir, and I thought hers was the best. Check her books out sometime if you want to or happen to be interested in the people she writes about: aside from Jung and de Beauvoir, she's also written a biography of Beckett, and one of Anais Nin.

Last edited by russkayatatu; 01-04-2004 at 21:01.
Old 20-01-2006, 01:21   #56
kis$ it

Send a message via AIM to Lux Send a message via MSN to Lux Send a message via Yahoo to Lux Send a message via Skype™ to Lux
Literature: Favorite Books and Authors

yes. but ok, books are like..music. it's too hard to pick favorites sometimes. but name a few you absolutely love. adore. can read over and over. your personal classics. this way, we can all share literature that we love. go on.

i love Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead. I love Steinbeck's East of Eden...Crime and Punishment, the Brother's Krazmakov (or however that's spelled LOL).

As for authors, I find Socrates and Plato to be fascinating. Dante isn't bad either. The epics The Odyssey, the Illiad, are also great. I also like..the House of Leaves, a hard read. And I also had a thing for Stephen King once, when he was really good. Not so much anymore. what else what else...Zola, Tom Robbins, .... can't think of anymore in this state right now.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Complete™ forever

I never thought it would be this clear | Lux [ light-ness@hotmail.com ]
Old 20-01-2006, 01:27   #57
Ice_Cream

Send a message via ICQ to Rachel Send a message via AIM to Rachel Send a message via MSN to Rachel Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel Send a message via Skype™ to Rachel
*cough*ermmm*cough*
~~~~~~~~~~~
Tatutaty: "Horny Rachel is her name. Masturbating is her game. Fucking, sucking, licking too. Wouldn't you like some Rachel screw? *batteries not included*"

PuddleQueen | Rachel | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ rm6405@hotmail.com ]

My music playlist on Last.fm
Old 20-01-2006, 01:28   #58
kis$ it

Send a message via AIM to Lux Send a message via MSN to Lux Send a message via Yahoo to Lux Send a message via Skype™ to Lux
oy. i could've guessed.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Complete™ forever

I never thought it would be this clear | Lux [ light-ness@hotmail.com ]
Old 20-01-2006, 01:39   #59
My Waking Hour

I read on the internet; the subtitles of foreign films, the signs in the streets when I'm looking for directions and instructions for use of new electrical and electronic devices. The last one I read was the instructions for my battery charger.

That's enough reading.

Which reminds me: I need to re-read the instructions for my mobile phone.
Old 20-01-2006, 02:00   #60
blah

my all time fave books are:
Liviu Rebreanu (Romanian author) - The Forest of the Hanged
Paulo Coelho - Veronika Decides to Die
George Orwell - 1984

when i was younger, i read a lot of Alexandre Dumas and later John Grisham. right now i don't have as much time as i'd like to read, but i tend to focus on sci fi, also because i'm doing my BA on the subject.
ReplyPost New Thread