Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum Sports and Entertainment

"I'm the only gay in the village" Voted Best Comedy Catchphrase

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 10:26   #1
a kind of fresh madness

Talking "I'm the only gay in the village" Voted Best Comedy Catchphrase

From MSN Entertainment News:

Quote:
The Little Britain line "I'm the only gay in the village" has been voted the best comedy catchphrase of all time.
Matt Lucas's (Dafydd's) one-liner has beaten famous sayings from the likes of One Foot In The Grave, Blackadder and Austin Powers.
The late comic Tommy Cooper's "Just like that" came second in the poll of 3,800 TV viewers, followed by Homer Simpson's "Doh!"
Del Boy's "Lovely jubbly" from the hit sitcom Only Fools And Horses was fourth in the survey for entertainment channel UKTV Gold.
Award-winning BBC comedy Little Britain scored two further entries in the top 20.
Teenage delinquent Vicky Pollard's "Yeah, but no, but yeah but" came fifth and "I'm a laydee", from the David Walliams transvestite character Emily Howard, was 12th.
The Fast Show's "Suits you, sir" was sixth and Father Jack's "Drink, feck, arse" in Father Ted seventh.
Victor Meldrew's "I don't believe it" from One Foot In The Grave came eighth, followed by Phoenix Nights star Peter Kay's "Garlic bread, I've tasted it. It's the future".
Tenth was Baldrick's "I have a cunning plan" from TV comedy Blackadder.
The Simpsons were one of only three American acts to make the top 20 - alongside Oliver Hardy's "Here's another fine mess you've got me into" and Mike Myers' "Yeah baby" from Austin Powers.
Any thoughts?
I know a lot of you here won't have seen 'Little Britain' and so won't be able to judge it's comedic merits. Personally I think the only reason it won is because it's new and so fresh in people's minds.
Why isn't Mr Humphries from 'Are You Being Served's classic line "I'm free!" in the list? And no mention of any characters from 'Allo'Allo??
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
or is it just to humour us before we die?
Old 15-01-2005, 15:36   #2
Lazy

Have to say i'm surprised it was voted the best of all time.
I do like what i've watched of Little Britain but it's very similar to what Reeves and Mortimer were doing years ago.
Other things like "Gonnae No Dae That" from Chewin the Fat,"You don't want to do it like that" from Harry Enfield,"Are yee lookin at my Braaa"from Reeves and Mortimer will have generally been ignored.
My personal favourite from Little Britain is when the Barmaid is talking to the gay guy after he's sent another Gay away and she says"You could ave ad a bit o' cock there Dave"
~~~~~~~~~~~
Everybodys born to do a certain thing,If you're dead jammy you find it.
If you're good at it keep doing it.If you're fed up go and do something else.
We're really only here to look after the place
Old 17-01-2005, 23:37   #3
a kind of fresh madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZ
Have to say i'm surprised it was voted the best of all time.
Yeah, I'm surprised too. I guess it's just cos 'Little Britain' is the current flavour of the month. People tend to have short-term memories when it comes to opinion polls such as this. If this poll had been taken 2 years ago it would've been 'Bo Selecta' that ruled the top 10.
Quote:
Other things like "Gonnae No Dae That" from Chewin the Fat,
'Chewin' The Fat' is an all time classic. It's never gonna have a look-in when it comes to things like this though, cos it's never been shown on TV outside of Scotland.
I doubt the English would understand half of it anyway!
Quote:
My personal favourite from Little Britain is when the Barmaid is talking to the gay guy after he's sent another Gay away and she says"You could ave ad a bit o' cock there Dave"
To date, I've only seen 2 episodes of 'Little Britain' and that was one of them. Very funny.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
Old 17-01-2005, 23:41   #4
My Waking Hour

It's a hell of a good catch phrase but in the city he'd be one of the many queer folks... and please, oh please I don't wanna see that guy naked again taking a bath. I hope that goes to the producers of the show
Old 17-01-2005, 23:44   #5
a kind of fresh madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyretto
It's a hell of a good catch phrase but in the city he'd be one of the many queer folks...
And that's what's funny about it. He whinges and complains that he's "the only gay in the village" and that he's lonely and out of place, but as soon as another gay person comes along he does whatever he can to drive them away. He's so determined to remain unique and one-of-a-kind that he's perfectly willing to sacrifice his own happiness in order to do so!
It's both funny and tragic at the same time.
But maybe I'm just reading too much into it.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
Old 18-01-2005, 12:18   #6
Lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossopp
'Chewin' The Fat' is an all time classic. It's never gonna have a look-in when it comes to things like this though, cos it's never been shown on TV outside of Scotland.
I doubt the English would understand half of it anyway!

D
Actually now i've thought about it my favourite EVER Comedy sketch was in Chewin the Fat.
Do you remember the one with the 2 kids whispering to each other at the Ice Cream Van?
The woman on the van says.."What is it?What does he want?" and the wee boys pal says in true ned style voice..."He wants a swatch o yer fanny"

I also believe a best of Chewin the Fat and Still Game were shown Nationwide by the BBC.Wish i could've watched it with an English person just to see how much they actually understood.

I can't wait for Series 4 of Still Game.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Everybodys born to do a certain thing,If you're dead jammy you find it.
If you're good at it keep doing it.If you're fed up go and do something else.
We're really only here to look after the place
ReplyPost New Thread