Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum Sports and Entertainment

Recommend a band

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 28-08-2003, 22:14   #1
a kind of fresh madness

Talking Recommend a band

We all know that everyone here loves tATu, but if you could recommend one - and only one - other group for people to check out, who would it be?
I'd recommend The Ataris.
They are a not-particularly-well-known (in the UK anyway) punk band from California. I saw a couple of their videos on P-RockTV but I never really paid any serious attention to them untill I heard their cover of 'Boys Of Summer' on Scuzz. This prompted me to get their most recent album, 'So Long, Astoria', and after hearing that I was totally hooked. Their lyrics are amazing! It's a lame thing to say but I don't think I've ever heard any other band whose songs I can relate to so well!
They also seem to have a pre-occupation with 80's teen movies. 'The Goonies', 'Stand By Me' and 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' have all been mentioned in Ataris songs. It's the bands lyrical fascination and reverance for childhood and failed relationships that really hooked me.

I'll shut up now and give y'all a chance to recommend something!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
or is it just to humour us before we die?
Old 28-08-2003, 22:35   #2
Участник

Send a message via MSN to zebu
I would recommend Placebo, you have all probably heard some of their songs, if you haven't you should definitely get one of their albums. The new one "Sleeping With Ghosts" is great and I would also recommend "Without You I'm Nothing".

I really love their music, it doesn't sound like t.A.T.u. at all, I don't know where to put them, I've read few times that people wrote is some kind of glam-rock-punk but I wouldn't categorize them at all, they are something special.
~~~~~~~~~~~
pogledaj da li me mozes presnimiti
Old 28-08-2003, 22:37   #3
New Dicking Cream!

Send a message via AIM to XtremeHollywood
.?.

The White Stripes. They are not a great band but their live show is awesome.
Old 28-08-2003, 22:44   #4
enter sadman

Send a message via Skype™ to crni
well...

i'd recommend farmer boys, a band from germany...i've heard about then from my friend and i really like 'em...they play some real good metal i can always listen...and i don't get bored

if you like metal, but nothing furious, even with some slow sections...check 'em out
~~~~~~~~~~~
030904 - worst day of my life
.:ignorance is a bliss:.
.:truth is just an excuse for the lack of imagination:.
Old 28-08-2003, 22:57   #5
kis$ it

Send a message via AIM to Lux Send a message via MSN to Lux Send a message via Yahoo to Lux Send a message via Skype™ to Lux
just one?

*thinks*

American Football - they've broken up but their few lps are good.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Complete™ forever

I never thought it would be this clear | Lux [ light-ness@hotmail.com ]
Old 28-08-2003, 22:57   #6
Участник

Re: well...

Quote:
Originally posted by crni
i'd recommend farmer boys, a band from germany...i've heard about then from my friend and i really like 'em...they play some real good metal i can always listen...and i don't get bored

if you like metal, but nothing furious, even with some slow sections...check 'em out
i have their album "the world is ours" and it's quite good, specially song "here comes the pain"
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 28-08-2003, 23:25   #7
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
I'd recomend The White Stripes as well.

I love the whole Rock&Roll going back to it's roots concept... the guitar sound and the hooks are so much like the early Kinks ("You really got me going", "All day and all of the night") or the Animals.
The lyrics by Jack White are nothing special, but still stand out from today's mediocre scene (especialy in some songs).
Be warned though - if you don't like the 60s rock then you'll despise this band. The albums are deliberately made to sound unpolished in production, to get that aditional retro feel (constant noise of the apms in the background, screaking...)

Try it out. Tatu said they want to be more Rock N Roll on their next album as well, so it might be a good preparing phase till you wait.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 28-08-2003, 23:28   #8
enter sadman

Re: Re: well...

Quote:
Originally posted by zebu
i have their album "the world is ours" and it's quite good, specially song "here comes the pain"
yeah, they're really great
and btw i've never met anyone that even remotely heard about them and not to mention, listens to them (except a friend who showed 'em to me)...so right now i'm like...WOW

anyway...my favourite is "we sow the storm" but the whole album is, imo, pure class A product
~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by crni; 28-08-2003 at 23:36.
Old 28-08-2003, 23:42   #9
Just say maybe

One group. Juniper Moon.

I'll say that assertively, as if there aren't a hundred other bands I want people to listen to.

Anyway, they're a five piece from Ponferrada in North-West Spain. Their debut single, '"їVolverбs?' was played on Steve Lamacq's Evening Session, back in 1999. I was on the verge of turning the radio off, but ended up turning it up as far as it would go. The very fact that a Spanish language song made it onto national radio in this country is probably something of an achievement.

It took me eight months to pick up a copy. And another five months to be able to play it, since at the time I didn't have a turntable. Thankfully, it was every bit as good as I remembered it being.

They play silly slow-motion punk rock songs about love and sex. But to me they do it better than pretty much anybody else, bar maybe Superchunk. Is that sneaking in another recommendation? Sorry. And they're no older than I am. Plus they've two female vocalists who do a nice line in two-part harmonies.

There's a song to be downloaded here, if you so wish. This is the title track from their one and only LP so far.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Stay in the underworld with me.
Old 29-08-2003, 00:51   #10
viva la scientology!

Quote:
I would recommend Placebo... and I would also recommend "Without You I'm Nothing".

Yeah I have that song on my computer. the Unkle remix.

hmm... I'd have to recommed Mindless Self Indulgence becuase they have to be heard to be understood. It's definitely not for everyone, and it gets old fast, but for anyone who likes their music wierd and unique, MSI is worth checking out. They make songs like no one I've heard. Kinda rock/techno/hardcore and a whole lota other stuff.
Old 30-08-2003, 06:33   #11
shit happens :D

Send a message via ICQ to karxwp
I recommend Lacuna Coil My favorite italian metal band

pd. And me likes placebo too Brian Molko is awesome, love Black Market Music album.
Old 30-08-2003, 16:05   #12
Участник

Re: Re: Re: well...

Quote:
Originally posted by crni
yeah, they're really great
and btw i've never met anyone that even remotely heard about them and not to mention, listens to them (except a friend who showed 'em to me)...so right now i'm like...WOW

anyway...my favourite is "we sow the storm" but the whole album is, imo, pure class A product
I also haven't met anyone before that knows/listens to Farmerboys. I guess they have few fans in Croatia. I saw their video "If You Ever Leave Me Standing" few years ago on Viva so I told my dad to get me their cd when he was in Germany.He actually said that he had to go to few cd-shops to find it.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 30-08-2003, 16:28   #13
enter sadman

Re: Re: Re: Re: well...

Quote:
I also haven't met anyone before that knows/listens to Farmerboys. I guess they have few fans in Croatia. I saw their video "If You Ever Leave Me Standing" few years ago on Viva so I told my dad to get me their cd when he was in Germany.He actually said that he had to go to few cd-shops to find it.
and i saw them on OVERDRIVE few years ago playing live and as soon as i heard "while god was sleeping" i said to myself they're a pretty good band, and then my friend (out of nowhere) showed me the album he downloaded
and then after hearing the whole album i said to myself i must have the original album cause this mp3 sounded really bad
and so i went to search it in slovenia and italy but with NO luck and imagine where i found it...in prague two years ago where i went with my class...and boy was i surprised when i saw it on a bookshelf...i didn't hesitate a minute, i just had to have it...and the rest is history
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 01-09-2003, 01:16   #14
tATu - Fan

Thumbs up

I would recommend "Core22", it's a rock-pop-band from Switzerland.

Their album "Massive Love" was the best so far, one great song after the other.
Their newest album isn't that strong as they've gone more into pop in order to be played on swiss radio. Nevertheless "Massive Love" is the album to listen to and get a feeling for this band.
They're playing quite a lot of Open-Airs in the Switzerland and some in Germany but they're not a breakthrough-band so far.

The singer is called Sonia and she writes most of the songs - music and lyrics, and she has 3 guys behind her who as well know their job/instruments.

Last edited by Rob; 01-09-2003 at 01:22.
Old 04-09-2003, 21:13   #15
Quality Control

Hmmmmmm..... Im going to recommend a duo called Atmosphere ....They probably won't be of interest to anyone on here, but they're IMO the biggest known name in the Underground...

Anyway a couple of tracks if anyone want's to hear 'em..

Modern Man's Hustle
The Woman With the Tattooed Hands
Anneurysm

*Sneaks out of the thread*
Old 04-09-2003, 22:48   #16
the unattainable kish

Send a message via ICQ to kishkash Send a message via MSN to kishkash
*winks at freddie* 7 Nation army? (me likes that one)

erm reccomend a band/artist....Sam Roberts!!! if u interested im sure there is lots o muzac of hizzle out there (prob on kazaa lite or somefin) if not...just PM me

*i worship that man*

and ima gonna cheat a little and recommend another band...Our Lady Peace (OLP) prob not everyone knows about them but i sure think they're snazzy *geeky smile*. The lead singer's wife ain't bad either Chantal Creviazuk has some catchy tunes *puts on headphones to listen to them*

edit: OhhOhh *jumps up and down* and David Usher too! i'll shut up now
~~~~~~~~~~~
Ze origional p.I.m.p
karens quote of the day: 'If i were gay it'd be so much easier'

forkMeRaw | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ urmamawantsme@hotmail.com ]

Last edited by kishkash; 04-09-2003 at 22:54.
Old 04-09-2003, 23:18   #17
Your Distraction

Send a message via ICQ to Ripptyd Send a message via AIM to Ripptyd Send a message via MSN to Ripptyd Send a message via Yahoo to Ripptyd
Gahhhh...Only one??
I have 3 of my favorites off the top of my head. I CAN'T narrow it down!
So I'm breaking the rules and telling all three:

Four Star Mary: http://www.fourstarmary.com
Awesome rock group, got some cult fame by being the alter-ego Dingoes Ate My Baby on BtVS.

Tony Lucca: http://www.tonylucca.com
My sex god. AMAZING man. My first childhood crush. He sounds even BETTER live.

Howie Day: http://www.howieday.com
SUCH a great performer live. Amazing with his looping equipment. Literally a one man band.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Still, you bolded all your best words, so they'd have something to wrap their mouths around
---
I'll still say your name to fall asleep
A cynic saying rosary; a liar in his make believe

|| livejournal || myspace || facebook me || son fic || website ||
Old 04-09-2003, 23:38   #18
Just say maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by THEvolkovaADDICT
Hmmmmmm..... Im going to recommend a duo called Atmosphere ....They probably won't be of interest to anyone on here, but they're IMO the biggest known name in the Underground...
I listened to all three songs. I'll admit I was cynical, as I'm naturally inclined to distrust any scene that makes a virtue of it's 'underground' status. Often it's a cover for sloppy production and a shortage of the kind of quality songs that would take an act overground. However I really liked what I heard - especially the first two songs.

The instrumentation reminded me of Arrested Development or even Warren G's less daft moments. These comparisions should be viewed as positive. Rap music attained perfection in 1992, after all. Maybe. I'm a sucker for mellow, daisy-age stylee stylings.

The third song did less for me. Maybe because it sounded, to my ears, a bit too similar to 'The Way I Am' by Ms. Volkova's favourite. I think that distracted me. Any chain of thoughts that runs towards Yulia generally does. That and my attention was swayed by Dirty Sanchez on the TV.

Yah. But just to say I was impressed, anyway.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Stay in the underworld with me.
Old 05-09-2003, 00:03   #19
Lazy

I'd recommend The Wildhearts-A fantastic pop/rock/punk band from England.They've been about for years but their new album The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed is a classic.
Check them out at www.thewildhearts.co.uk
Everyone is hyping The Darkness but Wildhearts album is much better.
Also check out The Donnas an American all girl rock band at
www.thedonnas.com
You can listen to most of the album on the site.
Old 05-09-2003, 00:15   #20
OG

Send a message via AIM to madeldoe
oOh.. okay my first recomeendation would be Immortal Technique.. i doubt anyone would be interested in em either, since its rap (though i think THEvolkovaADDICT might be interested..and although ive heard atmoshpehere waay back, i never heard Anneurysm before..so thanks for the link! ) The song im giving the link to is crazy...guaranteed to send chills up yoru spine..well it did to me..Though the lyrical content are NOT your daft hip-pop lyrics, it is a bit explicit..but the message is what's mad crazy..

:gone:

And as rap and hip-hop goes..i also recommend Binary Star and Black Eyed Peas

And for mellow rock..I highly recommend Damien Rice..download Volcano..I just adore that song..
~~~~~~~~~~~
"im fly as hell. swagga right. brown skin poppin like, dynamite"

Last edited by madeldoe; 29-10-2003 at 03:44.
ReplyPost New Thread