Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum General discussions

Slavic Languages

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 23:55   #181
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Quote:
Originally posted by uhaku
thanks, freddie. have u ever heard of this name before? is it a common name?? old-fashioned??
Yeah I've heard it. I can say it's definitely not slovene, but it sounds familiar to me. It's slavic for sure. I don't belive it's oldfashioned. The syllable's are nothing special -che and -slav... we have both but just not in that combination.

If I can make a guess I'd say it's polish. But that's strictly layman's opinion.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 04-06-2003, 00:02   #182
Uhaku's alter ego

Send a message via MSN to Uhaku
thank you, freddie ^_^
~~~~~~~~~~~
Irina Slutskaya
the champion of my heart
I salute you!

I know it's not the correct order of the colors of the Russian flag, but I want Irina in blue anyway. Yeehaw!
Old 04-06-2003, 00:13   #183
Santa's bodyguard

Quote:
Originally posted by uhaku
thanks, freddie. have u ever heard of this name before? is it a common name?? old-fashioned??
CZESLAW m Polish
Derived from the Slavic elements chest "honour" and slav "glory".

from http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/pol.html
~~~~~~~~~~~
Ho, ho, ho. Santa is in town. And he has a list of naughty girls.

Proud "no club member" club member

Life sucks so why don't you just drop your pants and enjoy it?

Tatysite, love or leave it. And don't bother complaining, thread will be closed.
Old 04-06-2003, 00:24   #184
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Thanks for this link Luxxi it's awesome.

btw: "honour" in slovene would be "chast", while "glory would be "slava".

Chastislav maybe. but I've never heard that name here. But he have nummerous names ending with -slav (like Miroslav, Tomislav, Rastislav, Radoslav, Branislav (also Branimir) ... probably more, I can't remember now). never thought this had anything to do with "slava".
~~~~~~~~~~~

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Last edited by freddie; 04-06-2003 at 01:24.
Old 04-06-2003, 00:31   #185
Uhaku's alter ego

yes, i got that name from the website, luxxi. but thanks anyway..^_^!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Irina Slutskaya
the champion of my heart
I salute you!

I know it's not the correct order of the colors of the Russian flag, but I want Irina in blue anyway. Yeehaw!
Old 04-06-2003, 17:47   #186
Новенький

I'm little late but yep, Czeslaw is a Polish name. It is kind of old-fashioned. It was still very popular 50-60 years ago.

Edited: Ooops I forgot that I can't use all our letters.
Old 04-06-2003, 19:19   #187
Echoes among the Stars

coolasfcuk, he he, I didn't mean to pressure you about the swearing - I can wait, LoL. As you said, work is more important

Za sega tova e, but I will be back soon
Old 04-06-2003, 19:50   #188
Bitchka

Quote:
Za sega tova e
russkayatatu, Molodets !!!! Picking up fast !

How would you say that in other slavic languages: 'That's it for now.' ?

A rabota - voobshe fignya kakaya-to! Koshmar !! (ru) = A rabota - vaobshe gnyaz niakakva ! Koshmar !! (bg) = And work - so f*cked ! Nightmare !! (eng)

There are some bad words for ya.
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!

Last edited by coolasfcuk; 04-06-2003 at 22:16.
Old 04-06-2003, 20:30   #189
Sad Little Monkey

Quote:
How would you say that in other slavic languages: 'That's it for now.' ?
"To je vse za zdaj" - slovene
"Ovo je vse za sada" - serbo-croatian (I'm not 100% sure about this one)

btw: I talked to some russian guy from Ural and he said that the word "hui" isn't really russian, that they adopted it from tartar language. They have another word for it but I can't remember it now (something begining with p...peyzda or something like that...)
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 04-06-2003, 21:46   #190
Uhaku's alter ego

Quote:
Originally posted by coscos
I'm little late but yep, Czeslaw is a Polish name. It is kind of old-fashioned. It was still very popular 50-60 years ago.

coscos thanks. is that name a cool name? or do u have any name that's old and cool to suggest me? i'd be appreciated it
Old 04-06-2003, 22:12   #191
Bitchka

Quote:
"To je vse za zdaj" - slovene
"Ovo je vse za sada" - serbo-croatian (I'm not 100% sure about this one)
He freddie, yes, the word order doesnt really matter that much, so the bulgarian one can turn into:

'Tova e za sega' - this is the shorter version, meaning, 'vsichko' = 'all' is taken out, since it is not really needed to understand, it is kinda slang way of eating it out, since everyone knows what is being said
The full sentanse would be: 'Tova e vsichko za sega'

More bad words coming later
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 08-06-2003, 20:43   #192
Echoes among the Stars

I don't have too much time, but I thought I would introduce more grammar fun while we're waiting on those bad words

freddie, do NUMBERS decline in Slovene? Or other languages, for that matter? They do in Russian, and that is a real nightmare. To give an easy example: 'do dvux' (until two) - or, to use one from a tatu song, 'doschitai do sta' (count to 100). Ah, that's not so hard, but when you get into saying something like 'with seventeen girls,' 'until three hundred' things get fun (I am not even 100% sure how to say them, to tell the truth, because it does not come up that often, but I think: 's semnadcatiu devushkami,' and 'do trexsta' - although trexsta sounds kind of weird to me; I don't know if that's right or not - ah, I need a grammar refresher!!).

Also, about some of these xui/fig expressions: in Russian sometimes the accent will go on the preposition, as in 'tebya na fig': 'na' is stressed and 'fig' is unstressed. Does this happen in other languages? It doesn't happen with every preposition, but sometimes it does, and I think it tends to be associated with the nouns also.

And one last question: Russian reduces its unstressed vowels, especially 'o', which sounds kind of like 'a' when it's in an unstressed position. Do others? I thought maybe it was only Russian, because I remember that Old Church Slavonic didn't have vowel reduction and I know that Polish doesn't...when I was looking at that Bosnian song I thought, based on 'pokazhi' that it didn't either, but then I realized they had 'govorish', and those didn't sound like fully pronounced o's to me. So, what about Bulgarian, Slovene, et al.?

Last edited by russkayatatu; 08-06-2003 at 20:57.
Old 09-06-2003, 22:07   #193
Sad Little Monkey

russkayatatu

Yes the numbers decline in Slovene. It's not a big problem... you just have to know basic declination rules, plus some extras
Dochitai do 100 - in slovene: "shtej do sto" - that's easy yes - it's in the 1. sklon (padezh)
With 17. girls (btw, we write dot's infront of the number when it declines) = S sedemnajstimi dekleti (17=sedemnajst)
'until three hundred' - Do tristo (this doesn't decline in slovene. Are you sure it declines in Russian? "Trexsta" sounds funny to me as well

About accents on the prepositions... I can't remember any like that at the moment... have to think of some more expressions... but I don't think we have that.

As far as I know we don't reduce the unstressed vowels: i heard that russians do that and it always sounded kinda funny. I know that we don't do that and croatians, bosnians and serbs don't do it neither (we have pokazhi and govoriti (govorish) as well as they do and we don't reduce it... maybe it sounds like that when spoken quickly but it's not a rule.)
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 11-06-2003, 22:13   #194
Echoes among the Stars

freddie, I haven't checked it but I am almost positive I made "trexsta" up. Sorry! I'm pretty sure that in Russian words like 300, 400, 500 etc. don't decline also. Sometimes my brain is too active and gets ahead of my ear...

Yes, I can see why numbers declining isn't a problem. Let me back up. There are just a whole lot of number declension issues in Russian, and that makes it hard, at least for non-native speakers. For example, the numbers 2, 3, and 4 (dva, tri, cetyre) are followed by a noun in the singular genitive case, one (odin, odna, odno) doesn't specify a case (so, nominative if it's a subject), and the numbers five and up take a noun in the genitive plural. So you have odin god, dva goda, and pjat' let (one year, two years, five years). That's not that hard, but if you have an adj. that goes with the noun it's in genitive plural, regardless of whether the noun itself is in genitive singular or plural. So: odin xoroshii god, dva xoroshix goda, pjat' xoroshix let (one good year, two good years, five good years). And if the noun is feminine, like kniga (book), the genitive sg. is the same form as the nominative plural, so most people will say dve xoroshie knigi instead of dve xoroshix knigi (two good books), because xoroshie is the nominative/accusative plural form that usually goes with knigi, and since two is more than one I guess people think it's plural.

I just did a horrible job explaining that And you probably have something similar anyway Anyway I am kind of sorry I brought the subject up, because it is probably difficult only for me, but I was just remembering that I had a lot of headaches over all the declensions involving numbers in Russian when I studied it. And uh, there were even more rules that were harder than the one I just described, but I can't think of them right now.

But in any case, I'm pretty sure you're right, 300 does not decline, so a phrase like "okolo pjat'sot celovek" (about 500 people) would be correct...I think

Last edited by russkayatatu; 11-06-2003 at 22:19.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:48   #195
Sad Little Monkey

(odin, odna, odno), that's probably what we say (eden, ena, eno)...
Then about the years: "god" changes into "leto"??? Interesting I didn't know that. We have "leto" for a "year", "leta" in plural and it's always like that (declensions in plural leta, let, letom, leta...) ..., serbo-croatian expression is "godina".
Otherwise I think that our declension here is the same as in Russian: Eno leto, dve leti, pet let (one year, two years, five years)...
With the adj. added I think that it's in genitive form as well... let's see. Good in slovene is "dobro". Eno dobro leto, dve dobri leti, pet dobrih let... huh? Is that similar? I'm slightly lost here.
Oh yes now I get what you mean... feminine...Year is in feminine in "slovene" that's why it's different. For "knjiga" (book) it's the same case - stays in nominative - "dve dobri knjigi" ...
Let me try to think of a masculine example...OK Chlovek (man, himan being). Eden dober chlovek, dva dobra chloveka, "pet dobrih ljudi" ... hmmm..I guess it stays in nominative as well... in genitive form it'd be "petim dobrim ljudem")

IS this what you meant of did I just completely missunderstod?!
~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 15-06-2003, 23:48   #196
Прохожий

hey

the polish fan is here czesc!
Old 16-06-2003, 00:08   #197
enter sadman

Send a message via Skype™ to crni
and...

why the polish fan isn't here polish?
~~~~~~~~~~~
030904 - worst day of my life
.:ignorance is a bliss:.
.:truth is just an excuse for the lack of imagination:.
Old 16-06-2003, 00:22   #198
Прохожий

right here, i was just browsing through the other parts of the forum b/c no one was in this part.
Old 16-06-2003, 01:05   #199
pie crust

<---Polish.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Monika | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ <3 ] [ 11 ]
Old 16-06-2003, 01:06   #200
Участник

Right on Monica
ReplyPost New Thread