Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum General discussions

Learning to Breakdance with Stop it!

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 18:34   #1
Losing it!

Learning to Breakdance with Stop it!

We will begin our first class with....

The History of Breakdancing

Breakdancing seems so different from all other kinds of dancing that the first question people ask when they see it is: "Where did these kids learn to dance like that?" To many people, this dance seems to have come out of nowhere. But like everything else, Breakdance did come from somewhere, something and someone. In the case of Breakdancing, the someone is the great superstar, James Brown, and the something is the dance, the Good Foot. In 1969, when James Brown was getting down with his big hit "Get on the Good Foot" the Hustle was the big dance style of the day. If you've ever seen JamesBrown live in concert or on TV, then you know he can really get down. And when he preformed his hit, he did the kind of dance you'd expect James Brown to do. High Energy. This almost acrobatic dance was appropriately enough known as the lot of kids around New York City.

By the time the Good Foot became the new dance style, the tradition of dance battle was well established. Dancers would gather at places like Harlem World on 116th Street in Harlem and Battle-dancewise. Battles are covered in more detail in the section on battles, challanges, and contests, but the important thing as fas as the history of Breakdancing is concerned is that Breakdancing was particularly well-suited for competition. And not only was the Good Foot well- suited for dance battles, it appealed to certain young men who were very athletic.

The Good Foot, which was soon to be called B-Boy and shortly after that Breakdancing, or Breaking, was very different from the Breaking we see today. In some ways it was simpler. There were no Headspind. No Windmill. No Handglides or Backspins. It was what is now called old-style Breaking. Old-Style Breaking consisted only of floor work, or Floor Rock, and in a way it was more complex than modern Breaking. There may be some small variations on the Headspin and a Backspin, but basically, a Headspin is a head spin and a Backspin is a back spin. But Floor Rock can involve som extremely complicated leg moves, and it is done very fast. And it did not take long before where were a lot of Breakdancing battles happening.

Among those for whom old-style Breaking was especially popular were many of the youths and street gangs that roamed the South Bronx. And it was in those streets that Breakdancing really started. Often, the best Breakers in opposing gangs would battle dancewise instead of fighting. They would battle over turf. Or because someone stepped on someone else's shoes. They might battle prove that their gang was better than the other gang. Sometimes they would make a contract that the loser would not go around to the winner's neighborhood anymore. Sometimes they battled just to gain each other's respect. Unfortunately, these Breaking battles did not always stop fight. In fact, they often would cause a fight, since dancers would sometimes get physical when they couldn't win dancewise.No one likes to lose. But today Breaking battles have, to a large extent, replaced fighting in the Bronx.

In this way Breakdancing crews-groups of dancers who practice and preform together-were formed. And soon formal crews organized, who not only practiced and preformed together, but who also developed their own dance routines. Some of these crewws became very dedicated to their dancing, and since they had nothing better to do, would spend hours a day praticing, developing more and more complex moves, improving their form, and increasing their speed. And then Afrika bambaataa came along. Bambaataa is the legendary grand master D.J. who is the individual most responsible for the successful growth of Breakdancing. He is a record producer and member of the Soul Sonic Force, whose "Looking For The Perfect Beat" was chosen as the No.4 best single in the 1983 Jazz and pop Critics' Poll. Afrika Bambaataa is also the leader of the Zulu Nation in the Bronx.

In 1969, Afrika Bambaataa saw Breakdancing as more than just dancing. He saw it as a way to achieve something. He saw the potential of Breakdancing, and encouraged the dancers to keep at it. To work hard, and to believe that if they stuck with it, something good would come of it. Bambaataa then started one of the first Breakdance crews, the Zulu Kings. The Zulu Kings won a lot of battles and talent shows and preformed in various clubs in New York. At the same time they won a lot of adherents for the Zulu Nation.

Old-style Breaking remained popular untill about 1977, when the Freak took over, based on the hit record "Freak Out" by the Shieks. Then around 1979 and early 1980 a new Breakdance crew was organized-Rock Steady Crew. Even though Rock Steady Crew was especially talented, a lot of people put them down being old-fashioned. But Bambataa encouraged them. He told them that if they stuck with it, something good would happen. He took them on, and soon they were performing at the Mudd Club, the Ritz, and other Punk rock clubs around New York. When Rock Steady performed for Malcom McLaren and Bow Wow Wow at the Ritz people started taking them seriously. Breakdancing Was In Again.

But the new-style Breaking was different from the old. Rock Steady added a lot of acrobatic moves. Breaking now included not only Floor Rock but Headspins, Backspins, Handglides, and Windmills. In 1981, Charles Ahearn made his Hip-Hop movie, Wild Style, a raw vision of rap singing, graffiti, scratching, and Breakdancing in the Bronx. Ahearn called on Rock Steady to do the Breaking and Rock Steady became the preeminent Breakdance crew and new-style Breaking became even more popular. When the spring of 1982 rolled around the Roxy was a well-established New York roller-skating rink. But the popularity of roller skating quickly began to fade, and in June of '82, Pat Fuji turned the Roxy into a dance club on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. The Roxy quickly became the Hip Hop center. It was here that rappers, D.J.'s, and Breakdancers would perform and hang out.

If you wanted to discover a Breakdancer for your show or video, you would come to the Roxy. Or if you just wanted to watch or learn some new moves, you would come to the Roxy. And the Roxy started to sponsor Breakdance contests, which would help the winners get more recognition. In June, 1983, Pat Fuji hired professional Jazz dancer Rosanne Hoare to run the Street Arts Consortium, whish was a house Breakdancing, rapping, and graffiti art. Rosy was going to officially establish a home for Hip Hop Culture. While the Street Art Consorium never really happened as envisioned, Rosy did provide a home for Breakdancers. She not only provided a place where they could feel at home, but she worked with them as a choreographer, helping to extend their dance possibilities.
Old 04-11-2003, 18:35   #2
Losing it!

Breakdancing is like a paper. I, the teacher, will give you the outline and some tips on what to put in it but ultimately you will decide what it’s like.

First, and most important lesson. If you want to be a successful breakdancer It is important that you stretch, at least two times a day. At this point, how you stretch is up to you. You know what you need to work on. To thine own self be true. In this beginner course I will teach the three main parts of your paper. Top rock, Down rock, and Freezes. So, which one should I start with?
Old 04-11-2003, 18:59   #3
the unattainable kish

Send a message via ICQ to kishkash Send a message via MSN to kishkash
Sweetly Inderesting Stop it!! Pls continue...u have a pupil (until i break my neck )
~~~~~~~~~~~
Ze origional p.I.m.p
karens quote of the day: 'If i were gay it'd be so much easier'

forkMeRaw | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ urmamawantsme@hotmail.com ]
Old 04-11-2003, 19:15   #4
pie crust

Ooo I always wanted to learn breakdance and now I have the chance.. YAY! I will most likely end up in hospital though.. :P Looking forward to the next lesson! (And you can start with whatever you want - maybe the easiest :P Or the most important.. I donno )
~~~~~~~~~~~
Monika | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ <3 ] [ 11 ]
Old 04-11-2003, 20:05   #5
Losing it!

Lets start with Downrock.

Down rock is what breakdancers do while on the ground. In-between all the spins, swipes, freezes, ect, you will see a basic forum. This is called 6-step.

6 Step

The basic fundamental of the dance, although rarely done without extra steps, this forms the basic footwork of all breakdancers. It’s called this because you do it in six steps. Here is how you do it:

1. Adopt a push-up position, but with legs spread. You should be supported by both arms and legs, legs and arms both straight. Don't stick you bum too high in the air.

2. Lift your right arm, place it somewhere out of the way i.e.: on your right hip. Now one arm and two legs support you. Tilt your body slightly by leaning so your right hip is facing slightly upwards. Then keeping your left leg as straight as possible, place your left under your right leg, close to where your right hand was. This should completely twist your position, so you are now being supported still bye your one hand but now with your bum facing downwards instead of up.

3. Both legs should now be straight, jump your right leg, from being straight out behind you, to a bent position (as though you were crouching with one leg) so that your right foot is close to your right knee. Keep your bum off the ground.

4. Swap the positions of your legs, your right leg should not be outstretched and your left leg crouched. As you make this swap your should aim to make some rotation, rather than remaining stationary. The 6step should be a reasonably fluent movement. At the same time change your hand support so you are supporting yourself with your right hand.

5. Swing your outstretched right leg, as far round as it will go to the left. It should now be somewhat wrapped round your left leg. As you do this, transfer your hand support to the middle/front so you are leaning very slightly forward, like a very upright push-up position.

6. Step back with your left leg, so it is now outstretched behind you. Two hands should now support you. Finally bring your right leg under your left and return to the split legged push-up position. Go to Step 1.

You will be making a circle with your body. First, work on making your 6-step as fluid as possible. When you’ve done that, try doing it to music. I’ve tried dancing to all types and I’ve found that Hip Hop works the best, but it’s up to you. (A good CD that I LOVE breakin to is The Blueprint of Hip Hop). Also, make sure you have a good surface to break on. Like unfinished basements, garages, gyms…. Anything with a smooth surface. Although, a big space like a living room, is all that you’ll need for the beginning moves. Just make sure you move anything breakable before you start.

Questions?

Last edited by Stop it!; 04-11-2003 at 20:27.
Old 05-11-2003, 18:02   #6
Losing it!

Here is a shorter explination of 6 step.

1. First, get in the position like if you were doing a push up, but with your feet spread out about 2 feet.

2. Lift your right hand, moving the left hand to where the right hand used to be.

3. Not moving the left leg, move your right leg forward so your knees are close.

4. Not moving your right leg, move your left leg in.

5. Swing your right leg, making a wide arc, wrapping around your left leg.

6. Now, both of your hands are on the floor. Extend your left leg, and then, extend your right leg.

7. Now you are in the starting position. You can repeat the steps from 1.

Once again, it's a very simple move, but it looks cool if you do it right. Learning this move is a must if you want to be good at breakin.

And don't forget to stretch!

Here is what it should look like: http://www.bboy.org/gallery/data/504...6step_mill.wmv

You can see the six step after the foot work and the mills. Also, they try to do a head flip at the end. Their six step was good but the fact that they were breakin in the kitchen and in SOCKS was dangerous! Use commen sence when breakin to avoid injury please!

Last edited by Stop it!; 05-11-2003 at 18:24.
Old 05-11-2003, 22:34   #7
Участник

Oooh, I have always wanted to learn that 6 step, cos it doesn`t seem to be overwhelming difficult. Thanks for the video, Stop it . But I don`t have those cool pants
Can I just wear my old sweat pants? So, no socks. What kind of shoes do you recommend? Or barefooted?
Old 07-11-2003, 06:40   #8
Losing it!

Quote:
Originally posted by prostrel
Oooh, I have always wanted to learn that 6 step, cos it doesn`t seem to be overwhelming difficult. Thanks for the video, Stop it . But I don`t have those cool pants
Can I just wear my old sweat pants? So, no socks. What kind of shoes do you recommend? Or barefooted?
Yes, sweat pants are fine. Anything that is lose and comfy will do. Heck, I’ve seen power moves done in lose, baggie jeans! When it comes to shoes, I would go with anything that’s heavy. Like skater shoes. This will help to build up you legs and gain balance.

The next Lesson will be on my personal favorites … Freezes and Posses .
Practice on your 6-step because we will be using it heavily. Also, next week we will work one variations of the 6-step to help with your transitions! And don’t forget to strech!
Old 07-11-2003, 06:55   #9
заичонок

So, Stop It!, where's Tidyup?
~~~~~~~~~~~
You've cried enough this lifetime, my beloved polar bear
Old 07-11-2003, 09:16   #10
we shout

I can't believe I've been here twice seriously reading the manual and watched the movie file. And lookie what I found!! ..prostrel!! ...

ahahaha.. I must be crazy ..

*off for a long drive still thinking if I should do this*
~~~~~~~~~~~
I will forget my dreams
Nothing is what it seems
I will effect you
I will protect you
From all the crazy schemes

You traded in your wings
For everything freedom brings

You never left me
You never let me
See what this feeling means
Old 07-11-2003, 14:53   #11
Losing it!

The only homework for the weekend is to work on your 6-step. Make sure it’s tight. Also, some inspiration to get you thinking of what you will be learning. This clip is from the 2000 Battle Of The Year.

http://www.bboy.org/gallery/data/504...year_2000.mpeg

See you all Monday.
Old 07-11-2003, 16:59   #12
Участник

[quote]Originally posted by Stop it!
[b]The only homework for the weekend is to work on your 6-step. Make sure it’s tight. Also, some inspiration to get you thinking of what you will be learning. This clip is from the 2000 Battle Of The Year.

Thanks for the clips, Stop it! . I`m going to practise at this weekend. Last time I did some streching was about 5 months ago so I start from that and I want to do it properly. I know that my body is going to be tender/sore after this weekend. I have one question: When you do breakdancing you need some muscles, right? I know that the right tecnique is important but I think it`s not enough, you need also strength. So my question is, how do you develop your muscles? Do you have any particular ways to do that? Or do you just practise those moves and that`s all?

miss D , were you surprised? I said to you earlier that I like dancing and I don`t like slowies, you remember? So, breakdance is hardly a slowie...
Old 07-11-2003, 17:27   #13
Losing it!

Quote:
I know that my body is going to be tender/sore after this weekend.
LOL. 6-Srep is a very basic move. Unless you're practicing it for 12 hrs straight, I don't think youЎ'll be in any pain. But your getting the right idea. Breakdancing is basicly a workout. YouЎ'll understand next week.
Quote:
I have one question: When you do breakdancing you need some muscles, right?
This is a common misconception about Breakers. Yea, muscles help, but you donЎ't realy need them. If you look at a lot of the moves in the BOTY clip you will see that it's more about balance! Balance is key in almost every power move.
Quote:
I know that the right tecnique is important but I think it`s not enough, you need also strength.
Your half right. The right technique is important but you need your balance and good coordination more than you need strength.
Quote:
So my question is, how do you develop your muscles? Do you have any particular ways to do that? Or do you just practise those moves and that`s all?
Well, I personally only have one exercise that I use to build up my upper body. I place my feet on a high chair, you can use anything, and hold the position for as long as I can. Each time I hold it longer than the last. If you do this easy exercise along with breakin your arms and abs will be cut!! Mind you, this will hurt more than 6-Step. Don't forget to strech before and after everything you do.
Old 07-11-2003, 18:18   #14
Участник

[quote][i]Originally posted by Stop it!
Your half right. The right technique is important but you need your balance and good coordination more than you need strength. QUOTE]

Well, that was good news! Though my upper body is in good condition. My balance is quite good (thanks for the taiji) and my coordination has always been good. Thanks Stop it! and have a nice weekend!
Old 09-11-2003, 03:10   #15
Losing it!

I know I said I would start on Freeze’s on Monday ...

But I changed my mind. The weekend is the best time to practice so …

A freeze or pose is when you stop all movement and hold the position for a few seconds. We will start with one of the easiest. Turtles.

Turtles

The turtle freeze is one of the basic positions used throughout many breaking moves. Many ground freezes stem from the turtle position, and many variations can be experimented and created.
1. Turtle freezes are one of the most basic freezes. For beginners, start on your knees.

2. From your knees, go forward and place your elbows into your gut (right below your ribs to each side, between your stomach and hip).
Generally they should be someplace somewhat comfortable, or that doesn’t hurt. For the most part, it just takes some time getting use to. Make sure they are far apart enough so that they are not close together, but not so that they’ll easily slip out.

3. Now lift your legs and lean your lower body to rest on your elbows, balancing on your arm. Your legs will be bent and apart from each other, almost like a “U”. Your arms should be in a 90 degree angle. Your hands should not be facing directly forward but to the side.
Don’t focus on keeping your legs strait or closed together, or else you will not be able to balance. The reason this position is called the turtle freeze is because that’s what it looks like.

4. You should learn to get into this position easily and be able to hold if for as long as you want (that is meaning that balance isn’t an issue).
If you cannot balance in this position at all, you can either start with your head resting on the ground, or use a small stool to rest your raised legs.
For starters, it may be seem very hard to even hold for three seconds without feeling like your under intense pressure. Remember to breathe! Since this freeze is based mostly on balance and not so much strength, just keep working at it and it will come.

Tips:
-Put your elbows in the most comfortable position for you. Hands are palm to palm, facing out.
-Focus on balance, and don't try to keep your legs strait or closed.
-Remember to breathe!

This is a pic of what they should look like: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...99041419fbWWeT
Old 09-11-2003, 21:13   #16
pie crust

W0000t.. They breakdance in groups.. That's so cool.. Especially when two of them start breakdancing together.. That's the coolest thing I've ever seen

PS. I can't practice for a while because I'm sick But I'll try to catch up later
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 09-11-2003, 22:16   #17
Участник

I finally had time to practise 6 step. I`m not 100% sure that I got it right. It would be good to have someone watching when I`m doing it or video camera would be even better to have. At least it would be fun to watch it afterwards.

I did the Turtle freeze too. So far I can do it like this: I place my elbows under my hip to the point where my hip bones are. Then I lean my lower body to rest on my elbows and then I lift my legs and I`m not sure in what position they are but they are off the ground. I can`t keep myself up like that guy in that picture, my arms are too weak for that, so I have to turn my face to the right/left so that I don`t hurt my nose. In this position I can be 3-5 seconds so far. But if I do it every day few times maybe I someday can do it better, I hope.

At the beginning of that "6 step" video that guy does some nice steps, stepping his legs crosswise. I tried that too and it was a good way to get my body warm. What is that song in the video? I liked it.

And I learned something else: I should do vacuuming/hoovering before I start to practise "Turtle freeze" position. I still have some rubbish in my mouth.

Thank you Stop it! for Turtle instructions!
Old 10-11-2003, 00:25   #18
Losing it!

prostrel.
Try to get a friend or a sibing, anyone to look at your 6-Step. Even if they don’t know how to fix it themselves, they should be able to tell you what’s wrong with it. Ask them if it looks good. Family members are espcialy over-critical, they are the best. Or, you can try getting one of your friends to learn with you. Start up a crew.

It’s good to hear you have already started on the turtle position. I don’t think that your arms have a lot to do with how long you can hold it. If you notice, when you come out of that position it’s not your arms that hurt, it’s what? Your stomach! Work on finding a comfy position, and if your having balance problems, use the arm of your sofa or a high stool.

Quote:
At the beginning of that "6 step" video that guy does some nice steps, stepping his legs crosswise. I tried that too and it was a good way to get my body warm.
Yea, that’s called Uprock or Toprock. It’s used to get peoples attention and forum a circle in crowds for room to Break. We’ll get to it soon enough.

Quote:
And I learned something else: I should do vacuuming/hoovering before I start to practise "Turtle freeze" position. I still have some rubbish in my mouth.
LOL

Quote:
W0000t.. They breakdance in groups.. That's so cool.. Especially when two of them start breakdancing together.. That's the coolest thing I've ever seen.
QueenBee. Another vid with some group breakin just for you. It’s from The BOTY in 2002: http://www.bboy.org/gallery/data/504/50256BOTY_2002.wmv
Old 10-11-2003, 00:34   #19
pie crust

Quote:
just for you
Aaww I feel so special Downloading the video right now though.. Oh and thanks for exisiting, 'cause I've always wanted to learn how to breakdance, heehee.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 10-11-2003, 00:44   #20
OG

Send a message via AIM to madeldoe
oOh great thread!! hee too bad im no bgirl, me es a popper wish i had a vidcam to record hip hop night for you guys

Stop it!, show some bgirl vids!! come on now!
~~~~~~~~~~~
"im fly as hell. swagga right. brown skin poppin like, dynamite"
ReplyPost New Thread