Unofficial site of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU
Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum Sports and Entertainment

The L Word (Part 1)

Closed ThreadPost New Thread

Old 29-03-2004, 13:26   #41
The best

Thanks TLFdk

I've downloaded the programme and I'm gonna try it right now.

Thanks again.

Old 30-03-2004, 21:07   #42
you'll need love

Hope you figured it out, marmalou
~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't waste your time on me you're already
the voice inside my head

Old 30-03-2004, 23:02   #43
Участник

PowerPuff Grrl

It's good to see you again too. This last ep was really good also, I felt it was more real than anything i've seen soo far. It had lots of women that looked like my friends. Plus, the Alice pushing Jenny hard back onto the bed then diving in her own brought back memories. I'm sad that the there are only two more eps though. What will I do? It wen't by so fast and it's still kind of like I'm dreaming all this. Like I'm going to wake up and there was never an L word, just a dream that I can now hardly remember.

Old 01-04-2004, 03:22   #44
The Dream is Over, :~(

Re: PowerPuff Grrl

Quote:
Originally posted by bgirlnikki
I'm sad that the there are only two more eps though. What will I do? It wen't by so fast and it's still kind of like I'm dreaming all this. Like I'm going to wake up and there was never an L word, just a dream that I can now hardly remember.
Pray to God the DVD comes out soon enough with extended and/or deleted scenes, commentary, outtakes, cast interviews, the works.

At least that is what I am doing because I am frustrated of downloading this off of Kazaa. I shouldn't have to, dagnabit! It is filmed in my country, we should have access to viewing this show. Why does Western Canada only get to see this? What the hell did Eastern Canada do to deserve this?
Oh, wait... nevermind.

Old 01-04-2004, 03:44   #45
i need to be loved.

hi, i was wondering if anyone could upload the episodes onto an ftp server. it would make it easier for people to download and such. thanks.

Old 06-04-2004, 18:58   #46
Echoes among the Stars

So there was an article in yesterday's New York Times about one of the actresses on this show, Mia Kirshner - a nice article, very complimentary to her and to "The L-Word." Good TV shows are rare, I hope this one's as good as everyone's saying - maybe one day I'll see some of it

As some other people have said, I can't think of any reason why it's preferable that gay actresses play gay roles There's suspension of disbelief in all theatre, why should this be any different?

Almost all the actresses that I know - straight actresses - who have played love or sex scenes with another woman have said that it's easier and more fun with a woman than with a man, actually. Which isn't that surprising - since we're not talking about sex and being turned on - but about, I don't know, comfort and levels of inhibition.

As for "acting gay" ... it's strange, I admit I don't understand why what appeals to you sexually should so often have a relation to how you behave or "act" (so that if you see a flamboyant or effiminate guy you're almost positive he's gay) but what's in your mind often comes across in your body - in your expressions, or movements, or SOMETHING.

Not just being gay or straight, but age, gender, nationality, almost everything, comes across in the way you move and talk ... at least, I'm starting to think so. The way people move tells you a lot about them; it's very personal. A 55-year-old secretary I know walks differently from a 35-year-old professor, who walks differently from my 20-year-old Asian suitemate, who sits differently a fortysomething black woman I saw once on a bus ... of course I know we are not just talking about walking and sitting ... but it's true that most of the way we move and present ourselves has a lot to do with who we are and how we live.

Sometimes I play a game: from the way I walk, the way I stand, sit, talk I can usually guess whether people will see me as American or European - for example, if I feel more American, I hold myself a little differently, and it almost always comes across. Sometimes it's unconscious; you can do it consciously too: acting is about using your body to create a character - because an audience can't see what's inside your head, it's the way you externalize it that makes it work.

I can understand the "there are no stereotypes" argument, that what appeals to people sexually doesn't entail or presuppose a certain kind of behavior or attitude ... and I think that's true, but on the other hand the way you see things and people often manifests itself somehow in the way people see you. And the best actors and actresses don't just play stereotypical behavior but make it personal to the character they're playing.

Does that make sense? I don't think it takes an earthshattering actress to convincingly play someone gay - and then convincingly play someone straight - I don't see that it's any harder than playing someone rich and then someone who has to count every penny. Or someone who's Jewish, if they're an atheist or Christian ... people do this kind of thing all the time. Because there's been anti-Semitism, should Jewish actors be given all the Jewish roles? I don't see how that argument makes any sense at all.

Old 08-04-2004, 21:28   #47

Send a message via AIM to ypsidan04
I completely forgot this earlier, but here's a great example of being able to act gay without being gay in real life: Alyson Hannigan. She was very convincing at times on Buffy.

http://www.atpictures.com/display.ph...=aalyson4r.jpg

LOL @ the quote!

Old 09-04-2004, 00:20   #48
the unattainable kish

Send a message via ICQ to kishkash Send a message via MSN to kishkash
was able to dload a few episodes....all star cast indeed

and a big w00t @ mia krishner ZA CANADIAN

Old 12-04-2004, 16:00   #49

I am aware that there are some of you guys that are behind in viewing the episodes and it is totally unfair for you guys to be exposed to spoilers from people the have seen newer episodes. However, it is also unfair for ask that all discussion pertaining to those newer episodes be withdrawn. I have to get this off of my chest, so I hope this works. The text below this should be hidden, to read it you have to highlight it with your mouse. You know, it's like how they do it in other messages.

I hope this works.

SPOILERS...

Oh good lordy I need a shoulder to cry on.
Mr. Piddles, Shane, Tina!!!
Ok, when I asked for hot girl-on-girl sex I didn't mean it to be violent, or involved with infidelity, damnit!!! Oh man, that scene with Bette and Tina was difficult to watch. Tina sooo does not deserve any of this, she is so sweet, kind, and hot! (Did you guys notice how hot she was when she got up from under that sink). That slap was hard, but so satisfying. Though Bette is one of my favourite characters I cheered when she got bitch-slap.

I have to say that the episodes prior to this were really underwhelming. I was this close (Holds up thump and index finger together) to quit watching because freaking dolphins and manatees were getting more action than the women on the show. That and the show was kind of beginning to suck. But Goddamn did this episode redeem itself. I actually tolerated Jenny, freaking-Jenny. I'll even go so far to say that I like Jenny now, but for the love of God please don't let me see any of that so called "poetry."

...END SPOILERS.

I'll have more to add later, gots to go and study.

Old 13-04-2004, 09:30   #50
you'll need love

LMAO @ dolphins comment

haven't seen the last episode yet, but read the spoilers anyway.. if they are there I'll read them
Thank you for not spoiling the episode too much

*looking forward to the final episode*
~~~~~~~~~~~
the voice inside my head

Old 26-04-2004, 23:37   #51
OG

Send a message via AIM to madeldoe
LOL I cheered too when Tina slapped Better..i was pradtically yelling "what are you thinking?!" and "dont do it!" at the screen..good times

does anyone know when the dvd comes out?
~~~~~~~~~~~
"im fly as hell. swagga right. brown skin poppin like, dynamite"

Old 27-04-2004, 14:08   #52
you'll need love

according to amazon.com there is no release date set yet. But you can sign up for a notification.
~~~~~~~~~~~
the voice inside my head

Old 29-04-2004, 21:13   #53
kis$ it

Send a message via AIM to Lux Send a message via MSN to Lux Send a message via Yahoo to Lux Send a message via Skype™ to Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishkash
was able to dload a few episodes....all star cast indeed

and a big w00t @ mia krishner ZA CANADIAN
didnt know she was kanehdienne she's the hottest one imo but gawd her characamature is just froozin annoying

Old 30-04-2004, 01:38   #54
OG

Send a message via AIM to madeldoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
she's the hottest one imo but gawd her characamature is just froozin annoying
pfft..katherine moenning's ze hottest one..mMmm shane..mMmm
~~~~~~~~~~~
"im fly as hell. swagga right. brown skin poppin like, dynamite"

Old 30-04-2004, 06:28   #55
the unattainable kish

Send a message via ICQ to kishkash Send a message via MSN to kishkash
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataku
pfft..katherine moenning's ze hottest one..mMmm shane..mMmm
fo rizzle!!

she's canadian too...if that means having to film the show in vancouver *off to the west coast to stalk her* LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~
Ze origional p.I.m.p
karens quote of the day: 'If i were gay it'd be so much easier'

forkMeRaw | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ urmamawantsme@hotmail.com ]

Old 30-04-2004, 17:19   #56
Участник

Hey guys, guess what I found! Thought there should have been a lot more of Shane, Dana and Alice in #13 "Locked up"? Well take a look at their original scenes as originally written! They are hillarious!
http://www.thelwordonline.com/locked..._exerpts.shtml
Enjoy!
And by the way .... Bette is the most hot! Can you say ... "Sex on the wall"!?

Old 01-05-2004, 01:45   #57

Thou shall not deny the spectacular breasts of one Mizz Lara Perkins.
ALL BOW BEFORE THEM!!!

That and Bette's biceps, good God I could look at that woman's arms forever.

Honourable mentions:
Tina; runner up in the titty department and wholesome hotness.
Dana; another runner up in the titty department, as well as her goofy hotness.
Shane; her voice and her hands. I would comment on her exquisite hotness but those two just overshadow everything else.
Tim; I would explain but I don't think you guys would want to hear it.

If Jenny gained some weight she would definitely be up there. For now though, she is just too damn skinny.

Old 05-05-2004, 01:46   #58
Участник

Just thought I would put in my favorite qoutes from the L word. This is when Tim goes to confront Marina about her affair with his girlfriend, Jenny.

Tim: "What is it you do, you girls? Should I even care? Huh? Does it even count?"

Marina: "Well, you were there. You saw how much it counts."

Oh, did I say Marina Rocks!?

Old 05-05-2004, 04:32   #59
kis$ it

Send a message via AIM to Lux Send a message via MSN to Lux Send a message via Yahoo to Lux Send a message via Skype™ to Lux
what do people think of the representation of lesbian relationships/lesbian portrayals on the show?
i feel the relationships portrayed and ideas of lesbians are idealistic enough to be believable but unrealistic enough to be idealistic. the things that happen (like girls kissing each other without seemingly discussing orientation towards women, things just happen out of strong attraction) border idealism and unrealism so exactly that they are believable, and offer me alot of assurance that love between women occur. the writers and producers of the show have to be getting these idease somewhere, and i'm hoping that place lies somewhere close to reality.

Old 05-05-2004, 18:24   #60

Quote:
what do people think of the representation of lesbian relationships/lesbian portrayals on the show?
Since I'm not really part of the gay community, please take what I say as an outside perspective on things. I do not think that this show is representing the entire community. For one, not all lesbians are that femme. Now apparently lesbians in L.A. are quite girly so maybe they are representing that community.

Another thing is the racial make-up of the cast. Kit isn't really part of the clique, so you can't really include her. As for Bette, she is passing, and the actress (Jennifer beals) has been passing until recently throughout most of the 80's and 90's. (I only found out that she was biracial when the show first began). Considering all this, it is pretty much an all white cast... in L.A., ironically, which is one of the most multi-cultural cities in the States.
This, sadly, isn't the first show to do that. Countless of others have done the same and even worse, in other shows the extras are even lily-white. At least in The L Word reccurring and minor characters and of an ethnic minorty, so I'll give them that.

However, this observation doesn't mean that I want the role of Tina/Dana/Alice/Shane reassigned to an actress of colour, because I just about love all of these actresses. And this sure as hell doesn't mean that more resources should be spent on acquiring such actors rather than developing intriguing storylines. (I do not want Jenny's storyline to be even crappier than what it already is).
Because in the end, it is all about the story and not the representation.

Quote:
the writers and producers of the show have to be getting these idease somewhere, and i'm hoping that place lies somewhere close to reality.
The stories of Bette and Jenny reflect that of the head writer and creator of the show, Ilene Chaiken. The storyline involving Bette and Tina's aquisition of sperm (I never thought I'd type that down) was a result of Chaiken's research on gay parents. With the other storylines, I have no idea.

It is kind of sad though, hearing that the Jenny's plot comes from the head writer because that explains why viewers are dragged through so much of it and it means that we will never see the end of it.

Closed ThreadPost New Thread