Go Back   Unofficial forum of group TATU General Forum Politics and Science

George W. Bush named 'Man Of The Year' by Time magazine

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 19-12-2004, 23:18   #1
a kind of fresh madness

George W. Bush named 'Man Of The Year' by Time magazine

Oh, for f#cks sake!

Quote:
NEW YORK - President Bush’s bold, uncompromising leadership and his clear-cut election victory made him Time magazine’s “Person of the Year” for 2004, its managing editor said on Sunday.

Time chose Bush “for sticking to his guns (literally and figuratively), for reshaping the rules of politics to fit his 10-gallon-hat leadership style and for persuading a majority of voters this time around that he deserved to be in the White House for another four years,” Jim Kelly wrote in the magazine.

Bush was also Time’s choice to appear on the cover in 2000 after winning the presidential election despite losing the popular vote.

His father, President George H. W. Bush, was named “Man of the Year” in 1990 for what Time called his mastery of foreign policy and his wavering domestic record.

“Obviously many supporters of the president will be pleased, many people who do not support the president will probably sigh,” Kelly said.

“But even those who may not have voted for him will acknowledge that this is one of the more influential presidents of the last 50 years.”

Kelly said he and his staff debated giving the award to others including Karl Rove, the president’s influential political adviser, and filmmakers Michael Moore and Mel Gibson.

The winner must be “the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or for ill, and embodied what was important about the year, for better or for worse,” he said.

American aviator Charles Lindbergh was Time’s first “Man of the Year” in 1927. Some selections have been notoriously unpopular, such as Adolf Hitler in 1938, Joseph Stalin in 1939 and 1942, and Iran’s Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in 1979.

This year the magazine named the conservative “Power Line” as its first “Blog of the Year.” Kelly said blogs, Web sites that often mix news, gossip and opinion, are “here to stay.”
I love how the article says the chosen person can affect lives "for good or for ill" but yet neglects to mention which side of the fence Bush is on.
I guess it's too risky for a high-profile magazine like Time to expose Bush for the immoral, money-grabbing, war-hungry, stupid son of a whore that he is!
What the fuck is wrong with America? They should've given this "honour" to Michael Moore -at least he's trying to do what's best for the United States. What's best for the U.S. has never been something that concerns the Bush family!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
or is it just to humour us before we die?
Old 19-12-2004, 23:52   #2
Lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossopp
Oh, for f#cks sake!
I guess it's too risky for a high-profile magazine like Time to expose Bush for the immoral, money-grabbing, war-hungry, stupid son of a whore that he is!
!

How that stupid f*ckwit Bush can be named man of the year is beyond me.
There must be so many others who have done work for charity or something more deserving of this.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Everybodys born to do a certain thing,If you're dead jammy you find it.
If you're good at it keep doing it.If you're fed up go and do something else.
We're really only here to look after the place
Old 20-12-2004, 00:04   #3
no....

Quote:
They should've given this "honour" to Michael Moore -at least he's trying to do what's best for the United States. What's best for the U.S. has never been something that concerns the Bush family!
Wow, the ammount of things wrong with that statement... i can't even begin. I don't Like Bush at all... but, wow... you think he'd be any better... you really don't have your facts straight at all......... nope.

But it makes sense, Man of The Year doesn't really mean "The Best Man of the Year" ... but "The Man who made most of an Impact This Year"... and i'd dare say, he takes the cake!

... just to say, can't any of you think levelheadedly about this whole Bush thing, i mean, i know so many of you don't like him at all, i don't either, but whenever he comes up you just go "Americans are so stupid" blah blah blah Bush is an idiot blah blah blah. I mean, just look at what it says about the award and you'd understand where it comes from, he certainly had EVERYONE talking this year, it makes perfect sense... so just live with it, we have to
Old 20-12-2004, 00:06   #4
a kind of fresh madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurgi
Wow, the ammount of things wrong with that statement... i can't even begin.... but, wow... you think he'd be any better... you really don't have your facts straight at all......... nope.
In your opinion.
Care to elaborate?
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
Old 20-12-2004, 00:10   #5
no....

He's a documentary maker! what more? He tells people what to think by editing... he's not exactly changing the world with real action just skewing facts to gain their support! That's why he wouldn't deserve it at all. I'd rather it go to someone a bit more honest (but that doesn't seem to exist in the world anymore)
Old 20-12-2004, 00:23   #6
a kind of fresh madness

Moore presents facts. There's no "skewing" involved!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
Old 20-12-2004, 00:28   #7
no....

yes there are! i've seen his film and while i don't claim to know everything about what's going on in my own country, but there are some serious things wrong with what he presents in "F911" and "Bowling for Columbine" ... even my very liberal brother found that the way he shows these things are VERY "skewed"
Old 20-12-2004, 00:56   #8
a kind of fresh madness

So give me some examples.
Seriously, I'm interested to hear your views.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
Old 20-12-2004, 01:05   #9
no....

hahaha, it's been so long i can't think of any, but i remember being incredibly unsure about 1/2 of both movies, it's just about reading between the lines in these instances and not believing everything your told, especially from the highly conservative and highly liberal... If i ever feel like watching the movie again, i'll give you some examples though (i'll pm you or something)
Old 20-12-2004, 01:21   #10
Bitchka

Of course Moor's documentaries are very biased and manipulative, and not 100% truth .... but that's their goal, to get provoke emotions, to get you thinking ... etc
I dont agree with you, thegurgi, when you say he doesnt deserve it at all, because he is documentarist .... his documentaries made big impacts, and i dont know of a single person that lives in USA and havent seen them.

As for why Bush won is obvious, as said above, its not who is the BEST, but : "the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or for ill, and embodied what was important about the year, for better or for worse". Should you have any doubts thats the W this year?

Of course, you know that if Bush hadnt won the election, it would probably be another choice, but thats a different story ...
~~~~~~~~~~~
oh... o!
Old 20-12-2004, 01:27   #11
no....

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasfcuk
and i dont know of a single person that lives in USA and havent seen them.
I know quite a few, and i don't think his documentaries made as big of an impact as so many think he has.
Old 20-12-2004, 05:13   #12
the unattainable kish

Send a message via ICQ to kishkash Send a message via MSN to kishkash
SCORE!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Ze origional p.I.m.p
karens quote of the day: 'If i were gay it'd be so much easier'

forkMeRaw | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ urmamawantsme@hotmail.com ]
Old 20-12-2004, 09:40   #13
Santa's bodyguard

Quote:
What the fuck is wrong with America? They should've given this "honour" to Michael Moore -at least he's trying to do what's best for the United States.
What? Lie through his teeth to push an agenda? That's what Bush does. If you have to choose between which liars made bigger impact I'll always go with liar who has more important job.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Ho, ho, ho. Santa is in town. And he has a list of naughty girls.

Proud "no club member" club member

Life sucks so why don't you just drop your pants and enjoy it?

Tatysite, love or leave it. And don't bother complaining, thread will be closed.
Old 20-12-2004, 13:03   #14
Lazy

The more i think about it the more i realise what a stupid award this actually is.
I bet GW is proud he got this award.
For example did any magazines bother to give an award to Christopher Reeve or his family?(they may have i genuinely don't know)
On the Michael Moore point..I like what he's trying to do but for me he goes for cheap point scoring rather than trying to actually do anything.
(slightly off topic here but..I always found our own Mark Thomas always got better results than Moore ever would.(in Europe anyway.)
John Pilger and George Monbiot have also exposed corruption better than Moore as well.
If you want to read a good book go for Captive State by Monbiot.It certainly opens your eyes to what is going on in Britain and the 1st chapter with the Skye Bridge protests and Robbie the Pict is infuriating and hilarious.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Everybodys born to do a certain thing,If you're dead jammy you find it.
If you're good at it keep doing it.If you're fed up go and do something else.
We're really only here to look after the place
Old 20-12-2004, 15:27   #15
Santa's bodyguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZ
The more i think about it the more i realise what a stupid award this actually is.
I bet GW is proud he got this award.
You do realise that that this isn't for "most positive man of the year"? Seeing how Hitler got it (1938), Stalin (1942) and Homeini (1979)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZ
For example did any magazines bother to give an award to Christopher Reeve or his family?(they may have i genuinely don't know)
And what world-shattering event did he do?
~~~~~~~~~~~

Tatysite, love or leave it. And don't bother complaining, thread will be closed.
Old 20-12-2004, 15:35   #16
Sad Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to freddie Send a message via MSN to freddie Send a message via Yahoo to freddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxxi
You do realise that that this isn't for "most positive man of the year"? Seeing how Hitler got it (1938), Stalin (1942) and Homeini (1979)
Exactlly. It's far from an accolade status. They considered Osama Bin Laden as well, a year or so back.
~~~~~~~~~~~
freddie | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ multyman@hotmail.com ]

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Old 20-12-2004, 15:39   #17
Santa's bodyguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie
Exactlly. It's far from an accolade status. They considered Osama Bin Laden as well, a year or so back.
I think it was in 2001.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 20-12-2004, 15:58   #18
pie crust

I think I kind of agree with the award-thingie.. He wasn't the BEST man, but he made such a big impact, I mean, there were so many discussions about him... It's like, everybody thinks SOMETHING of George W. Bush.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Monika | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ <3 ] [ 11 ]
Old 20-12-2004, 23:25   #19
My Waking Hour

Not surprised at all...I actually was telling a friend of mine just 2 weeks ago that Bush is gonna turn into a hero and after he steps down he's gonna be regarded as a peace maker.
Jee, man, I've come into the position of cracking a lot more "unpredictable" things than that, how can this one be considered a big deal...this is elementary stuff sister, mind manipulation of the third degree.
He was re-elected after all, WASN'T HE?

but now we see how the "hero" gonna fix the situation in Iraq coz its pretty screwed up at the moment

what a D-O-R-K

PS. Queenbee, wake up! ( No I haven't seen Moore's stuff and I'm not gonna see it, I'd rather not watch a rigged thing about the man when I got my own opinion about the man. Don't matter what Moore says, he's just another liberal pawn )
Old 21-12-2004, 07:32   #20
pie crust

Quote:
PS. Queenbee, wake up!
I just did.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Monika | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ <3 ] [ 11 ]
ReplyPost New Thread